+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is a 400 DPI mouse suitable for otherwise modern setup?

Junior Member Lockdown is on a distinguished road

Is a 400 DPI mouse suitable for otherwise modern setup?

I noticed that a lot of the pros use only 400 DPI mice such as the WMO and IMO 1.1a. But I wonder whether its that they are USED to playing with lower resolutions such as 640x480 and 800x600 like in the old days of Q3.

Are mice like the WMO good enough for modern day resolutions like 1920x1080 or would it result in pixel skipping and sluggishness... because apparently some pros are saying that on a modern high res set up 400 DPI can feel very odd indeed.

Junior Member Platzpatron is on a distinguished road
    That depends on the mouse sensitivity you use in QL. For lower sens (for example 5 inch mouseway for a 360 degree turn) 400 dpi is no problem, for high sens you need more dpi if you don't want to zoom for far shots.

The bigger problem of old mice like Intelli Explorer/Optical 1 and 1.1 is that they lose track when moved too fast. This is solved with Intelli Explorer 3.0, with the first Explorer i had to use high sens and take the skipped pixels for not running into tracking problems.

Junior Member Lockdown is on a distinguished road
    But isn't the G400 better than the IME 3.0 in almost every way? For starters 800 DPI feels far smoother than 400 DPI on a 1920x1080 monitor. My aim was far worse with the IME 3.0 on default sensitivity (4) than with the G400 on its native setting (800 DPI) and default sensitivity (4). I also think the Avago S3095 sensor seems to have less 'sluggishness' than the MLT04. I think the IME 3.0 is quite obsolete nowadays. 800 DPI is the minimum standard for a mouse... I can't see how 400 DPI is usable in most circumstances... I know pros use 400 DPI most commonly but I think its a case of being used to it if you are an old school Q3 player and used to low res and having older gen gaming mice using MLT04 (IMO, IME, WMO).

Junior Member Platzpatron is on a distinguished road
    I can't find the Intelli 3.0 atm, but i don't remember there was any noticeable weakness compared to the MX 510.

Of course you have to adjust sensitivity with another resolution, 4 is not the same with all mice.

Just compared the 1800 and the 450 dpi setting of my Razer. Had to raise sensitivity from 2 to 8 for the same speed - no difference in playability. Skipping was only visible with sensitivity 40, but this speed is anyway unplayable for me.

Don't bother about Sensors. Much more important are static and sliding friction behaviour of the Mousefeet/Mousemat combination and your own skill.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    I'd get a new zowie, for example am, fk or ec2 evo.

That or wait for bst's mice, scheduled to be out around august.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Member Retribution is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post
    I noticed that a lot of the pros use only 400 DPI mice such as the WMO and IMO 1.1a. But I wonder whether its that they are USED to playing with lower resolutions such as 640x480 and 800x600 like in the old days of Q3.

Are mice like the WMO good enough for modern day resolutions like 1920x1080 or would it result in pixel skipping and sluggishness... because apparently some pros are saying that on a modern high res set up 400 DPI can feel very odd indeed.
    Well, 14 years ago 400 DPI was all you would ever need for the commonly used resolutions. They are considerably higher today, but something like 3000 DPI has no practical use. It's just "gamer gear" marketing. Unfortunately the majority of the people who buy the equipment don't know any better. 800 DPI should be more than enough for the high resolutions of today. Strenx uses 800 DPI and DaHanG uses 1500, I think. Chances are a lot of 400 DPI players are using settings they've had forever.

Senior Member gpig is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post
    Is a 400 DPI mouse suitable for otherwise modern setup?
    Yes, it is.

+ Reply to Thread