+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Benefit of having a paid-for account?

*LizzyLizardface

Benefit of having a paid-for account?

Hi, was just wondering if anybody is able to explain the benefit of a paid account?
    I have no intention of running my own servers as there are too few players to populate the servers already running, so other than that what benefit would I see in paying for an account?

This isn't a troll question, I'm happy with the idea of paying simply to contribute, but I'm wondering what other benefits there are besides setting your own server rules, if there are any.
    Cheers

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    spawning severs is something for a pro subscription. If you don't need it, you can get premium. It entitles you to join premium servers (public or spawned) without invitation and it removes pre-game advertisements. Some small gimmicks are several cvars you can use (killsounds, per weapon config cvars, etc) as well as premium scoreboards for some modes.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member keefy is on a distinguished road
    I too have no need to spawn servers so I bought th e"premium" subscription.

The benefits are
    No adverts before joining servers.
    Downloads all maps instead of you downloading them as you join a server. Although since they are about 17MB max I doubt thats much a problem to many these days. (8Mbit about 17 seconds)
    A few kill sounds cg_killbeep 8

help I am struggling.

Senior Member whodares is on a distinguished road
    ability to play pickups without requiring an invite (which are active) www.tdmpickup.eu for tdm, ctf www.playquake.in for eu. theres usa country part too. ability to change name if u like once every 3 months (point of thou heh..) supporting your favourite game, extending its longetivity too ...

before thinking that servers are not really that full, make sure to check all populated servers .......

*LizzyLizardface
    Looks like Premium might be worth a go then, how active are the Premium servers? At the moment I see 5-7 populated skill matched FFA games at peak times, which isn't many, and I can only find populated Instagib servers at certain times of the day.
    Is this likely to get better once I can see Premium servers? Currently I can set my server browser to show Premium servers but none display, is this simply because I don't have premium at the moment?
    Cheers

Senior Member Shelby is on a distinguished road
    If you only play FFA theres little benefit in having a subscription.

*LizzyLizardface
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    If you only play FFA theres little benefit in having a subscription.
    I may play other modes in the future, but I wonder why specifically there's no benefit if playing FFA, are there no/very few FFA Premium servers?

Quote Originally Posted by LizzyLizardface View Post
    I may play other modes in the future, but I wonder why specifically there's no benefit if playing FFA, are there no/very few FFA Premium servers?
    Its very rare to find any premium FFA servers active (EU). Unless the situation has changed dramatically in the past 2 weeks when i havent been online.

CA has premium servers with people in most of the day, i usually see a CTF server most evenings, duel i suspect has quite a few but i rarely look. TDM has pickups played frequently threw the day organised through IRC but those servers dont show up in the browser unless you set it to show private matches.

*LizzyLizardface
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    Its very rare to find any premium FFA servers active (EU). Unless the situation has changed dramatically in the past 2 weeks when i havent been online.

CA has premium servers with people in most of the day, i usually see a CTF server most evenings, duel i suspect has quite a few but i rarely look. TDM has pickups played frequently threw the day organised through IRC but those servers dont show up in the browser unless you set it to show private matches.
    Oh, OK. I'm happy with getting a Premium account in order to contribute though, as it's a small fee and I feel the developers have shown pretty good faith in not making the non-paying users cannon fodder for those who pay *COUGH PLANETSIDE 2* *COUGH BATTLEFIELD PLAY4FREE COUGH*.
    I'm a pretty staunch critic of the F2P model because free users are basically content for the paying ones, and even if they don't start as Pay2Win they always end up that way, but Quake Live is truly the exception so I'm cool with paying to support it, and the fact that it'll give me a few more servers in gamemodes I might decide to play later is a nice bonus.
    Thanks for the info.

I should also add a couple of things. Im talking about tier 4 and unrestricted servers as i cant see anything lower than that, i cant say what the activity is like in the lower tiers.

It may be possible to get some premium FFA activity, but it would require having a pro subscription and would take a lot of time building a massive friendlist of people to invite.

+ Reply to Thread