+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speed jumping is horrible - Make it like QuakeWorld

Junior Member Decapitating is on a distinguished road

Speed jumping is horrible - Make it like QuakeWorld

Why is speed jumping so bad in this game?? QuakeWorld had MUCH MUCH better speed jumping. Why doesn't it work the same way so that we can jump around corners and keep momentum??

Member cladinshadows is on a distinguished road
    It isn't bad, it's just different.

Quake World utilizes bunny-hopping technique.
    Quake 2, 3 and 4 utilize strafe-jumping.

Bunny hopping allows you to turn while airborne, strafejumping is more oriented for accelerating in a straight line.
    If you want to bunny-hop you might as well play Quake World; if you are ok with learning strafe jumping, but don't want to let go of bunny-hopping you can play either CPMA, which is q3 mode, that is actually a mix between qw, q2 and q3 physics, or PQL, which is Quake Live version of CPMA. In both CPMA and PQL you can both bunny hop and strafe jump.

Strafe jumping is pointless when speed jumping achieves the same thing including all of the acceleration dynamics.

What is CPMA and PQL and how can I play these on Quake Live servers?

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Decapitating View Post
    Why is speed jumping so bad in this game?? QuakeWorld had MUCH MUCH better speed jumping.
    I came from quakeworld.. I played it for over a decade. I definitely wish the physics could be replicated somewhere but they haven't been. Even CPM/PQL is different since it doesn't allow the 'round hops' you can do while holding forward.

Anyways, Q3 came out in 1999 and it had different physics than quakeworld. QL is based off of Q3, so it's natural that the physics are similar. So the complaint regarding this should have been made ~14 years ago in 1999.

There is Q3 CPMA which incorporates some of the physics from quakeworld, and there is the PQL option in QL which incorporates some of the physics from CPMA. They are not identical copies of one another though.

I think you should keep in mind that the maps/game types often work well with one type of jumping and work poorly with another. It's not that one is always better. The game has to be more or less designed around the physics it uses.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Even CPM/PQL is different since it doesn't allow the 'round hops' you can do while holding forward.
    What does that mean?

In CPM/PQL you can maintain speed in tight turns by keeping only +forward pressed. With strafe keys, you can even accelerate, but the easy mode is just +forward.

You can play PQL match on premium servers spawned by players, just run:
    /callvote ruleset pql

You can do the same in practice games.

There are also public (not spawned by players) PQL CA servers.

Member cladinshadows is on a distinguished road
    Strafe jumping is pointless when speed jumping achieves the same thing including all of the acceleration dynamics.
    Agreed, haha. But it's take it or leave it.

There are some PQL servers for CA, but they are premium, therefore most of the time you'll find youself playing standard server that was modified to feel like PQL, e.g. enabled ramp jump and air control, and also fast weapon switch.

Lorfa,
    Even CPM/PQL is different since it doesn't allow the 'round hops' you can do while holding forward.
    If you speak about releasing strafe keys, holding W and moving your mouse in order to turn in midair, that's possible in both CPMA and PQL.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    What does that mean?

In CPM/PQL you can maintain speed in tight turns by keeping only +forward pressed. With strafe keys, you can even accelerate, but the easy mode is just +forward
    See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7asAFRm4SqU

Junior Member R1per2 is on a distinguished road
    First 40 sec
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqc-7mhVhbI

QW mode in quakelive with old maps would be nice.
    But I love the original quakelive physics too. It's better, than original q2-4 in my opinion.
    Cpma and qw are awesome too, but different, and less popular.

I played QW for over a decade too. Best game ever!
    I can also jump around like those dudes in the vid and I had mad bindings for all of my weapons including rocket jump binds etc. and QW Live is just frustrating the hell out of me with slow weapon switch and restricted movement. I'll see if I can find some PQL servers.

I played QW for over a decade too. Best game ever!
    I can also jump around like those dudes in the vid and I had mad bindings for all of my weapons including rocket jump binds etc. and QW Live is just frustrating the hell out of me with slow weapon switch and restricted movement. I'll see if I can find some PQL servers.
    It took me like a year to get used to QL's lack of air control. It won't happen overnight.

+ Reply to Thread