+ Reply to Thread

Thread: _skybox: Why are the waves not visible?

Junior Member TaraHadrian is on a distinguished road

_skybox: Why are the waves not visible?

I've played around with the Q3Map2-specific entity _skybox. The tutorial says: Deformvertexes shaders can be used on _skybox geometry. So I have made a box for the portalsky with some waves in it. But in the playable world the water is flat. tcMod turb is displayed and if you fly around with noclip you will see that the shader for the waves works perfekt inside the portalskybox. But why is the deformation not projected? Strange. Any suggestions?

I have made a _skybox.zip to have a closer look at (it contains the pk3 for ql, the shader-file, textures and the map) Grab it here

Nice thing: If you jump from the platform you will fall under the watersurface of the portalskybox. And the column is part of the portalskybox, not part of the playable word. But it matches perfekt. There is even z-fighting. Seems that _skybox is a really cool thing.
    Last edited by TaraHadrian; 05-03-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Member Obsidian is on a distinguished road
    ... or you can just do it the way the cool kids do and go 1337.

http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com/down...erlab_1337.zip

Junior Member TaraHadrian is on a distinguished road
    Thanks Obsidian,
    your link gave me a lot of input. To "fake" fog with alpha-blending is a cool idea and allows construktions like the example above. Using real fog in a portalsky always looks strange - if the player moves along the z-axis. So the shaderlab solution is a good one. I have just found my own and will show it, when the map is presentable.

+ Reply to Thread