+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 800 DPI, 2 Sensitivity or 400 DPI 4 sensitivity?

Junior Member Lockdown is on a distinguished road

800 DPI, 2 Sensitivity or 400 DPI 4 sensitivity?

So I am new here, and to Quake Live so I played 20 placement games got placed Tier 4 in FFA and my accuracy is 20% which is quite poor but considering I have hardly played quake I can't expect to know how to shoot well.

I use a Logitech G400 (great mouse) with QcK mat and SideWinder X4 as keyboard. This is probably the most ideal setup for QL IMO. Couldn't be more pleased.

I currently use default settings for Quake with 800 DPI on the G400.

What is better for smooth non-skipping motion 800 DPI 2 sens or 400 DPI 4 sens? I know that pixel point accuracy is vital in QL so I just wanted to know whether there would be any difference between these two settings.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Doesn't make a lick of difference. Use whichever DPI feels better while just browsing the net or something.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I vote for 400 cpi 4 sens.

The difference shouldn't be that large though..

Senior Member JustLOL is on a distinguished road JustLOL's Avatar
    The difference is pretty noticeable, but whether you'd be better off with 400 or 800 cpi, depends on variety of factors. Sensitivity, resolution, sensor, the way you move your mouse, friction, etc. Just try them both for a while, it won't make any critical difference, at least not until a very high level.

800 cpi is one of G400's native resolutions, and it might or might not be inherently better, I'm not sure if there are any other differences between sensor's behavior at native and non-native res, aside from the fact that 400 cpi on G400 is achieved by still reading 800 counts -- but discarding every 2nd one (iirc what the team behind g400 wrote on logitech forum).

I play at 1920x1080, heavy friction mousepad, high-ish sens (22.8cm/360), and I find 800 cpi to be ideal for my setup. I've tried 400 cpi a couple of times, but it felt really sluggish and unresponsive. Otoh, 3600 cpi — the other g400 native res — reacted to every microscopic move and was giving me troubles for every inconsistency in my mouse movement.

Another perhaps more important thing is the polling rate [Hz], but I think g400 works at 500Hz out of the box, so you might not need to change anything about that. I use 1000Hz and I don't see any big difference between the two. Some say 1 kHz has a noticeable impact on system performance and gives less consistent results (sensor-specific), but I don't know to what extent and whether the extra 1ms response time is worth the potential trouble, if there is any.

Anyway, just try playing with different values and see what works best for you. Like I said above, I don't think the difference will really matter until you reach a very high level and technicalities like that become a more pronounced factor that might inhibit your performance.
    "Men no longer prefer blondes; today, gentlemen seem to prefer gentlemen."

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post
    So I am new here, and to Quake Live so I played 20 placement games got placed Tier 4 in FFA and my accuracy is 20% which is quite poor but considering I have hardly played quake I can't expect to know how to shoot well.

I use a Logitech G400 (great mouse) with QcK mat and SideWinder X4 as keyboard. This is probably the most ideal setup for QL IMO. Couldn't be more pleased.

What is better for smooth non-skipping motion 800 DPI 2 sens or 400 DPI 4 sens? I know that pixel point accuracy is vital in QL so I just wanted to know whether there would be any difference between these two settings.
    Watch out for the usb cable issue (2 died in 2months for me) disable the dpi control buttons on the mice in lgs and adjust the dpi from it (the software). Make sure you just have 1 profile and have it set to always and default,otherwise you will get profile changes at random. lgs is trash software as its not dedicated to just 1 product. Enjoy your g400 and logitech has 100% grade A CSR staff so you will have no issues when you have to rma it.
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post

When searching for a new mouse I did some research on the G400, and found that many people believed that this mouse skips pixels when set to 800 or higher DPI. From what I've read about the mouse, I'd stick w/ 400 DPI and leave it there. Focus on your sens/accel settings in game. Ultimately, there's really not much difference between DPI settings in regards to accuracy, but some mice perform better at certain dpi levels than others. Do some research.

Also, if you care what the top pro's are using, most typically use 400-450 dpi.
    Last edited by c3; 05-03-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Member Retribution is on a distinguished road
    At 800 DPI the G400 has optimal tracking rates, meaning that fast movements will be accurate. I don't remember what they were for 400 DPI, but I'm sure it's fine. Reason being it's not likely or perhaps possible to move a mouse at these speeds.

+ Reply to Thread