+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why do I or you rage at times ?

Senior Member 1NSOMN1A is on a distinguished road
    but in reallife you dont get crap if youre the worst player on the team...only in this nerdfest

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1NSOMN1A View Post
    but in reallife you dont get crap if youre the worst player on the team...only in this nerdfest
    You certainly do get crap and awful stares if you do something badly. That's incomparably worse in real life for obvious reasons.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Member miSc is on a distinguished road miSc's Avatar
    Rage orginates from a certain level of fustration and anger, usually because one may feel out of control. We all like to be in control of things, and when we lose it an reaction is natural. But how we react depends on various things, such as the current mood you were in before gaming, circumstances
    (what caused the fustration), and how well you handle resistance in general.

Sometimes players take their fustration out on other players, because they feel helpless to their own problem. Could be a high ping problem, or that it is incredibly hard to face the fact that you are just not good enough.

Regardless of what the reason may be, it's important to look at your reaction. Anger raises the levels of various natural drugs in your system, like adrenaline and noradrenaline , pumping in your body. Amygdala
    (the part of the brain, that controls emotion) - Is going crazy, and wants to do something.

The time between a trigger event and a response from the amygdala can be a quarter of a second! But at the same time, blood flow is increasing to the frontal lobe, specifically the part of the brain that's over the left eye. This area controls reasoning and is likely what's keeping you from hurling a vase across the room. According to some research, the neurological response to anger lasts less than two seconds, which is why it's a good idea to count to 10.

Becoming angry over a larger period of time can be very damaging to your body, both psychological and physical.

There are perhaps many reasons to why we get angry and rage, especially when gaming. But we need to learn how to control these outburts, and or regain control of ourselves.

Anger dosen't help you. It's great for a fighting situation (physical), but your in a virtual gaming server. You do not think about consequenses, how you act, what you say, and sometimes even forgot what happened in the first place. Your brain is too focused on fighting, it cannot focus.

Take a break.. count to 10, let your brain relax for a few and gather its senses and intel correct. You can also do breathing exercises (sounds stupid?).. perhaps, but it can really help you.

Practice your common sense.
    There is a good reason to why some players are alot better than others. Some have a natural talent, a given ability to sense, react, act in in the right combination. Others have gained his / hers abilities, skills, over time. Experience! And there is ofcourse the simple saying: Practice... practice and practice.

There are cheaters aswell (no doubt), those needs to be reported and banned. But gather your evidence first
    ( solid evidence ), a hunch is never enough. (Hunch= intuitive feeling or a premonition). Ergo.. you have a FEELING, not a exact evidence to support your claim. Investigate, gather evidence, present your case to court (QL) and hope for the best. Remember! > Innocent, untill proven guilty.

If you end up playing against cheaters, and your sure of it. Leave the server, find another place. Take a break, and come back later. Do not waste your time arguing with them, or trying to reason. If they choose to cheat in the first place, you are not gonna be able to convince them otherwise.

Personally. I have never had anger issues online, I'm just not that type. What happens online, happens online. It's a game, I don't take it personal. Sure, I can get annoyed.. at times fustrated, but that's usually if my team is ineffective or lack teamwork. I then change my gamplay and move on.. ajusting, adapting.

I have played quake and many other games since early 90's, and I've seen alot of players come and go. Learn to control yourself, read the situation and practice your behavior. Don't loose yourself in a game of entertainment, because it's nothing more than that. Entertainment.

-miSc
    Last edited by miSc; 05-12-2013 at 03:01 AM.
    "Wisdom begins in Wonder" - Socrates (470-399 BCE)

Junior Member AFlyingChicken is on a distinguished road
    if you want to see a guy rage goto youtube and search for rooster teeth rage quit........some funny stuff

*zzbios
    Quote Originally Posted by miSc View Post
    Rage orginates from a certain level of fustration and anger, usually because one may feel out of control. We all like to be in control of things, and when we lose it an reaction is natural. But how we react depends on various things, such as the current mood you were in before gaming, circumstances
    (what caused the fustration), and how well you handle resistance in general.

Sometimes players take their fustration out on other players, because they feel helpless to their own problem. Could be a high ping problem, or that it is incredibly hard to face the fact that you are just not good enough.

Regardless of what the reason may be, it's important to look at your reaction. Anger raises the levels of various natural drugs in your system, like adrenaline and noradrenaline , pumping in your body. Amygdala
    (the part of the brain, that controls emotion) - Is going crazy, and wants to do something.

The time between a trigger event and a response from the amygdala can be a quarter of a second! But at the same time, blood flow is increasing to the frontal lobe, specifically the part of the brain that's over the left eye. This area controls reasoning and is likely what's keeping you from hurling a vase across the room. According to some research, the neurological response to anger lasts less than two seconds, which is why it's a good idea to count to 10.

Becoming angry over a larger period of time can be very damaging to your body, both psychological and physical.

There are perhaps many reasons to why we get angry and rage, especially when gaming. But we need to learn how to control these outburts, and or regain control of ourselves.

Anger dosen't help you. It's great for a fighting situation (physical), but your in a virtual gaming server. You do not think about consequenses, how you act, what you say, and sometimes even forgot what happened in the first place. Your brain is too focused on fighting, it cannot focus.

Take a break.. count to 10, let your brain relax for a few and gather its senses and intel correct. You can also do breathing exercises (sounds stupid?).. perhaps, but it can really help you.

Practice your common sense.
    There is a good reason to why some players are alot better than others. Some have a natural talent, a given ability to sense, react, act in in the right combination. Others have gained his / hers abilities, skills, over time. Experience! And there is ofcourse the simple saying: Practice... practice and practice.

There are cheaters aswell (no doubt), those needs to be reported and banned. But gather your evidence first
    ( solid evidence ), a hunch is never enough. (Hunch= intuitive feeling or a premonition). Ergo.. you have a FEELING, not a exact evidence to support your claim. Investigate, gather evidence, present your case to court (QL) and hope for the best. Remember! > Innocent, untill proven guilty.

If you end up playing against cheaters, and your sure of it. Leave the server, find another place. Take a break, and come back later. Do not waste your time arguing with them, or trying to reason. If they choose to cheat in the first place, you are not gonna be able to convince them otherwise.

Personally. I have never had anger issues online, I'm just not that type. What happens online, happens online. It's a game, I don't take it personal. Sure, I can get annoyed.. at times fustrated, but that's usually if my team is ineffective or lack teamwork. I then change my gamplay and move on.. ajusting, adapting.

I have played quake and many other games since early 90's, and I've seen alot of players come and go. Learn to control yourself, read the situation and practice your behavior. Don't loose yourself in a game of entertainment, because it's nothing more than that. Entertainment.

-miSc

One of the best replies I have ever seen

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    miSc, nice thoughts about raging, except for that part where anger is helpful for fights IRL. Sooo wrong Anger is always bad since it affects judgment.
    VG278HE@120Hz@LightBoost + EC2evo + G-TF speed + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member jayP is on a distinguished road jayP's Avatar
    I rage when I'm tired. My tolerance just plummets, so if I'm playing poorly or if I'm guarding the flag and some idiot steals my items too many times I'll bail. When I'm well rested however I'm pretty much don't care if things are going bad I'm still having fun.

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by vurun View Post
    miSc, nice thoughts about raging, except for that part where anger is helpful for fights IRL. Sooo wrong Anger is always bad since it affects judgment.
    No, as I already stated anger is a natural instinctive physiological reaction that's marked by the release of many types of stress hormones, increased motivation and strength and better fine movement also. And as I stated furthermore, in Quake Live these may not all be appropriate, but some MIGHT, such as increased reaction times. I will not start arguing about this, it's obvious fact.

Anger only affects judgement in certain unnatural situations unlike what you'd experience naturally in the wild. It rubs me the wrong way when people badmouth things like aggression or anger, there is zilch wrong with those or any emotions. What is wrong is when you try to suppress them due to misconceived ideologies.
    Last edited by quakestreme; 05-15-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Senior Member tCrown is on a distinguished road
    I rage at every game, which is probably why i suck at every game too. I broke my G35 headset in half and broke the ear piece from raging at this game, now can only hear in 1 ear. Sometimes i pound my 2 fists on the keyboard, sometimes i think i'm about to break my desk from the pounding.

Senior Member 1NSOMN1A is on a distinguished road
    i only want to rage at quakelive but i cant get more infractions

+ Reply to Thread