+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do I or you rage at times ?

*zzbios
    Great replies I will take it all to heart and decide if this is for me or not, I enjoy the game, but improving is just as important , as for instant gratification and self worth neither should suffer over a video game.

Long Live Quake, blame the player not the game.

Member Vampiress is on a distinguished road Vampiress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quakestreme View Post
    When animals fight their bodies load up on adrenaline, glucocorticoids and other stress hormones and they develop pent up rage to give them the motivation to use their strength. The adrenaline and stress hormones may actually be useful for reaction time etc., however the other stuff gives you lots of real energy for a fight. And yet there you are sitting at your computer. That's where the quick pulse and rage tends to come from... throughout evolution fights were physical.

If you win then your body just tries to leave go of this in the best way possible. You might get up or laugh or something like that. But when you lose, what have is a cornered animal: panicky, fearful and feeling humiliated. They tried everything they could in the game and still didn't match up, so they look to find some reason why it didn't matter anyway: it was cheating, or camping, or the game is lame or some reason like that. It's not so bad, you wouldn't be normal if you didn't rage a bit sometimes.
    +1

I really think you are onto something here. Also the competitive factor; we humans tend to be competitive about a great many things (status, jobs, skills, possessions, physical appearance, etc. - the list goes on). We often try to prove our worth and strive for superiority in the eyes of others in some way or other.

Computer games are no exception to this I think. They can in a way be thought of as a psuedo-contests of strength and worth - something that men in particular have a natural striving for - so when things don't go so well and they are losing to other people, many get agitated and feel perhaps a form of humiliation? But I think that same drive also motivates to become the best, and is probably why you barely ever (never?) see any professional women gamers. Guys are generally more passionate about being the better gamer I think, and therefor also take defeat more seriously.

Though there are of course exceptions, but overall...
    If the lightning gun is a phallic synonym for smacking players about with a sizzling manhood, then I proclaim that the railgun is a yonic synonym for a woman's erect nipples poking people's eyes out

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanger View Post
    Never ever had thoughts about other player(s) being bots/hackers.
    Well I've seen about 2 aimbotters in my life in Quake, but they're really easy to spot (>80% lg accuracy, only use lg, aim snaps from enemy to enemy).

As for the topic: I mostly get mad when I call my team to meet somewhere in CA, they don't show up 4 rounds in a row, and then kick me for 'not being a team player' when I won't eat spam to save their arses.

Junior Member Doom__Guy is on a distinguished road
    When i'm tired of getting my ass handed to me on a silver platter.
    Know me and know fear!!!

Member RaTB is on a distinguished road
    I donīt rage. Itīs only a game so i keep my cool. But then again, if i was younger i probably would have more trouble when everything goes wrong.

As it is i get irritated at times, not at others but my at own play. The result is i try harder and the every time i play even worse. Thats how i know when to take a break from gaming to gather my wits.

Something similar happens when, which is quite often, someone really good enters the playground. It affects my play and i get way more defensive and suck more than usual. Makes it way more impressive to see the pros make a great comeback after getting own on a given map.

Mind game...i donīt have it.

Yet.

Edit: tried to get rid of the most glaring grammatical errors.

Junior Member inQntrl is on a distinguished road
    I was raging ALOT. But finally i was thinking about losing and bad situations.

The thing is easy: If you get beat by someone, its OK. Maybe he is playing the game longer as you. He is better. Maybe he got luck at the moment, but you have luck too sometimes. So i dont care about winning or loosing.

And that improved my gameplay alot =)

*DeviousXII
    It's because I'm the bestest ever, and no one should be able to kill me but they do anyway lol.jk

Senior Member JDB_ is on a distinguished road JDB_'s Avatar
    I get angry if a person who is on the same team I am on purposely does something to mess up the team.

Sometimes I will snap at someone if they mess something up, in the heat of the moment, though I usually apologize.
    Last edited by JDB_; 04-29-2013 at 04:45 AM.

Senior Member dji1 is on a distinguished road
    you need to unwind/rage in a healthy way like sports,social activity Outside of your home.
    your experience will be far more interesting afterwards.
    i think having maps with more innovative and fun(according to you) themes could greatly improve the level of involvment in the gamer's experience.
    "the medium is the message" might be important to understand too in a way.

Banned the_devil is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiress View Post
    +1

I really think you are onto something here. Also the competitive factor; we humans tend to be competitive about a great many things (status, jobs, skills, possessions, physical appearance, etc. - the list goes on). We often try to prove our worth and strive for superiority in the eyes of others in some way or other.

Computer games are no exception to this I think. They can in a way be thought of as a psuedo-contests of strength and worth - something that men in particular have a natural striving for - so when things don't go so well and they are losing to other people, many get agitated and feel perhaps a form of humiliation? But I think that same drive also motivates to become the best, and is probably why you barely ever (never?) see any professional women gamers. Guys are generally more passionate about being the better gamer I think, and therefor also take defeat more seriously.

Though there are of course exceptions, but overall...
    Fantastic post! I do believe I entirely agree with your reasoning. From my experience of playing this game, I've encountered some very passionate people. I think most people who play this game on a regular level have some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder - I reckon most will be collectors of some sort. This just generates frustration and pain when one does not reap the fruits of their toil...

Getting back to the OP's topic. I don't think I have ever rage quit any game. Because it is just that - a game. I have, of course, rage played. But that is the reason I play - for stress relief. I can't hope to relieve stress the way in which quake facilititates in real life without putting my life at risk or ending up in jail It's all about the adrenaline rush and the 'e-status' winning an online game delivers. I would totally stop playing if I felt 'rage', or any form of deep anger after ending a game.
    Last edited by the_devil; 05-01-2013 at 09:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread