+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The return of bot_minplayer?

Senior Member infntnub is on a distinguished road infntnub's Avatar

Smile The return of bot_minplayer?

I am not sure the reasoning why it's not available for a server host by default (as it was an option in Q3).

Can we please have this option revisited?

I'd like to launch a server but staring at emptiness while waiting for 10-15 minutes is pretty boring.

Having a bot to shoot at while you wait would be nice.

For those unfamiliar with this functionality if you set it to 1, 1 bot will populate a team until 1 human player arrives - at this point the server kicks the bot as the human player joins the team.
    Quake 3 1.16n Noghost iFreezetag

-UE- .o2o. -g0d- n[2]p foq -end- *pWp* oBs H$ iD aM q3p {DR} *MS* uTk dT |c*|

Great Memories That Will Last A Lifetime :~)

http://www.instalounge.co.nr/

Senior Member DeeDoubleU will become famous soon enough DeeDoubleU's Avatar
    Bot is kicked at the moment another player joins server or when he/she enters the game?
    Real life? Life is real?!

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    I'm not against the idea, but what happens as the server gets populated by real players and then they try to start the game? For instance, say the server is 4v4, and there's 6 humans and 2 bots. If all the players ready up, what does the game do?

However, I do know that in several gametypes (Mostly the newer ones) the bots don't work at all.

Pika ~ Even if the bots don't work/function at least it's something to mess around with. Or only give the command functionality in the gametypes the bots do work on?

The teamsize setting is completely independent; whether it's a 4 v 4 or 2 v 2 if you have the bot_minplayer setting to 1 it'll kick the 1 bot as soon as a human player connects and joins the team - am I misunderstanding you?

Dee ~ Yes, bot_minplayer's function in Q3 was to populate a team with w/e # of bots you designate until a real player came along and joine.

If you have it set to bot_minplayer 2 the server will populate 2 bots per team.

Player 1 connects, joins red team, one bot from red is kicked.

Player 2 connects, joins blue team, one bot from blue team is kicked.

Player 3 connects, joins blue team, the only remaining bot from blue team is kicked.

Player 4 connects, joins red team, the only remaining bot from red team is kicked.

And say Player 3 disconnects, leaving blue team one player down, the server regenerates a bot onto the blue team.

etc. etc.

Senior Member mi will become famous soon enough
    I have old q3 bind to deal with bots:
    bind DEL "callvote kick allbots"

The idea is ok, the downside may be slightly increased server's cpu usage - on an empty server the bots would play all the time.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Imo the problem less with people not recognizing they're playing with bots, even though it's been a while since the last "see how active q3 is" post I've seen. I dislike it, but it's arguably a feature. I think sponge said it lately on irc, that only a fraction of started games currently are offline with bots. He also said that the bots are not working with most gametypes. So

Even if the bots don't work/function at least it's something to mess around with
    I assume it's a reason to not add the feature
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    What I meant was "What do the bots do if the game is going to start?" The bots skill wouldn't be the same as a human's, so would the game become unranked or would it just remove the bots provided the teams are balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by mi View Post
    The idea is ok, the downside may be slightly increased server's cpu usage - on an empty server the bots would play all the time.
    It would not be on all servers; only ones hosted by players who chose to utilize the setting. I doubt it would be much of a hit, if any, to server cpu usage.

Pika - Ah, good question. It didn't even occur to me since I was mainly thinking of unranked gametypes, which comprise most of what I play. I would assume it would cause any other gametype to become unranked in an effort to prevent stat padding?

Quote Originally Posted by malk_ View Post
    I assume it's a reason to not add the feature
    So you assume the fact the bots don't work properly in all gametypes is a good reason to not consider enabling the option? Heaven forbid the bots be fixed eh? :~p

Regardless, even in their current state, the bots are perfectly fine "cannon fodder" while a player waits for real human opponents.
    Last edited by infntnub; 04-25-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infntnub View Post
    It would not be on all servers; only ones hosted by players who chose to utilize the setting. I doubt it would be much of a hit, if any, to server cpu usage.
    I think bots do use a lot of CPU. Of course, that would be a small amount in regard to what the physical server can offer but it would probably screw up expectations on how many QL servers can run on it. For instance one QL server with bots could mean 3 normal QL servers have to be taken down to avoid compromising every QL server's quality. It's not that it's impossible, but that would require some work. The questions for id are "is it worth it?" and "don't we have others things even more worth the dev time?".

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Heaven forbid the bots be fixed eh? :~p
    Ye, I would still dislike the thing in general, but ok

Still,
    It's not that it's impossible, but that would require some work. The questions for id are "is it worth it?" and "don't we have others things even more worth the dev time?"
    For example, they should rather work on mechanics to properly promote spawned servers instead of fixing bots. Imho.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

+ Reply to Thread