+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quake Live vs Other Games

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    A true sport has two factors which need to be incorperated....Strength and Endurance.E Sports only have one of those factors.Endurance.Since no strength is involved,how would you classify them? Well there is another factor Stratagy ,,But still?
    Last edited by lowlife1; 04-18-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlife1 View Post
    A true sport has two factors which need to be incorperated....Strength and Endurance.E Sports only have one of those factors.Endurance.Since no strength is involved,how would you classify them? Well there is another factor Stratagy ,,But still?
    Where do you get this definition?

A lot of people consider racing and chess to be sports.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post

Yeah, I was going to mention earlier (about 20 minutes ago) that chess is considered a sport, but I couldn't find a definition for "sports" to back it up.

It's the "strategy" factor that was mentioned though.

Senior Member julios is on a distinguished road
    Quake provides a well defined space within which the avatar performs, and the key element of this performance is controlled by the mouse. Because the mouse is essentially analogue (and by this I mean that even though it is technically digital, it simulates an analogue process), there is a vast array of possible muscular events, each of which leads to a unique situation in the virtual arena. Supplemented with the movement and weapon selection keys, this provides the opportunity, over the years, to develop a very sophisticated set of adaptations to a virtually infinite number of possible scenarios (e.g. enemy is at 3 o'clock, flick 90 degrees clockwise and rail).

When you consider the fact that quake operates at a spatiotemporal scale that challenges the limits of human motorvisual processing, and that being able to successfully operate at finer scales confers an advantage, and the fact that people's raw combat ability (ignoring strategy) continues to improve after over a decade of dedicated practice, one begins to appreciate the potential for a stunningly rich performance, which at the very least can be described as an accomplished physical skill, and, being most generous, as athletic grace.

I'm an avid tennis player, and strength train regularly, both of which I take seriously. To me, quake feels like a sport.
    Last edited by julios; 04-19-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post

Lorfa, have you ever raced?
    Because I do occasionally, and it IS a sport. An hour of non-stop race is insanely exhausting.
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vurun View Post
    Lorfa, have you ever raced?
    Because I do occasionally, and it IS a sport. An hour of non-stop race is insanely exhausting.
    He was saying that chess and racing *were* sports, but didn't apply to the 'definition' that lowlife posted.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Sry, my bad
    But again, racing needs strength. You can have a lot of endurance, but if your muscles can't hold your torso at all those G's, it just won't do.
    Last edited by vurun; 04-19-2013 at 02:38 AM.
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    I was told a long time ago by a avid fan of so called sports.Chess,Golf and games like them dont require extremes in those properties.Baseball,Football,Hockey,Field games,Stunt Pilots and Auto Racing are on the line.A mouse weighs around a pound and a half.No strength there.But with so many oppinions,and thoughts,we will never know the true meaning of a Sport.The only thing they all share is Stratagy.Maybe that deffines a Sport?
    Last edited by lowlife1; 04-19-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Member He4rTL3sS is on a distinguished road
    who cares if quake is like a sport or not ?

doesn't change the fact that it's so much skill based, and it's awesome!

Senior Member drunkenFooL is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlife1 View Post
    A mouse weighs around a pound and a half.
    Is that really right? I never thought that a mouse was that heavy. Or am I being too literal in reading the words?

Anyway, check this out. The ole mouse is becoming extinct? Geez. From February 2013.
    http://www.techpageone.com/technolog...w-world-of-3d/

+ Reply to Thread