+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quake Live vs Other Games

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    While the basics are fairly easy to learn, it's certainly not easy to master. When people look at LoL, they often say things like "This game sucks. You do nothing but click on people.", but they completely fail to grasp the strategy elements behind the game that aren't completely obvious until they've played for quite a bit. The issue is that unless you have higher-skilled friends playing the game, you won't realize these elements to the game until you've played it for quite a bit. It's certainly not evident to brand new players who basically only have the free champions and maybe 1 other Champion.

When watching competitive games, you don't always get the strategy behind things unless you know what you're looking for. It's similar to watching duel; you might look at it and think that they're just running around shooting each other (at first glance), but eventually you'll realize they're timing items and going for spawn kills and such.

[EDIT]
    In reference to my 'elements that aren't noticed' comment: I pretty much played up to level 22 or something before I realized the point of last-hitting. I'd never been told about it in a game before and I didn't realize you got gold in the process of it. I only found out about last hitting because a higher-skilled player mentioned it to me and wondered why I never did it. Granted, it may have been mentioned in the tutorial, but it obviously wasn't important enough for me to remember. Additionally, the lanes are not something that's told to newcomers; the game doesn't obviously say "The current meta is such-and-such". I realize the meta is slightly changing in pro games now with lane swapping, but for a newcomer, it's just "go wherever there's not 2 players already at."
    Last edited by pikaluva13; 04-17-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Junior Member V1mes is on a distinguished road
    Yeah the friend who got me into Lol was already platinum league :P So i picked it up pretty quickly. Anyway my point was that anybody who does their research can, just like in quake, pick up the essentials real quick.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    but the skill execution is weak in lol. Imo in lol it's a skill to know the champions skills and how to counter them with a decent pick. it's true, that information can be found easily, just like information on jumping techniques for quake. But applying this knowledge in game seems rather easy in lol, compared to finishing a hard strafe lane on some practice map in quake. Not?
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Quote Originally Posted by malk_ View Post
    but the skill execution is weak in lol. Imo in lol it's a skill to know the champions skills and how to counter them with a decent pick. it's true, that information can be found easily, just like information on jumping techniques for quake. But applying this knowledge in game seems rather easy in lol, compared to finishing a hard strafe lane on some practice map in quake. Not?
    It's true that it's easier to execute say, an ability consistently versus a hard strafe lane, but the context in which the ability is used is what matters. Take Miss Fortune's ultimate, Bullet Time (Video Link). While you can probably get at least one bullet to connect with an enemy, you'd want to be hitting as many enemies as possible in a teamfight so you'd need to be positioned well. You have to be have good positioning in LoL as well as Quake, but people think that LoL is simpler just because it's not as fast-paced.

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    I played games like that on my kids SNES.Legend Of Zelda,Lagoon,and others.They were a lot simpler to learn.FPS they are not.To slow for me.But I had fun playing them anyway.

Junior Member V1mes is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    You have to be have good positioning in LoL as well as Quake, but people think that LoL is simpler just because it's not as fast-paced.
    I find quake's simplicity more appealing. Lol is pretty cheesy if you take the backstory seriously. The only real thing that makes lol complicated is the mountain of items and the fact that riot keeps spewing out new champions :P

Quote Originally Posted by V1mes View Post
    I find quake's simplicity more appealing. Lol is pretty cheesy if you take the backstory seriously. The only real thing that makes lol complicated is the mountain of items and the fact that riot keeps spewing out new champions :P
    I know a few portions of some of the Champion's lore, but I couldn't go into large detail about it since I don't follow it enough for that. There aren't actually that many items when you consider how many are used on each specific Champion type. The Champions aren't hard to follow either, since they're all identifiable. It's not like there's any Champions that are similar to one another to confuse a player. You just need to know how the abilities work to enough of a degree to be able to counter them.

Senior Member julios is on a distinguished road
    to me quake is like a sport. Not so much a "game".

Member TacticalBurst is on a distinguished road
    Wouldn't that be the case for any competitive game that requires great execution as well as a certain level of mindgame? (ex: Street Fighter)

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalBurst View Post
    Wouldn't that be the case for any competitive game that requires great execution as well as a certain level of mindgame? (ex: Street Fighter)
    If you play competitively and not casually, then yes to some degree.

+ Reply to Thread