+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: question about framerate and refresh rate

Senior Member julios is on a distinguished road
    trying to see what 125hz looks like...but for some reason, my monitor doesn't seem to like 125hz. Managed to get it to switch to it using powerstrip, but the display was very dim, and seemed flickery, and quake felt like 60hz if not less (even tho OSD reported 125hz). Maybe there's a resolution out there that it will sync properly with 125z.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julios View Post
    hah.

Wow, that's amazing that you have found a tear-free refresh rate. Was it really a sweet spot deal, or just the highest one that your liyama could support?
    It's definitely a sweet spot deal. I can go substantially higher, in the early 160s I believe. I mean it's very obvious when it goes too high because the picture goes from normal to insane zig zags in the center of the screen. It's pretty scary :-/

using r_mode -1, I managed to get 160hz going (1105x690), but it didn't really seem to help with the tearing. Gonna have to go the powerstrip route. Should I worry about experimenting with sync width, front porch, etc?
    I didn't personally modify those.

And is powerstrip free these days?
    I thought it was, but I could have bought it. I was certainly very pleased with it.

trying to see what 125hz looks like...but for some reason, my monitor doesn't seem to like 125hz. Managed to get it to switch to it using powerstrip, but the display was very dim, and seemed flickery, and quake felt like 60hz if not less (even tho OSD reported 125hz). Maybe there's a resolution out there that it will sync properly with 125z.
    This happens to me too except my OSD reports 60 Hz in that scenario.

Are you doing r_displayrefresh 125 or 0 or ?

Senior Member julios is on a distinguished road
    with powerstrip, was using 0

Senior Member keefy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet_L View Post
    I enabled vsync last night. I consistently get 125fps and have a 120hz monitor (BenQ XL2420T)

There is definitely mouse lag. Mouse movements feel way off.

(Something to note: FPS kept alternating between what seems to be 117, and 125 with vsync on. I said seems because it skips back and forth so fast I can't even read it. vsync off, this doesn't happen!)
    Something is weird with this game with vsync I get that exact same thing also it looks unsmooth no matter what refresh rate maybe its just the monitors?
    I got the XL2411T
    Last edited by keefy; 04-18-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    with powerstrip, was using 0
    Yeah, that doesn't work for me. I have to set it to 150 for it to "pick up" my 153.xx

The other thing that is weird is that, if I use r_mode 9 (800x600), it 'pops' when it loads, but if I use r_mode -1 customwidth/height 800x600 it does not. Both report the same osd refresh rate. I also get a pop using r_mode -2. It's just completely bananas.

I had an issue a long time ago where if I would use r_displayRefresh say 154, and it the osd would state 153.xx Hz but seemed to be 60 Hz. I made a forum post on the old forum asking what exactly r_displayRefresh was doing but never got a response. I thought it had cleared up, but perhaps this bug still exists.

Senior Member mi will become famous soon enough
    Powerstrip is old software, most of it's functionality is covered better by free programs.
    AfterBurner
    - overclocking, monitoring, osd, recording.

I also use (for a CRT):

WinModelines
    To set modelines - every graphics mode with it's fine-tuned timings. I used customized modes from pstrip.ini in [Modelines] section. After changing graphics card or new os install it's enough to just paste the custom modelines from a backup text file.

HotKey Resolution Changer
    To switch to selected mode and refresh rate with a hotkey.

RefreshLock
    To make the customized refresh rates defaults.

+ Reply to Thread