+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Sampler Matches Updated - 1 Flag CTF

  1. #11
    Senior Member mi will become famous soon enough
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    414
    I think flag throw should be enabled by default on ctf servers. It gives the flag carrier more options, allows better teamwork, more flag play.

    It's hard to test and adjust the values in QL because:
    - enabling it restricts the server to premium only
    - changing "flag bounce" makes the server unranked
    contrary, changing "flag throw strength" doesn't make it unranked.

    g_flagBounce
    The default is 0.25 for ctf, but for some reason 0.5 for 1-flag ctf.

    g_throwFlagVelocity
    It should be >320 so flag carrier can throw the flag in front of him while moving forward, with the restrictions in start-a-match I'd use 400. Or change it so flag would take vector sum of throw speed and player speed.
    .

  2. #12
    Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by mi View Post
    I think flag throw should be enabled by default on ctf servers.
    how about you take that idea for ctf4 only pls.

  3. #13
    Member cladinshadows is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Default planet.
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by VORT3X View Post
    I didnt find the flag throw very powerful, whats the point of it if it only goes 2 meters? i have seen it in other mods be way more powerful you should boost it up to make it worth throwing! if you could do that it would get more play I would hope!
    Yea, make the throw so hard so you could throw a flag from enemy's base to yours on space ctf. Wouldn't that be cool?

  4. #14
    Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,763
    Well that rant was one thing, but the really weird and wrong thing in this sampler is the map. It has the most broken spawns!

    Normally on CTF maps, you spawn on your side, facing base exits. This map adds some spawns on enemy side, that's ok. But the main expectation remains: you should be spawning in the direction of ENEMY base. So if you're a defender or enemy is pushing in your base, you go back. If you're an attacker or know that the flag is in enemy base, you go forward.

    On this map, half of the time you spawn on the enemy side, with +forward taking you to your own base.

    Look, it's simple. If I spawn at shotgun and see the white flag, I grab it and jump across, because I'm assuming +forward is the way to attack.

    If you want to spawn me at enemy shotgun, just turn the spawner's view toward enemy mega. Then I'll distinguish the spawn and know what to do. Simple.

    Same with PU room spawns, you can spawn near LG facing base (enemy base) or near YA facing mid (own base).

  5. #15
    Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    Well that rant was one thing, but the really weird and wrong thing in this sampler is the map. It has the most broken spawns!

    Normally on CTF maps, you spawn on your side, facing base exits. This map adds some spawns on enemy side, that's ok. But the main expectation remains: you should be spawning in the direction of ENEMY base. So if you're a defender or enemy is pushing in your base, you go back. If you're an attacker or know that the flag is in enemy base, you go forward.

    On this map, half of the time you spawn on the enemy side, with +forward taking you to your own base.

    Look, it's simple. If I spawn at shotgun and see the white flag, I grab it and jump across, because I'm assuming +forward is the way to attack.

    If you want to spawn me at enemy shotgun, just turn the spawner's view toward enemy mega. Then I'll distinguish the spawn and know what to do. Simple.

    Same with PU room spawns, you can spawn near LG facing base (enemy base) or near YA facing mid (own base).
    It *does* say capture on the flag thing once you've got the flag, but I do agree that it'd make more sense to spam facing where you need to go. (It's also hard to see "Capture")

  6. #16
    Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    It *does* say capture on the flag thing once you've got the flag
    That was only one example (spawning on SG when flag has just returned after a cap). Normally the flag is somewhere in the map, you know where it was 2 seconds earlier and want to intercept EFC or help your FC.

    It's so bad that I've noticed myself looking around for wall color _in_the_base_. I don't want to look around for wall color. I want to +forward or +back like on other maps :(

  7. #17
    Senior Member mi will become famous soon enough
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by danstar View Post
    how about you take that idea for ctf4 only pls.
    It rather won't work well on spacectf because the flag can fall in void, most of the passes would be too risky.

    Flag throwing would require some testing to check whether players like it or not and to find optimal values.
    .

  8. #18
    Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,807
    i might be leaning a bit far out the window if i say, this wont pass for the veterans of the gametype, but who knows. could be the same like droppowerup before it was implemented, when its there, it gets used and adapted to in useful ways.

    however my impression is that it isnt needed and should be left as it is since its an available option when spawning servers.

    and for your example about space ctf + flag throwing - the game is all about taking risks.

  9. #19
    Junior Member cerberii is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1
    how come I rarely see the sampler server? Why isnt it running 24/7 ? whats the point of running sampler if it never is online? I see it once online yesterday for an hour early in afternoon, basically no one plays it because this sampler server is never online. Domination and other sampler servers were online at least for a long time so people would play it. This one flag CTF is never ever online, really not good work ID for your only game since wolfenstein is gone and no one plays your other games. Also, *** with the 10 people max servers? when quake2 came out it was revolutionary 32/64 player game, this quakelive limit of 8 people basically is ridiculous and is killing the game. /ragequit : uninstall

  10. #20
    Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kepler-22b
    Posts
    8,386
    It's always online for me. What area are you in?

    It might be a case where it has filled up. Check the "all populated" option under customize.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts