+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Movement in Duels

Senior Member Flanger is on a distinguished road Flanger's Avatar
    Pony - can you please elaborate about skimming practice? Is it like clipping the corners? I've seen defraggers doing it, but never would figure out how. Any videos explaining?

Vurun - if only it wasn't getting boring so quickly. Nevertheless you're absolutely right. I miss circlejump to RA on hub a lot of times, heck I even miss double strafes there a lot, always land first jump on stairs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAxPgIv4Q8s here a player also has cgaz. You might say it is completely unneeded, but in Q3 I felt optimal angle visual cues helped me understand correct mouse flicks. Maybe someone know how to get that hud here too?

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Unfortunately, it's always boring when you are trying to be good at something.
    As soon as you start making at least two thirds of those jumps, you can actually practice then in-game, that's not boring at all. But can be extremely frustrating if instead RA u get a rocket in da face

Get some fast-paced music and practice, i managed to survive one hour of razrtraining non-stop every day for a week with some LTJ Bukem

Visual angles for QL are unavailable AFAIK, but speedometer at xhair was more than enough actually if you not going to conquer defrag community.
    Last edited by vurun; 04-16-2013 at 12:59 AM.
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Member Vampiress is on a distinguished road Vampiress's Avatar
    And if everything else fails, use flubber!
    If the lightning gun is a phallic synonym for smacking players about with a sizzling manhood, then I proclaim that the railgun is a yonic synonym for a woman's erect nipples poking people's eyes out

Member FrEaKKiLLa is on a distinguished road
    I would classify skimming or wall clipping as an advanced/expert technique not to be practiced unless you are already at a high level of movement. It is only applied/practiced once you reach the level of strafing where the only way to continue your strafe at proper speed around the bend is to wall clip/skim. You will feel it happening, but it is not something that should be practiced until you reach a higher level of movement imo. Nothing hurts I'd say, but I was not even able to perform these wall clips consistently until perfecting my circle jump and second strafe. I wasted a lot of time trying them out when I should have just stuck to the basics because wall clipping just comes with good movement.

Think of it as bending yourself around the corner, adjusting your strafe angle slightly around that bend. You get hung up for a slight amount of time during the transition depending on the approaching angle and exit angle, but the speed returns if you complete the wall clip properly.

Senior Member Flanger is on a distinguished road Flanger's Avatar
    Yes I've asked some experienced players to show me how to do skimming, they showed me and understood it is one of the advanced techniques. I'm far from that yet Tried out raztrainql_beta3 again, now managed to finish 5th lane. On your B2R setup I've reached level 8.
    Speaking about lanes, 8 of 10 of my first circle jumps are very bad, I land with 450ups or something, while if executed well, it goes up to 500.

Gonna train slowly on your map.

Member FrEaKKiLLa is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanger View Post
    Yes I've asked some experienced players to show me how to do skimming, they showed me and understood it is one of the advanced techniques. I'm far from that yet Tried out raztrainql_beta3 again, now managed to finish 5th lane. On your B2R setup I've reached level 8.
    Speaking about lanes, 8 of 10 of my first circle jumps are very bad, I land with 450ups or something, while if executed well, it goes up to 500.

Gonna train slowly on your map.
    Yes, a good first circle jump is important. One of the key things to know is that you only need as much speed as needed to make the jumps that you have in mind. Meaning for lane 8 strafe pads on raztrainql_beta3, yes, you need a near immaculate circle jump to start the run. But for something like bridge to rail or other in game jumps, you don't have to do a perfect circle jump and in some cases doing that perfect circle jump may give you too much speed. This is important to note because it is this "speed area" between a perfect start and the intended jump requirements that gives you room for correction/shooting/evasive maneuvers during your movement run around the map.

When you train on my map, try out some of these advanced paths if you get a chance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztUBMSh3R3g. These are jumps that were set up in the map for advanced movement correction and some of the high speed strafes require a lower starting circle jump due to the positioning of the ground that you will land on. This forces more speed adjustment in the later jumps instead of the earliest jump. A lot of these advanced paths were tested when I was on level 7 strafe pads in raztrain so I had been practicing this technique already and wanted to apply it to something that would help me more in game. These jumps may be difficult to reproduce unless you have mastered this ability.

Let me know how it works out!

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by FrEaKKiLLa View Post
    Meaning for lane 8 strafe pads on raztrainql_beta3, yes, you need a near immaculate circle jump to start the run.
    In fact the "ultimate" circle jump in Raz3r's strafe lanes isn't *that* hard. I usually do the lane by double-beating the first two gaps, which essentially requires me to perform the CJ some 30 degrees off from straight ahead. Go figure. The last jumps in dcxpracticebeta2 CJ training do fall into the superhard category, so you might want to check these out for inspiration. Of course CJs so good are hardly necessary in actual in-game situations, but they're a useful habit to strive for. Sometimes being used to great execution gets in the way - a perfect example is the Ironworks water jump where, if your hands are used to doing a good CJ automatically, you will end up in water 90% of the time. Gotta restrain your awesomeness, too, sometimes.

I mentioned skimming though it is indeed an advanced technique and tbh I have no clue what's the best way to practice it. But the thing about skimming is, while you can't do a 520 UPS CJ by mere accident, flying through corners just happens sometimes - and it's very useful to be aware of what conditions make the skim work more effectively. Really, all you need to know is that landing a metre before the corner should allow you to skim it. Not right next to it - you need a split second of being airborne between hitting the ground and the wall. Some 50-100 miliseconds, give or take. I suppose all you could do for now is to try and skim corners whenever the alternative is to bump into them or slow down in some other way. Nothing to lose, plenty to gain, no?
    Last edited by Limbless_Pony; 04-18-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Senior Member CPTcman is on a distinguished road
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htZzbs4BxCs

Good Wall-Clipping Tutorial. Never knew that B2R route was even possible.

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    In fact the "ultimate" circle jump in Raz3r's strafe lanes isn't *that* hard.
    You sound kinda like a physics professor saying "Fourier transform isn't *that* hard".

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Do all the pros use skimming in regular play?
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

+ Reply to Thread