+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Movement in Duels

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quakestreme View Post
    Do all the pros use skimming in regular play?
    Well the pros aren't exactly playing the gametype that it's most useful in...so...not really.

Member FrEaKKiLLa is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    In fact the "ultimate" circle jump in Raz3r's strafe lanes isn't *that* hard. I usually do the lane by double-beating the first two gaps
    Granted I don't think you're wrong in the fact that double beating the lanes is easier, I just wanted to point out that by not doing a circle jump into a full beat strafe it makes it easier to retain your speed from your initial circle jump.

Quote Originally Posted by quakestreme View Post
    Do all the pros use skimming in regular play?
    In duel and ctf, I commonly see pros use skimming to give themselves extra strafe speed that was not gain-able in any other fashion around a bend.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by FrEaKKiLLa View Post
    I just wanted to point out that by not doing a circle jump into a full beat strafe it makes it easier to retain your speed from your initial circle jump.
    Yes, which is why I prefer that, even though the path isn't optimal. Double beat in general is a bit easier than single beat, but also less effective, at least when strafe pads are concerned (regular map movement requires a mix of single, double, triple and whatever beats anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    Yes, which is why I prefer that, even though the path isn't optimal. Double beat in general is a bit easier than single beat, but also less effective, at least when strafe pads are concerned (regular map movement requires a mix of single, double, triple and whatever beats anyway).
    Agreed, I'll add ya on QL later today.

Senior Member Flanger is on a distinguished road Flanger's Avatar
    It has to be said Freak's map is really not boring to play, compared to linear pads. I'm at checkpoint 9 playing only advanced paths. That first jump to the little wall ledge drives me nuts. Can't do yet

I've noticed, that start of strafe is harder for me. If I get past 700 ups, then rest flicks give steady speed boost (watching with speedometer 3) to finish 5th lane @ raztrainql_beta3, but I think I'm loosing a lot around 500-700 ups area. At checkpoint 6's second part, at high speed lanes, I've done them the way you did in Youtube video, strafing on the far left pads only. It took me more than 2 hours to accomplish only that portion. I can feel I'm not getting enough speed on second and third strafes, but if I flick further to the left or right, then I loose control and fall off

As for duel maps, I'm trying to practice using setviewpos to spawn at exact starting spot and not waste time getting there.

Looks like it will take me quite a long time to become decent

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanger View Post
    I can feel I'm not getting enough speed on second and third strafes, but if I flick further to the left or right (...)
    Don't flick far, the angles for 500-700 ups are pretty small. I think the key to getting decent acceleration there is more a matter of getting the adjustment speed right, since the optimal angle changes fairly quickly compared to later stages.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Focus on mastering the first 4 jumps, maybe 5. More than that is simply not present in the current maps.

Also it is quite fun to practice half beats, double beats and all that. In regular gameplay there's more movement than jumping forward.
    Last edited by megaman3; 04-20-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Quote Originally Posted by Flanger View Post
    It has to be said Freak's map is really not boring to play, compared to linear pads. I'm at checkpoint 9 playing only advanced paths. That first jump to the little wall ledge drives me nuts. Can't do yet

I've noticed, that start of strafe is harder for me. If I get past 700 ups, then rest flicks give steady speed boost (watching with speedometer 3) to finish 5th lane @ raztrainql_beta3, but I think I'm loosing a lot around 500-700 ups area. At checkpoint 6's second part, at high speed lanes, I've done them the way you did in Youtube video, strafing on the far left pads only. It took me more than 2 hours to accomplish only that portion. I can feel I'm not getting enough speed on second and third strafes, but if I flick further to the left or right, then I loose control and fall off

As for duel maps, I'm trying to practice using setviewpos to spawn at exact starting spot and not waste time getting there.

Looks like it will take me quite a long time to become decent
    I loaded the map up last night and the correct way to make the first checkpoint 9 advanced jump is to jump forward + left while holding W, then once clearing the corner quickly switch to W + D while smoothing the mouse to the right to land on the edge.

You could imagine my original frustration when designing this map that I had to actually work on trying to complete jumps that I had no idea if they were even possible.

It will all improve with practice, and you don't want to overdo it either. You'll have to mix in playing and strafe practice together to get the best results and to truly improve you will have to relearn to aim with your new movement.

+ Reply to Thread