+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to learn the game

Junior Member MetaNightmare1 is on a distinguished road

Trying to learn the game

I've been playing for about a week now, and I haven't gotten any better at the game in that time. I always finish games with 10 frags and all the other players have 20+. Is there anything I can do to get better? Do I have to unlearn the last 11 or so years of my life playing shooters to play Quake Live? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by MetaNightmare1; 04-06-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Senior Member CPTcman is on a distinguished road
    Welcome to Quake Live!

There are many good places to start, this forum being one of them. Some of the regular contributors have made various guides that are quite excellent. Here are a couple:

Cat's Rail Gun tutorial: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ1plnx0Hco
    Cat's Lightning Gun Tutorial: www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gIJL6lT_7Y
    Lorfa's Configuration Guide: For some reason this link didn't work, just search for it on this forum or google it.
    The Ultimate Quake Guide: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ake-Live-Guide

Learn to strafe jump, circle jump and rocket jump. There are numerous videos on youtube as well as the training arenas in QL. This is essential!

Watch pro-level games and emulate them. Again, there are numerous examples on youtube, or you can spectate Tier 4 games. You can learn a lot from doing this.

Once you learn the basics, practice practice practice! As many on this forum have stated, play practice matches against nightmare bots until you can win. Then practice some more until you can win easily. Then practice some more until the bots seem a joke and you wonder why you ever had trouble with them.

Post a demo on this forum and a generous soul may offer their critique of your play. Judging by your stats, you are actually off to a good start. You are Tier 4 in FFA. Remember that this is a very unforgiving place to be, and you can't expect to win much at all in that game type.

Quake is not like modern FPS's...the learning curve is steep, but the rewards are that much sweeter. Keep at it, ignore the jerks, practice a lot, and you WILL get better!

Hope this helps.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CPTcman View Post
    Lorfa's Configuration Guide: For some reason this link didn't work, just search for it on this forum or google it.
    Link in my sig will work.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Before you learn anything else, you wanna learn strafe jumping. Here's a guide by a former pro-gamer and commentator:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-H2bKcKUMs

+ Reply to Thread