+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: When was the last time servers went down for maintenance?

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    [Directed at overall topic, not conversational topic about FFA]

Last night when the servers went down in error, I asked sponge if this counted for this thread. His reply was
    Quote Originally Posted by sponge, via IRC
    oh that, yea thats a bunch of nonsense this isn't windows 98 you don't need to reboot servers to keep them running well
    ,so I guess that means that these servers do live maintenance and that's why we never see them purposefully go down for maintenance.

Senior Member NEPHIREM is on a distinguished road NEPHIREM's Avatar
    Game feels choppy, laggy and out of sync. Servers are filled with warpers. It's unplayable. For me, everything started the same day they changed map rotation.

Senior Member TaiSharQuake is on a distinguished road
    Another fun one tonight, 15 ms ping to Toronto, rockets shooting like I had 60-80 ms ping. Unplayable.
    I just went and uninstalled everything on this computer that isn't needed for the job, reset winsock, tcpip and firewall, removed all extra protocols from the NIC that were put there. Removed all AV products, defraged hard drive, ran memory checker and no problems found.
    Getting 125 fps constant on that particular map.

Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    [Directed at overall topic, not conversational topic about FFA]

Last night when the servers went down in error, I asked sponge if this counted for this thread. His reply was

,so I guess that means that these servers do live maintenance and that's why we never see them purposefully go down for maintenance.
    Apparently all WoW, D3, PS2, BF etc servers all run Windows 98 then.

Oh well, it was a long shot anyways a last ditch effort on my part to get something done.
    As I said before, I've been playing this game since 2009/2010, 5 days a week or more, so I really notice when things don't act right and right now, they are bad.
    So you don't have to worry about it QuakeLive, I've cancelled my prem membership, and won't be coming back this time.

Senior Member Flanger is on a distinguished road Flanger's Avatar
    Servers run on Linux, distribution is Debian and yes, it does not need physical reboot (unless if another abstraction layer is present like vmware and it has problems) or hardware starts getting problem/etc. Linux operating system is very robust and stable as a server and server services platform. I have seen servers with literally years of uptime.

So if something goes wrong it can be confined within daemon (process/service that runs in background). In this case QuakeLive dedicated server daemon. I believe it takes 3-4 seconds for it to fully reload and another 5-10 seconds for maps to load. Therefore they may been reloading servers everyday and we might not even notice it.

Junior Member koolaid22 is on a distinguished road
    Glad that I am not the only one who has been feeling the lag lately. Has there been any other news or confirmation that it is indeed the servers?

Senior Member intheway will become famous soon enough intheway's Avatar
    I'm not getting any in game lag myself and no one is complaining of me being laggy. But there seems to be more other players lagging lately. Skittery, jerky movement, here and then over there type of things. Very hard to accurately aim at them. Not with high ping either, 50-80ms.
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    Then it hits me.

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    The key here I think is how much resources each server is assigned. Is it the same as a year ago, or has it decreased?

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    I really think that if that problem really exists, it's on the client side. (I don't mean it's your fault, it could be the actual QL client...) Otherwise how could you explain that other players are fine? The server deciding to only "lag" for you? (not talking about network lag here of course)

+ Reply to Thread