+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: When was the last time servers went down for maintenance?

Member TaiSharQuake is on a distinguished road
    I don't know what's causing it, the only thing I know is that it has changed, whether it's a client update or server setting, I don't know.
    And everything is showing as fine too, no lag, no packet loss, little to no jitter. My ping tests agree with the lag-o-meter on my screen while in game.
    Flash you've played me before on other accounts, if you can remember, early last year I was averaging 40-60% accuracy in iFT, almost every single match.
    Now, one game I'll get 55%, the next game I'll get like 12% before I GG out. The next game will be 25% then all over the place. Even on maps that get solid 125 fps, I get this weird lag and through shots.
    Some servers seem worse then others too. VA is horrible, I get less through shots on a TX server where I ping 60-80 then on VA server where I get 30.

Is there a client command to show what the server sees when you shoot? Maybe I have that on?

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TaiSharQuake View Post
    Is there a client command to show what the server sees when you shoot? Maybe I have that on?
    cg_predictLocalRailshots "0" (default 1)

Also you can turn the beam off with cg_railTrailTime 0 (default 400 ms). It's not for everyone but a lot of players use it. Can't really have a through rail with no beam, not that I ever really had them. I guess I just never aimed with the beam.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Without instantaneous information transmission, that would rather be "when your client knows the server 'saw' your shot".

And if you meant that you want to see exactly what the server sees (player positions), that's not possible (for the same reason).
    Last edited by FlashSoul; 04-19-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Senior Member infntnub is on a distinguished road infntnub's Avatar
    I pay no attention to the rail beam; just focus on the enemy position as it relates to your crosshair.

Click.

If you insist on keeping the beam visible I would suggest thinning the core as much as possible. Depending on your fov/resolution the beam visual can become skewed in appearance and appear to hit something it's not.

Since all your latency tests sound good maybe you're just overthinking things.

~edit~

Just a suggestion from personal experience that may or may not benefit you; for some reason the harder I try and the more I want to do well while railing the worse I do. Maybe the situation you described with your accuracy being inconsistent is causing you to subconsciously try too hard. Relax and ignore the scoreboard/accuracy stat for a day or two and see if things take a positive turn.
    Last edited by infntnub; 04-19-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Quake 3 1.16n Noghost iFreezetag

-UE- .o2o. -g0d- n[2]p foq -end- *pWp* oBs H$ iD aM q3p {DR} *MS* uTk dT |c*|

Great Memories That Will Last A Lifetime :~)

http://www.instalounge.co.nr/

That's a good suggestion, but if your rail is invisible.....how do you know from which direction to return fire?

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    That's a good suggestion, but if your rail is invisible.....how do you know from which direction to return fire?
    By sound and logic.

.......So if someone snipes you from the far side of Black Cathedral you know where they are?

.......So if someone snipes you from the far side of Black Cathedral you know where they are?
    Most likely. I'm careful not to stand where such a thing could happen and I'm usually pretty good at narrowing down an opponent's location. It's definitely possible to hide on that map, but it's more difficult to hide and rail snipe as the rail gives off that hum.

Not a fan of large team sizes + large maps though.

Senior Member Flanger is on a distinguished road Flanger's Avatar
    cg_predictlocalrailshots 0 will show you beam seen by the server, not anticipated by your client. If your ping is 50+ you will immediately notice little lag when shooting rail. If you want to see exactly what server knows about you without any means of prediction/smoothness then go for cg_nopredict 1 and cg_errordecay 0 . On 65ms my brain melts of all the jerking

Also there is an alias to disable rail trail, but to be able to see others' beams. Works very well for me. I find it much better to shoot rail w/o beam, less distracting.

looks something like this:
    alias +rg "cg_railtrailtime 0;+attack"
    alias -rg "cg_railtrailtime 400;-attack"

alias +atk "+attack"
    alias -atk "-attack"

Then you will have to bind mouse 1 (or whatever key you use for attack) to +rg instead of +attack for railgun and +atk for everything else (don't leave default +attack or weird things will start happening like non-stopping auto attacks).

Quote Originally Posted by Flanger View Post
    cg_predictlocalrailshots 0 will show you beam seen by the server, not anticipated by your client. If your ping is 50+ you will immediately notice little lag when shooting rail. If you want to see exactly what server knows about you without any means of prediction/smoothness then go for cg_nopredict 1 and cg_errordecay 0 . On 65ms my brain melts of all the jerking
    errordecay won't have much effect normally, it's only when prediction errors occur, of which they occur very often when coming into contact with anything else, be it a weapon, player or even a wall. If you're lagged, like 80 ms, and you get lg'd with errordecay 0 it will really feel like you're being 'zapped' because each prediction error will be instantly corrected producing a kind of "shiver". It's really horrible.

You're right though, if you want the truest effect you'd set it to 0 along with nopredict 1 (ugh). Melt my brain too. You can even feel the lag a bit on localhost!

+ Reply to Thread