+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: When was the last time servers went down for maintenance?

Banned TaiSharQuake is on a distinguished road

When was the last time servers went down for maintenance?

Getting weird lag on all servers, even on IL chicago where my ping is 15-20 ms, everything "feels" like 50-60. Rockets shoot out with noticeable lag time from mouse click, people move....funny. It's really hard to describe, it's like everything is off ever so slightly.
    The reason I ask about the servers, is that all other online services have sometimes weekly maintenance where the servers go down for several hours, yet I can't remember the last time the quake live servers went down for maintenance.
    I'm not the only one, more and more peeps are mentioning the lag, but I just complain more then most people, so I'm more vocal about it.
    This never used to happen either, during the Nov-Feb time period, the only lag I ever noticed was when my ping was actually 60+.

Open to suggestions aside from "Stop Sucking"
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 04-05-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    What kind of maintenance do you want?

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    "Stop sucking"

I do actually agree with you. I can't think of a single time there's been maintenance on the servers. Granted, I have no clue what they actually do when they perform maintenance, but I don't think it'd hurt the servers any.

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    "Stop sucking"

I do actually agree with you. I can't think of a single time there's been maintenance on the servers. Granted, I have no clue what they actually do when they perform maintenance, but I don't think it'd hurt the servers any.
    I think he means a reboot.

I've been getting the same lag, but I'm not quite sure whether it's server side or client side.

Senior Member GoBotz is on a distinguished road GoBotz's Avatar
    the lag for me makes the game unplayable. It doesn't happen in other games i play online though.

Senior Member filo is on a distinguished road filo's Avatar
    what will happen when they reboot servers and the lag is still there? :}

Member EVeares is on a distinguished road
    The servers are most likely big machines running virtual servers, what can host several games/spawned servers at once.

I am sure they do go down and have maintenance performed on them, but we the end users likely never know as other physical machines and virtual servers would likely take their place should they go or have to be taken down.

A bit like why Google never goes down; unless there is a problem that spreads to all machines, affects the framework or a site wide update is applied; your probably never going to see any real down time other than a site update.

Senior Member quiet_L is on a distinguished road
    I've noticed the VA servers have a lot more lag than they used to. I live in NY - I used to have about 30 ping to VA. Now I have to use chicago, 40-60 ping. It's the best I can get :/ (which isn't too bad)

Member EVeares is on a distinguished road
    Could it also be your ISP has done something?, I used to get horrible ping of in the high hundreds (sometimes it would show 999) but since they have updated thiere stuff i now get 30-50.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EVeares View Post
    The servers are most likely big machines running virtual servers, what can host several games/spawned servers at once.
    They are dedicated server. No VPS (or VM).

+ Reply to Thread