+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom 4/Quake 5 situation.

Senior Member IonicAftershock is on a distinguished road

Doom 4/Quake 5 situation.

*Not sure why this didn't post the first time*

http://kotaku.com/five-years-and-not...trac-468097062

What are your thoughts?

I am looking forward to Doom 4 and can't wait for Quake 5.

Do you think this could delay Quake 5? Share your thoughts for what should happen below!

Sincerely, IonicAftershock

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    I have always thought there's not going to be a quake5 to begin with. Just by looking at its releases it's safe to say the company has been limping since about 2002, so it's an achievement it exists until this day.

On the other hand there's a project that's going to be the true successor of quake3, called reborn, designed by top quake players.

(Remember quake4 wasn't made by id and was quite a let down for the community. Actually quake2 isn't a part of the quake franchise, because it was a different title that was renamed in order to sell more).
    Last edited by megaman3; 04-03-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Member TacticalBurst is on a distinguished road
    It seems that Id Software sort of lost interest over the years for Quake and a few years ago they seemed heavily focused on Rage and started to work on Doom 4. And if my memory is correct, Id is mainly working on Doom 4 since the release of RAGE. Also, they said they didn't want to add a competitive FPS multiplayer to RAGE, because they were keeping that for Doom 4, so I would expect that to sort of replace a next Quake multiplayer.

Could be good.
    Could be bad...

Member TaiSharQuake is on a distinguished road
    That's very sad. I'm sure if Id closes, Carmack will continue on with other projects, but god does he need to stop dumping money into his space program.

And Quake 4 was was awesome! Ravensoft did a great job with the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiSharQuake View Post
    And Quake 4 was was awesome! Ravensoft did a great job with the franchise.
    While tastes are subjective, what's objective is id has not released a quake title since 1999 and QL is a side project of 2 employees, not an official id title. That's how much they care about this IP.

No speculation, no unconfirmed sources like kotaku or anything.

Senior Member IonicAftershock is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    No speculation, no unconfirmed sources like kotaku or anything.
    While I understand your point about unconfirmed sources, Kotaku is a fairly respected gaming site and there are some great journalists there (I am not familiar with them all). I see no reason to think this article is false or completely true either, but I would say that they probably are in the ballpark for the most part.

Sincerely, IonicAftershock

Would of been nice if they used actual quotes, names and numbers though. Everything on that article is vague, and not everything said there is sensible information.

The discussion at neogaf was a better read than the article itself.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IonicAftershock View Post
    Do you think this could delay Quake 5?
    Quake 5? If it ever happens, it's not gonna be before 5 or 6 years IMO.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    It's somewhat understanding that ID is having trouble developing Doom4 or even Quake5 given how the market drastically changed to military shooters in open environments. The market spoke strongly about what they wanted, and it's not 'tournament-arena-shooters' like Quake Live. I'm not saying this genre won't come back, it likely will in a matter of years, but ID needs to adapt or die.

I've always been curious how quake physics would play out in open environments found in COD or BF3. I think one of the biggest hurdles is that the market generally prefers realism or sci-fi type FPS games... Quake 5 or even Doom 4 needs to be as innovative as Quake3/Quake1 originally was during its time or I just don't see it working out.

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post
    It's somewhat understanding that ID is having trouble developing Doom4 or even Quake5 given how the market drastically changed to military shooters in open environments. The market spoke strongly about what they wanted, and it's not 'tournament-arena-shooters' like Quake Live. I'm not saying this genre won't come back, it likely will in a matter of years, but ID needs to adapt or die.

I've always been curious how quake physics would play out in open environments found in COD or BF3. I think one of the biggest hurdles is that the market generally prefers realism or sci-fi type FPS games... Quake 5 or even Doom 4 needs to be as innovative as Quake3/Quake1 originally was during its time or I just don't see it working out.
    I actually think the preponderance of realistic military style shooters in the market place is a good opportunity for id to continue doing something different. There's only so much realism, recoil, and "tactical playing style" one could take before wishing to play something faster and more fun. That, after all, is the reason why we are all here.

I'd really like to see Quake style physics in large open environments set in a Skyrim style world. To make it work I think you need to adjust the physics for the outdoor areas. But, I think that's easy. Just give the player some sort of a Power Suit that they can use in outdoor areas with the following effects:
    • Faster movement speed for the player
    • Faster flying rockets
    • Longer range LG
    • Non-instantaneous (but still very fast) rail
    • Bigger physical size so he's easier to see

This way you get basically the same Quake game physics and fast paced playing style in a large open space, and the player can cover a lot of area quickly in large worlds.

Once the player gets to an enclosed space like a dungeon or a building, he gets back to the normal Quake game play. Eg, your power suit or armor doesn't work in town due to some cheesy plot device.

Then into this world you can have multiple opposing teams. So now you have lots of interesting new gameplay options that can play out in a natural way as a part of a large story.
    • Two competing teams raiding a dungeon full of hostile NPCs while fighting each other
    • One team raiding another team's home town to achieve some objective (hand having to deal with the home team's NPCs in addition to the home team).
    • Stealth missions where you have to fight each other quietly without alerting the NPCs
    • Big strategic battles where you fight in one area to prevent help from reaching another arena

To reduce lag each "area" (eg, town, base, dungeon) can run on a separate server instance and the strategic map can correspond in some way to physical locations in the real world. This way you can probably have players going in and out transparently through the larger game world in stead of through a server browser. To prevent overpopulating any given area you can have some cheesy plot device, eg, a storm or a forcefield forms around a town that has too many people fighting.

At any rate I think there are good opportunities to combine Quake game play with other concepts in the FPS, RPG and MMO genres to move it to the next level. It's long overdue.
    Last edited by jigglyboobs; 04-03-2013 at 05:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread