+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 fps help!

*St00p1d

1 fps help!

does anyone have any suggestions: quake live was running fine with my 9800 GT and Windows 7, but my cooling fan for my video card went and I had to take it out. So I started using onboard video and when I tried to load quake live I was getting one frame per second and it was unplayable and I did not change any settings. So I figured it was because the onboard video couldn't handle the game. But then I got a 8800 GT and put it in my computer and I tried loading quake live and again I get one frame per second. I have no idea why it will not run correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    It's your display drivers.

1 fps means it cannot see your graphics card, try reinstalling your drivers or updating them.

*St00p1d

yo

first thing i tried no luck =[

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Check the value of r_gl_renderer

If it does not say 8800 gt or w/e it proves that QL is not using it.

Can you run other games on the card? What if you disable the onboard graphics or w/e?

Senior Member BuzzBlade is on a distinguished road
    What is the onboard chipset? Even below-par chipsets still can give u better than 1 fps. This immediately says to me config errors, you didn't try troubleshooting any graphics/ACPI/fan settings in the bios did u?

Very possible your old card that died, fried something that didn't smell bad enough to alert you.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBlade View Post
    What is the onboard chipset? Even below-par chipsets still can give u better than 1 fps. This immediately says to me config errors, you didn't try troubleshooting any graphics/ACPI/fan settings in the bios did u?

Very possible your old card that died, fried something that didn't smell bad enough to alert you.
    When it does 1 fps it really means it's running off "GDI Generic", not integrated graphics OR discrete graphics.

It's just running off the cpu, and I think they capped GDI Generic to 1 fps on purpose to show that there is a problem.

Exactly what QL needs to see your graphics card is not clear to me, but having someone reinstall their graphics drivers usually does the trick.

*St00p1d
    i been buiding pcs for 15 years so i do know something, its neither a drivers issue nor the cards not being able to handle the game, its totally got to be something with quake live and the browser itself but there is no tech support lol guessing if you pay for premium there is

Quote Originally Posted by St00p1d View Post
    i been buiding pcs for 15 years so i do know something, its neither a drivers issue nor the cards not being able to handle the game, its totally got to be something with quake live and the browser itself but there is no tech support lol guessing if you pay for premium there is
    It's a common problem that is normally solved in the way I specified.

A longshot that you could try is to reset defaults:

Back up configs, and make sure there is no qzconfig.cfg repconfig.cfg autoexec.cfg in home/baseq3.

Then go to game settings -> reset defaults.

Can you run other games off the card? Nothing weird in device manager? Integrated graphics disabled/bypassed?

*St00p1d
    thanks for trying to help lorfa ill try that

*St00p1d
    lorfa thanks reset to defaults and everything is fine

+ Reply to Thread