+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CFG issues: Won't load, not sure why.

Senior Member IonicAftershock is on a distinguished road

CFG issues: Won't load, not sure why.

Hello everyone,

I hope you all are doing well.

My friend on here is trying to exec my CFG (I named ionic for him) and it won't exec for some reason. I did all the necessary changes for him (different resolution, refresh rate, gamma, etc.) so it should load (unless I made a mistake).

Here is a photo of his baseq3 folder:

http://www.filedropper.com/capture_9

Here is the console text (condump):

http://www.filedropper.com/consoletext_1

Does anyone have any idea why my config can't load for him?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely, IonicAftershock
    Last edited by IonicAftershock; 03-28-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Senior Member mojon is on a distinguished road mojon's Avatar
    I'm doing well, how are things on your end?

From what I can tell from the first screenshot, your friend's settings are saved as a "Text Document". QL can't work with this. You need to either

- manually change the extension from ".txt" to ".cfg"
    or
    - do all the setting-changes in-game and then type "/writeconfig mybuddy" (or whatever), hit enter and then, whenever your friend is going to play and needs his settings, type "/exec mybuddy" (or whatever you've named it) in the console. You might have to do a "/vid_restart" afterwords for the changes to become effective.

EDIT/PS: If your friend is trying to use your modified config on his own PC, have him rename the file from "mybuddy.cfg" to "autoexec.cfg". Or create a new text-document that says "exec mybuddy.cfg" and save it as "autoexec.cfg". Make sure that both files are stored in the correct baseq3 folder!
    Last edited by mojon; 03-28-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mojon View Post
    I'm doing well, how are things on your end?

From what I can tell from the first screenshot, your friend's settings are saved as a "Text Document". QL can't work with this. You need to either

- manually change the extension from ".txt" to ".cfg"
    or
    - do all the setting-changes in-game and then type "/writeconfig mybuddy" (or whatever), hit enter and then, whenever your friend is going to play and needs his settings, type "/exec mybuddy" (or whatever you've named it) in the console. You might have to do a "/vid_restart" afterwords for the changes to become effective.

EDIT/PS: If your friend is trying to use your modified config on his own PC, have him rename the file from "mybuddy.cfg" to "autoexec.cfg". Or create a new text-document that says "exec mybuddy.cfg" and save it as "autoexec.cfg". Make sure that both files are stored in the correct baseq3 folder!
    Hello mojon,

Thank you, I am doing well. Glad you are.

Aha! That's what it is, .txt instead of .cfg *slaps forehead* haha. Ok, so in the transition it got saved as a .txt file...I will see if this fixes things.

Thank you very much!

Take care.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    QL actually assumes the .cfg extension if you omit it:

exec test

Will exec test.cfg

exec test.cfg

Will exec test.cfg

It won't do:

exec test.txt

It doesn't say test.txt.cfg not found though, so it's probably a little smarter than that and just says no to the extension.

It's the same with writeconfig:

writeconfig name

writes name.cfg

However condump is different:

condump test

Makes a file just called "test" with no extension. Any extension can be specified:

condump test.blah

Although .txt and .cfg are arguably the most useful extensions for a condump (and it's extension can be changed in the OS if you want of course).

Most likely this is more than you ever needed or wanted to know on the subject :-P

Sup!,

Thank you. No, it is nice to learn about things.

Take care.

+ Reply to Thread