+ Reply to Thread

Thread: weird ping spikes

Junior Member Broor_ is on a distinguished road

weird ping spikes

i seem to be having some problems with my ping. Around 3 weeks ago i went from have a constant 25 ping to ping that flucates from 40-110 every few seconds. I don't see any lag on my side but every one i play with tells me i'm teleporting around.

I found this thread http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...highlight=ping and ran a tracert like it said got some results. I was not sure what it ment so i called up my isp and told them about this. There answer was its the quake servers that are all messed up and they cant do anything. So now im stuck and have no idea what to do.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Unfortunately if they're saying it's the servers, there's nothing that you can do. You could possibly contact the server people and ask them if there's any issues, but they'll probably tell you it's fine. :/

i honestly don't think its the quake servers i have a few friends with the same isp and internet speed that live within a mile of me and they have no problems.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    If you're using wireless, try wired and see if that fixes it.

If you're wired but using a router, try bypassing it and just using pc to modem and see if that fixes it.

Otherwise you could ask your ISP to check your signal to noise ratio levels.

Where are you located at and what servers are you trying to play on?

so i did all that and my isp even came and replaced my modem and all the wires connected to it and did not do a thing any other suggestions ?

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broor_ View Post
    so i did all that and my isp even came and replaced my modem and all the wires connected to it and did not do a thing any other suggestions ?
    Learn more about tracert.

With this knowledge, you could spectate a server for a bit and run multiple tracerts to it until you have a ping spike at which point you can discover what hop is causing the spikes.

This won't do you much good if it's not within the first few hops though as they will be outside of your ISP's jurisdiction.

There is still the option to adjust your routing through VPNs such as wtfast.com, although that requires a small fee for a subscription.

+ Reply to Thread