+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: a plea

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metapsy View Post
    You could prevent that potential issue by disabling callvotes on 'empty servers' (1/16) and by allowing only one F1'd callvote every 10 minutes or so (for a map change).

Nowadays it is common to join a standard server and to see that 3/4 of the players are subscribers, but it just proves that the current model isn't working well and that the activity can be pretty low sometimes. Most likely it wouldn't happen anymore with the model I've described. What could be done maybe is to allow callvotes only when 2 subscribers or more are on a server (for team games) but I'm not even sure that is really necessary. Why not, though.

By the way with that model a lot of standard players would read a message like this on a daily basis: 'Sorry, maximum number of standard players reached. Click here to upgrade and get right into game!'
    I'd still say it'd need to be a majority of subscribers to get the vote in. Maybe keep the rotation in for Standard players, but when the server is filled with a majority of subscriber *in* the game (Not spectating), then perhaps 'remove' the rotation and allow any vote to be called. The biggest issue that stands out would be just having all Standard players go into spectate, so perhaps it'd have to check all the players, but only count the subscribers actually in the game.

The Standard slots on Premium servers could probably work and would just require some tweaking since it would require enough players to actually start a game still, which many Pro players say has been an issue.

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    I dont think all pro subs are that way.In my case,and Im sure there are others,just have them to support the game.And im sure all pro subs are not all tier 4.

A standard server shouldn't be filled with a majority of subscribers in the first place. Most of them are surely playing there in the absence of anything better when they logged in, and since most of them can't invite standard players and/or don't wanna wait 5/10/20 minutes (or more) alone on a premium server, they end up playing on standard servers.

A majority of subscribers on a standard server is not at all a good thing by itself, it just shows that there is no such thing as a real premium activity (several servers up almost 24/7 for several gametypes) and I don't get why it should be a prerequisite for a /callvote map

5 slots for random standard players is more than enough to easily fill up a premium pro server since it's already doable now with a more or less big friendlist.
    Yeah, that's why I was saying that if they actually were the majority in the server that it should be possible to change the server into a "Premium" server with Standards having access to it. This way there's actually games that can be accessible in Premium servers. At the moment people just don't want to wait forever to get a game. Also, just to clarify, I'm talking about North America -- I notice your flag is France, so you'll generally see about 3-5x the amount of CTF servers compared to what I normally see.
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlife1 View Post
    I dont think all pro subs are that way.In my case,and Im sure there are others,just have them to support the game.And im sure all pro subs are not all tier 4.
    They're definitely not all tier 4 :P

Ah ok, I get it now, we were talking about two different things basically.

Your idea makes sense too of course, it would improve the situation. Not much though, I'm afraid.
    Yeah, I can't really think of anything that would "help" the situation outside of time travel :P
    I'm sure going back to before the rotation would help games as a whole, but then Premium and Pro would become unused like they had been. When people realize that this is the case they'd just stop purchasing a subscription. That was one of people's biggest arguments for unsubscribing; they just didn't feel like they were getting anything out of their subscription since they were always playing in Standard servers. The majority of players still do that now, but there's definitely a lot more emphasis on spawning servers now.

Member crozar is on a distinguished road

thats some wicked ideas

i like the thing about having standard players as random players not from ur friend list -> joining a premium server that has a pro member in

so every pro user in default gets set with 3 friend invites and 2 public slots for the public , when a pro user joins a premium server , it adds 2 slots for the public to use , the pro user can change the limit in the homescreen browser , he can instead make it 4 public slot and 1 friend invite instead of 3 \ 2 , and thats for every pro user , lets say 2 pro users set theirs to 4 public and 1 friend invite , and those 2 pro users join a freezetag or A&D server , the server will turn color to golden glow for the public standard users who refresh the browser can see that beacon , something alurring for them to acknowledge theirs slots , or a possibility for those players to join those servers.

not a request , a must an u know the longer we delay this the sad this becomes for the future.

What about a map rotation even more limited and lousy on purpose, but:

- Any pro subscriber would be able to spawn a standard server where any of the maps which were standard a year ago would be available (it'd immediately solve the 'space CTF issue', the 'TA maps issue', the 'FFA maps issue', etc.)

- Any premium and pro would be able to callvote half of these maps on any standard server (enhanced rotation for subscribers).

- Any premium and pro would be able to callvote teamsize, disabled for standard players.

So a default standard server would have like 2 maps per gametype and default newb-friendly settings judged as annoying by most of us (teamsize 8 in CTF or 16 slots on a small FFA map), however they would be easily modifiable/improvable by subscribers.

Regarding premium:

I'd remove all the premium servers besides duel and small CA ones and allow 5 random players to join any premium pro server (5 more if another pro user joins the server).

The whole premium model would just make more sense then. No pro user would say again that he/she waited one hour on his/her server and no one joined, because it wouldn't happen anymore. Even an improbable instagib One Flag CTF PQL server surely wouldn't stay empty for long.

You'd start to see A&D, Dom, and PQL servers, at least. More FT servers, also. More people would play and more people would subscribe, simple as that.

Actually, both ideas would increase the activity (standard and premium) and make the subscriptions more appealing, even for the subscribers who tend to play mostly on standard servers anyway.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    the last 2 posts, all the way.

i have a pro friend who send links in chat boxes to invite non subscriber "Friends" to join in "paid arenas" and game mods. try like player="Rockvillerideon", post in your bio; "friend me and play on premium servers".

Quote Originally Posted by contractartist View Post
    i have a pro friend who send links in chat boxes to invite non subscriber "Friends" to join in "paid arenas" and game mods. try like player="Rockvillerideon", post in your bio; "friend me and play on premium servers".
    Then enjoy the spam that comes with befriending him.

Senior Member T1E is on a distinguished road T1E's Avatar
    I'm not sure where those ideas come from, but if you think about how more than half of the population is already struggling with basic concepts as "invite", "spawned servers" or server browser-options, I don't think it's a good idea to add stuff like map specific subscriptions et al

+ Reply to Thread