+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: a plea

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danstar View Post
    at the end of the day, if people donate more money, it makes up for the little payments prem members have and there would be more servers with content they choose to play while people could join em.
    As I've stated several times: I've agreed with several portions of what you said based on the player perspective.
    If it's not going to work on the business perspective then I said that as well.

Yes, if people donate, id will have the money. That doesn't mean that the servers will be able to sustain themselves for an extended period of time. Why else would they change it in the first place if it was working fine?
    Last edited by malk_; 03-26-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    these revelations are not important to me, a good idea for the better of the game however is.
    no one ever said it worked fine the way it is. the way it is now is improvable and thats what i tried to elaborate on.
    Last edited by malk_; 03-26-2013 at 08:30 AM.

these revelations are not important to me, a good idea for the better of the game however is.
    If there's no game though (which there wouldn't be in the instance that was referenced...NOT your thoughts that you brought up afterwards) then that's clearly not better.
    no one ever said it worked fine the way it is. the way it is now is improvable and thats what i tried to elaborate on.
    I'm repeating this again simply because I honestly don't think it's getting through to you: I agreed with something needing to be done. (Clearly, because I haven't played in weeks due to a lack of games being available -- at the moment I see 2 crappy modified servers and a Space CTF server.) However, I disagreed with the exact methods with which were stated, as they were too similar to the old method of "Standards get everything", which would be bad from the business perspective.
    Last edited by malk_; 03-26-2013 at 08:30 AM.

so take the idea i had, or something similar and build upon it if you can word or think it through better, i just tossed an idea into the bubble because its gotta start somewhere.
    Last edited by danstar; 03-25-2013 at 07:52 PM.

so take the idea i had, or something similar and build upon it if you can word or think it through better, i just tossed an idea into the bubble because its gotta start somewhere.
    I said they could do that, but the price point for the dedicated servers would have to be pretty high in order to make a profit from it. I was thinking maybe something like $300 a year, but then realized it'd probably need to be more than the normal price to get a server, and I'm pretty sure a server itself is a lot more than that.

not saying its not doable, but 300 euro a year for this game is a scam lol

especially since it still would be limited, so the offer has to comply to what you give and not what you think it would be.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    A thing that could work out (if done properly) is getting rid of the serverbrowser (note to danstar: you heard it here first!! ) and go down the matchmaking route to the end (at least for standard users xDD or maybe as main option and the serverbrowser maybe as fall-back solution or for old-school Quake players who would instantly whine and quit).

For example, I believe most poeple customize their serverbrowser (I'd love to hear if id has official numbers on this) and therefore never see when some pro-subscriber starts a server with some custom gamemode. Seeing how full the sampler matches are from time to time, the player potential is there, it's not like nobody wants to play those modes.

What I'd like to see, a queue system like LoL. You specify what modes you like to play, and hit an "Enter queue" button. After that you get seated to a server by the matchmaking system.

I believe this could help to populate less played modes and would help players to find random opponents for their insta-BFG-A&D-custom servers. That's a pretty big design change, doubt something like this will happen. But imo there is only so much you can do with the current system.

Let's just hope QL is profitable enough for them to make a 2.0 version...
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Quote Originally Posted by metapsy View Post
    What about a map rotation even more limited and lousy on purpose, but:

- Any pro subscriber would be able to spawn a standard server where any of the maps which were standard a year ago would be available (it'd immediately solve the 'space CTF issue', the 'TA maps issue', the 'FFA maps issue', etc.)

- Any premium and pro would be able to callvote half of these maps on any standard server (enhanced rotation for subscribers).

- Any premium and pro would be able to callvote teamsize, disabled for standard players.

So a default standard server would have like 2 maps per gametype and default newb-friendly settings judged as annoying by most of us (teamsize 8 in CTF or 16 slots on a small FFA map), however they would be easily modifiable/improvable by subscribers.

Regarding premium:

I'd remove all the premium servers besides duel and small CA ones and allow 5 random players to join any premium pro server (5 more if another pro user joins the server).

The whole premium model would just make more sense then. No pro user would say again that he/she waited one hour on his/her server and no one joined, because it wouldn't happen anymore. Even an improbable instagib One Flag CTF PQL server surely wouldn't stay empty for long.

You'd start to see A&D, Dom, and PQL servers, at least. More FT servers, also. More people would play and more people would subscribe, simple as that.

Actually, both ideas would increase the activity (standard and premium) and make the subscriptions more appealing, even for the subscribers who tend to play mostly on standard servers anyway.
    ^ metapsy 4 president!

Quote Originally Posted by metapsy View Post
    What about a map rotation even more limited and lousy on purpose, but:

- Any pro subscriber would be able to spawn a standard server where any of the maps which were standard a year ago would be available (it'd immediately solve the 'space CTF issue', the 'TA maps issue', the 'FFA maps issue', etc.)

- Any premium and pro would be able to callvote half of these maps on any standard server (enhanced rotation for subscribers).

- Any premium and pro would be able to callvote teamsize, disabled for standard players.

So a default standard server would have like 2 maps per gametype and default newb-friendly settings judged as annoying by most of us (teamsize 8 in CTF or 16 slots on a small FFA map), however they would be easily modifiable/improvable by subscribers.

Regarding premium:

I'd remove all the premium servers besides duel and small CA ones and allow 5 random players to join any premium pro server (5 more if another pro user joins the server).

The whole premium model would just make more sense then. No pro user would say again that he/she waited one hour on his/her server and no one joined, because it wouldn't happen anymore. Even an improbable instagib One Flag CTF PQL server surely wouldn't stay empty for long.

You'd start to see A&D, Dom, and PQL servers, at least. More FT servers, also. More people would play and more people would subscribe, simple as that.

Actually, both ideas would increase the activity (standard and premium) and make the subscriptions more appealing, even for the subscribers who tend to play mostly on standard servers anyway.
    This could work, but I could also see subscribers just hopping around servers to callvote things for freeloaders as well. It might require some tweaking in Standard servers where there would need to be a majority of the players being subscribers or something in order to get it to be entirely profitable for id to switch to. (Additionally, I could see someone making a subscriber account with a bot that could just go around voting servers for people in Standard servers. Note that this is not a "would see", but a "could see")

I'd F1 at the moment, but only because it can't get much worse than it is right now server-wise :/

Junior Member Cazalon is on a distinguished road
    me before I pay a subscription pro on this site, it is better to work better than it is because the 24 hours that I try to play and no way

+ Reply to Thread