+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: a plea

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    We all know that the people would be buying the same maps, and they'd end up being like:

CTF: Courtyard, Siberia, Japanese Castles, Space CTF, Ironworks, Troubled Waters, Spider Crossings (3-5 picks from the rest)

CA: Campgrounds, Almost Lost, Asylum, Quarantine, Hidden Fortress, Overkill, Trinity (3-5 picks from the rest)

Duel: Blood Run, Campgrounds, Aerowalk, Hektik, Lost World, Toxicity, Furious Heights (3-5 picks from the rest)

TDM: Campgrounds (9-11 picks from the rest)

FFA: (This is the only one that could essentially be 'hard' to determine since the map doesn't really "matter" from what I generally see in FFA)

InstaCTF: Dueling Keeps (9-11 picks from the rest)

InstaCA: Probably the same as CA

The numbers would have to be a lot lower than 10-12 maps, since people are bound to pick their favorite gametype to 'endorse', since there'd be no point in only buying a couple of maps unless they planned on spawning multiple gametypes (In which you'd just pick Campgrounds and then all your favorites)

[In reply to the negative rep portion]
    This is essentially all I see in the day. CTF is literally dead in North America. Sure, I could spawn a server and wait over an hour for people to join, but I've got other things to do instead. I have used my Pro, but you never see it because you're a) Not in North America and b) Not on when I'm usually on. Now, I'm sure you'll come back with a reply about how I have no games played lately: Congrats; I'm a college student and I spawn the servers for other people. That doesn't mean I need to be playing in them, especially since it's not usually gametypes that I play. I'm quite happy with having Pro, but honestly I could care less if I was Premium at the moment since I could still get into other servers. I use the Pro subscription but you don't ever see it.

However, you essentially just negative repped me for the heck of it and because you're holding a useless grudge. You disagree with anything I'll say specifically for no valid reason; your reason being "Oh, he got a Pro subscription by telling the truth about being a CTF player, but since the gametype is dead and he can't get into games, let's pretend that it's because he's not spending the hour or so involved to get a server going."

You literally are a joke and you hold grudges over the stupidest things. Even if I were to use the Pro subscription once and that was it, that was still worth having the subscription. You can't just assume that because I'm not spending my every waking hour spawning servers for people (with crappy modifications that all the noobs flock to [I'm looking at you Green3astard]) that I'm not using the subscription.

tl;dr for others: danstar's got a grudge

[In reply to the 'flaw']
    There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with something that's not a positive. If I were to like an idea, I'll endorse it. However, the ideas are usually bad and therefore I call them like they are.

[In reply to the '5 invites portion']
    Unless you've completely edited your post, this wasn't even remotely what you'd said. *This* I would agree with (See? I told you I don't just disagree with everything).
    Last edited by pikaluva13; 03-24-2013 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Had to add replies towards the edited portion from his post

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    i disagree, because people have different tastes, and it shows on the servers im on - i speak ffrom the pov of the eu scene, people end up on one or two prem servers for ctf - tastes vary from A to Z its not always what you assume people want, heck i've spent quite some time here i think i know what im talking about viewing an active scene that has parts of it fallen away because stuff has been taken away, even with prem membership hasnt been able to prosper, regardless of the pp13 update.

what you just listed is your choice, not everyone elses, pls keep that in mind, also the number of maps was just an example - theres tons of maps by now + there must be more than 1 server because theres enough people in the eu to fill up multiple ones - days where prem content was free shows that the activity would be ginormous.

perhaps the activity in the US is so low compared to the eu that you can't follow my traces on this idea.

again - its your opinion, but that doesnt mean what you said here is how its gonna be, you dont even try to understand that it would actually help the population grow again, instead of decreasing it by unsatisfied customers who tell me "im glad when my sub runs out".

crozar for example.. lets say he didnt buy people prem, but paid it all to ql, he should own a server that could spawn EVERY mode for anyone whenever he wants, which is online 24/7 and have all maps available.. the payment options are always something that could be altered, so i dont think your point is valid by saying its non-profitable.

edit: nope, i didnt bother checking your profile even once, during the entire time since you've had pro - i just read what you say here on the forums, i dont need to hold statistics up for stuff we both know.

that being said, this is you - not others, stop being an ego and try to be productive instead of talking against everything that someone else brings up, typical nay-sayer.

i dont have a grudge, no idea how you'd come up with that just because i come up with something that would easen up the membership. you are seriously a tool if you believe what you just wrote to me.

its common knowledge on ql that the activity in america < EU, also you dodged my question, i asked you if you get to use your pro sub with all it has to offer, clearly not if you say you'd have to wait an hour and it'd maybe be in vain, stop victimizing yourself here.
    Last edited by danstar; 03-24-2013 at 05:27 AM.

The different tastes thing is correct; however, I was talking about the general consensus from what I see. Sure, there's players that want Vortex Portal or other maps; that's why I included the "picks from the rest" based up your number of 10-12 maps.

For instance, I personally would never pick Troubled Waters as I can't stand the map since it's a rail-heavy map that people just camp mid with. It's a boring map in my opinion. I also wouldn't ever select Space CTF, for reasons you'll see in my signature. The rest of the maps I either like or am indifferent to playing. That's not to say that there's other I'd play as well.

I've got to quote this portion:
    perhaps the activity in the US is so low compared to the eu that you can't follow my traces on this idea.
    CTF in NA is DEAD. That's not even an underestimate; it's dead. 95% of the time when I look at servers it's always the garbage modified servers or it's servers that have insanely stupid teamsizes (8v8 on smaller maps, for instance). Occasionally I'll see a server with people in it that's 'acceptable' in terms of competitive CTF (It's still usually 5v5 though, which in NA generally is disliked by players in comparison to 4v4). I'll often join these server during warmup and will leave after about 30 minutes of waiting for other players to join. This happens a lot.

It's true that what I said could possibly be incorrect. However, I gave reasoning behind why it might not; I gave valid points and all you did was disagree because of a grudge. It's true that perhaps it'd work, but from thinking of a player *and* business perspective, it probably won't. They tried the whole "give free players most maps" thing; that didn't work. The map rotation *has* given profits (At least compared to before -- I don't have numbers on this, but it's been stated before).

The end portion is dedicated servers 100%. This could work, but that wasn't mentioned before either. I also agree with having a significantly more expensive subscription model that allows dedicated servers as long as the player has the system for it. (I'm talking about a *much* higher pricing model -- maybe a couple hundred dollars for a year of this -- I'd explain reasoning, but I can't really think of a way to put it into words well)

Advantages:
    -Players could use their own maps (alpha testing, etc)
    -Players could personally support the community outside of paying for subscriptions or running tournaments
    -Players would have more say in what they want and they'd be capable to do whatever they want

Disadvantages:
    -Some players won't realize not all the maps are available on every server. While this is normal in other games, it isn't normal for QL and would therefore just cause confusion.
    -Abusive admins would be immune to getting banned from their server because it's not id's server. Therefore, people could quit because of this (I think this was a reason behind people quitting Q3, but I could be wrong)
    -The server browser would probably need to be changed to include an "id server" vs "player server" just so players know which is which
    -It'd split up the community, since people could add defrag and stuff to their servers (Specifically I don't know how they would, but they could add an external stat-tracking system or something)

[In reply to the "Are you using the Pro to your advantage" portion]
    As I stated: CTF is DEAD in NA. I can't just magically get players that have quit playing the game entirely or gone to CA; they don't just flock to the servers because someone says there is one. You have to have a specified community. Also, there *are* the pickup servers (occasionally, but not always), but those are generally only the 'tier 5' players in there, and while they can populate a server, they'd essentially be starting a pickup.

I have used my Pro subscription, so that's all that should matter. I'm using what was given to me and that should be the end of that "accusation". Just because you're offering something that would be beneficial to a spawner it doesn't mean that I should agree with it for that reason. Just because I could possibly (Note that this wouldn't be a guarantee, but a possibility) wait several hours to get a server running doesn't mean that I should waste my time with it when there's other things or games that I could play. (I'm sure you'll argue that I could spawn a server, idle it, and then play another game; I personally can't as I don't have a decent enough system to play games on. I get lag whenever there's another game open.)

Again, I'm looking at both a player perspective as well as a business perspective; you appear to be looking more from a player perspective or from the perspective of external people that are helping the community. (Which doesn't exactly count as a business perspective, seeing as you basically said that they'd be losing large profits if crozar were to stop buying subscriptions for others and just buy an overall subscription. The price would have to be larger than my initial thoughts on it for them to go even just from his perspective.
    Last edited by pikaluva13; 03-24-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    if the community prospers again, a split wouldnt matter

theres so much to add still, the best idea then would just be to let people use their invites as free joins / hour or whatever because this sisyphean challenge-system we got right now is just lame.

edit: no i dont wanna derail this idea with some of the stuff you posted, if you say ur happy how ur hosting then its fine, im just saying it could be better for the subscribers and thats why i started to elaborate a bit on some thoughts that came to mind.

it most likely, will never happen so nvm about it.
    Last edited by danstar; 03-24-2013 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danstar View Post
    if the community prospers again, a split wouldnt matter

theres so much to add still, the best idea then would just be to let people use their invites as free joins / hour or whatever because this sisyphean challenge-system we got right now is just lame.
    If it was switched to "free slots" instead of invite-only, that'd be fine. However, that wasn't brought up until the most recent post from you and therefore I couldn't comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by EDITED PORTION IN REPLY TO PREVIOUS POST'S EDIT
    I never disagreed with you saying it would be bad for a subscriber. However, it has to be looked at from the business perspective as well because otherwise the game could just die out from lack of profits. In my honest opinion, you're basically just accusing me because you had nothing to back up your original thoughts; you've brought up new 'information' that wasn't mentioned in earlier posts several times that I was supposed to magically know from thin air

[Unrelated to reply, but are my thoughts on what id should do; tl;dr will be at the bottom]
    I've stated before and I'll state again: I personally think they should stop making new maps and gametypes and should try to fix the optimization as well as update the website. Optimization would hurt nobody, and nearly everyone can benefit from it (The people with decent systems already probably wouldn't notice an increase in performance). With a new website, they'd could essentially remarket the game.

By "remarket", I mean that they could include more features that the community has wanted (ladder / more statistics for subscribers). The community would like this, and therefore if they wanted these, they'd be forced to pay. *HOWEVER* they would need to be only showing the specific player's position in the ladder and not everyone as then only one person would *need* a subscription to have it all. While I personally wouldn't like this "feature", it's one that would probably increase profits for id, and therefore keep the game alive longer.

I also feel that they should do something where you basically get paid to play. Perhaps have something where if you play on a server for an extended period of time ("play" being the key word), you'll get some amount of in-game currency to spend playing on "Premium" servers.

Additionally, it could also be cool for a QLRANKs-like bot to follow a specific player around (if they pay for it) and then having them be a "featured" player on the website.

tl;dr:
    -Stop making maps
    -Stop making gametypes
    -Update website
    -Optimization
    -Ladders/more stats for subscribers-only (That are only visible to the logged-in account to force people to subscribe if they want these)
    -In-game currency to buy Premium server in-game time
    -Featured player follower bot

UNRELATED EDIT TO THE OP THAT I FORGOT TO INCLUDE EARLIER:
    In the OP, it's mentioned that TF2 made profits by going F2P. The only reason this is possible is because they have microtransactions. QL does not have these, so it wouldn't work (and hasn't worked in the past).
    Last edited by pikaluva13; 03-24-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    Im a happy Pro Subscriber! And no I dont use it.Im just glad I am able to support it.Ive done it before (in GS) and will do it again.Plus I dont complain.All this is old news.People with trivial game issues in my opinion,,Are Just Spoiled Brats.And you have to consider this , Its not a true life aspect and has no outcome in life. Ok..you can beat me up now......

Junior Member ronaldthemad is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlife1 View Post
    Im a happy Pro Subscriber! And no I dont use it.Im just glad I am able to support it.Ive done it before (in GS) and will do it again.Plus I dont complain.All this is old news.People with trivial game issues in my opinion,,Are Just Spoiled Brats.And you have to consider this , Its not a true life aspect and has no outcome in life. Ok..you can beat me up now......
    I don't have issues with the game its self, just the subscription model. Which isn't trivial, because it has a large impact on the quantity of people playing. Its great that you want to support Quake live, but don't you think its odd that there isn't much incentive to use the services you paid for?

Its not just you who pays for a subscription without using premium services.

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    There are plenty of incentives.Start your own game,invite freinds,private matches,access to all maps? Well most perks are in PRO.The model to me is set fine.Never have people had the oppertunity to buy into something and be able to do this as far as this Game Platform goes(you can quote me on that). Never had it in Gamespy or Mplayer..Its a hard game to learn and even harder to Master.As I have observed over the years,some people choose a easier way to survive in this game.CA has taken off as a point of more Clans being set up than CTF.Seems that is what people want. .I think we should be all lucky that they made it a free game to play and offer the chance for a few dollers to setup our own thing.Yes certain game platforms are suffering,but the ones that are, people are not to interested in.

Senior Member infntnub is on a distinguished road infntnub's Avatar
    This may be considered unrelated but I think it's in the same line of thinking... why not let the pro subscribers do a vote each month for the map rotations?

No matter what, you're ultimately going to leave a map or two out that people enjoy but the odds are pretty good the maps voted on by subscribers would be enjoyed, for the most part, by the non-subscribers.

It would also give a slight incentive to subscribe in order to have a say in the matter.

I'm fine with the structure either way; in the end this game comes down to having a strong friend list to find games amongst. Thankfully I have one that rarely leaves me searching for games.

~edit~

I realize I basically reiterated some things already said here, but I just wanted to say I'm on board with the concept. :~)
    Quake 3 1.16n Noghost iFreezetag

-UE- .o2o. -g0d- n[2]p foq -end- *pWp* oBs H$ iD aM q3p {DR} *MS* uTk dT |c*|

Great Memories That Will Last A Lifetime :~)

http://www.instalounge.co.nr/

Quote Originally Posted by infntnub View Post
    This may be considered unrelated but I think it's in the same line of thinking... why not let the pro subscribers do a vote each month for the map rotations?

No matter what, you're ultimately going to leave a map or two out that people enjoy but the odds are pretty good the maps voted on by subscribers would be enjoyed, for the most part, by the non-subscribers.

It would also give a slight incentive to subscribe in order to have a say in the matter.

I'm fine with the structure either way; in the end this game comes down to having a strong friend list to find games amongst. Thankfully I have one that rarely leaves me searching for games.

~edit~

I realize I basically reiterated some things already said here, but I just wanted to say I'm on board with the concept. :~)
    While this would be a good idea to get more interacitvity from the community and would be good for subscribers to get what they want, unfortunately it'd just result in the same maps getting played over and over, and would mean subscriptions would become useless again other than to get your single vote on the maps. (Meaning lowered profits for id)

+ Reply to Thread