+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: a plea

Junior Member ronaldthemad is on a distinguished road

a plea

The current business model has killed dueling in the NA scene. It is vital for the health of the game to make it easy as possible for people to pick up and play how they wish. I let my sub run out, because I could wait 10+ minutes in a blood run duel and not see anyone join.

Please revert the patch that cycles maps between premium and free. If you don't want to do this then there are plenty of successful free to play models across multiple genres in today's gaming world that would improve the state of the community.

When Valve made TF2 free to play their playerbase increased by a factor of 10 and their profits went up by a factor of 3, and when they started implementing community content their profits shot up again.

There are many smart people working at id and I'm sure you guys can come up with something better that doesn't segregate the community, and kill any motivation for Quake fans to put money into the game. Which is what the current model does. No one wants to buy a subscription because they're afraid there will be no one to play with, and they'd be right for the most part.

I love Quake Live, but its to the point where its like a theme park with no one to ride the rides with. Please come up with a model that encourages community content, player retention, and increases profitability for you and highly skilled players.

tldr; id please don't give up on this game.

Senior Member Mr_Bombadil1 is on a distinguished road
    nicely written ron, even though the subjects been done to death, and yeah there must be a better way.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    We all want hats.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    We all want hats.
    I want killstreaks first. (But seriously: I want a killstreaks mode :P)

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    I still want that plasma gun that shoots pink hearts at people.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    how about letting pro users BUY the product as in.. select a variety of maps per month to host for anyone to join? sure this idea would need some expanding, but think about it before you reply to this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by danstar View Post
    how about letting pro users BUY the product as in.. select a variety of maps per month to host for anyone to join? sure this idea would need some expanding, but think about it before you reply to this idea.
    It wouldn't be profitable for id. People would organize themselves and make sure that they had 100% of the maps available to everyone. Then people would eventually learn which names had which maps and nobody else would need to buy a subscription.

F2.

Additionally, I realize they'd need to do this in each community, but it'd still end up the same; id wouldn't make a profit.

you really think that? i dont.. like i said the idea needs to be thought into a bit deeper and its not like everyone is friends with one another or wants to be, some just wanna play and skip the entire invite stuff.

people will want to host stuff themselves, thus gaining activity like the op states - make a higher price if needed (i dont care).

imo you are too short-sightet to see the benefit of the idea here, because if applied properly, theres no punishment for customers nor free users, because people who have these hosting rights simply pay more to have exclusive rights to do this.

all these modes that are unused? nice that they are here but all we generally get to play on are samplers. i dont think people would organize themselves like you state, people would wanna host and true die hard fans will pay anyway, funny that you f2 an idea that would actually benefit your very own pro subscription and also id on the long run.

formula is simple - happy customers = more activity (people would still pay to skip ads even though there are ad-scripts etc) for various prem features that are there or like i already mentioned, people pay a higher price for their sub to have special rights.

i could go on but i just suggested a small portion of what could actually be a better model for all players because its not thought out until the end.

also.. if the users are unsatisfied, id wont profit on the long run
    Last edited by danstar; 03-24-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Seeing as your suggestion didn't have any actual numbers in it, I assumed that you were saying to leave the price at the same point. However, I still completely think it would end up hurting id in the long run. You might think that the hardcore players will donate, but they like free things just like everyone else; they might donate initially, but then they'll complain about something else (Like other specific players ruining their matches because there's nothing to exclude them from joining)

Until there's more laid out numbers and such, all we can go by is what's written. With that in mind, I completely F2 it since it wouldn't be profitable. You don't want to give free members everything for free essentially; that works in other games where there's cosmetic purchases available, but that wouldn't really work in QL.

Thanks for the negative rep btw just for opposing an idea and actually backing it up with reasons, unlike other people.
    Last edited by pikaluva13; 03-24-2013 at 04:51 AM.

if lets say, u could just pick 10-12 maps for a month for a mode (you buy a subscription you actually can host what you want for - and if you dont do it, it wont be available unless people have prem)

the goal of this is to be able to play more than 5 maps on premium, because various maps that are prem never get voted, and you will have to wait until they reach the free map-pool again.

so if its not profitable for id on the long run, this model is? sounds like denial. i gave the example before btw, name me one pro subscriber (ffa player) that is happy with his/her subscription and gets to fully use what it should offer.

a solution could be this one, nothing with cosmetics, simply map content which you pay for and you get to play it whenever you want to because people can just join because YOU paid for it.

heck, i'd even pay more so others wouldnt have to, and you f2 it because you clearly aren't on the same wavelength.

ps: players ruining matches? pls.. hosting should always have had perma ban options, and in this case it would need to be implemented to be able to host your server properly so thats not even anything one would have to worry about.

np with the negative rep, i fully disagree with a person like you who basically begged someone for free pro and tell me.. do you get to use it the way you want to? if you say yes, ur a liar, if you say no its basically you saying ur happy because u didnt pay anything and will accept anything tossed at you. hard choice isnt it(?!).

let me extend this post with another flaw, besides the fact that everytime someone comes up with an idea, a guy like you who only lurks here to find errors in an idea instead of actively giving input which could benefit for both of us, you see the negativity in it - great progress for us.

why cant i just set my 5 invites to 5 free slots (which would show up on the server browser) and people could just join and the rest would follow once they see there is activity on something they wanna play. the current model forces you to go through all kinds of socializing which can be ok, but always? its a joke that wont prosper on the long run, how can you not see this.
    Last edited by danstar; 03-24-2013 at 05:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread