+ Reply to Thread

Thread: radeon HD 4870 1gb gddr5 struggling with quakelive??

Junior Member Ezerhordren is on a distinguished road

Question radeon HD 4870 1gb gddr5 struggling with quakelive??

Sup guys, I have a weird problem here:

i bout a 2nd hand pc, wich had windows home premium along with the aforementioned card, 3gb ram (ddr2 800) and athlon II x3 2.7GHz. I have a very graphically minimalist CFG (lightmapped, low texture ql, 1024x720, trilinear filter, curved surfaces set as "performance", no skybox, no effect no nothing, not even dynamic lights).

when I had this pc with the old OS, and ****ty drivers, every map was stuck at 120fps, no fluctuation (my monitor is 60hz so I set com_maxfps 120 for "smoothness") now I formated the C drive, Installed windows 7 pro 32bits, I used the amd driver detector software and It installed CCC legacy driver 13.1 and now every ****ing map struggles to get 115-100 fps... why is that? can Anyone point me why the SAME config with worst OS performed better than a newly formated pc with a better OS? is the video driver right? wich is the best driver for quakelive? what can I do? because with this pc (I know is low end, but still) I think I should be able to max out almost everything in QL (i can run a LOT of more mothern games very smoothly it just sucks at QUAKELIVE with this new driver)

can someone help me please? the FPS fluctuation is ****ing my LG and RL :/

please? anyone else using this videocard? wich drivers are you using??

Senior Member theMolester is on a distinguished road theMolester's Avatar
    Rule out the 13.1 CCC by uninstalling and allowing Windows to install a driver. Then test quakelive and report back. That video card should have 0 problems holding 125fps.

Side note: fps should be capped at 125. Period.
    Friend all SPAWN members to receive invites to Premium servers!! Click to learn SpaceCTF

Sup, I did what you told me, but It was almost the same, so it was obvious that the videocard wasn't the problem. Messing with the option I disabled "Catalyst A.I." and now it run perfectly, BUT newer games like warhammer spacemarine, doom 3 bfg edition, painkiller: hell and damnation runs like **** with that feature turned off... so I'll just do a special profile for quakelive and that's it, problem solved. I hope this could help some other ati users.

btw: I have a 60Hz monitor, do I really need to cap fps to 125? wouldnt it be like like 55% interpolated frames wich mess with precition?

Senior Member theMolester is on a distinguished road theMolester's Avatar
    Its importance to the game physics is paramount.
    Last edited by theMolester; 03-22-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    Friend all SPAWN members to receive invites to Premium servers!! Click to learn SpaceCTF

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezerhordren View Post
    (my monitor is 60hz so I set com_maxfps 120 for "smoothness")
    Being a bit pedantic, but there is actually no 120 fps in QL.

Only integer values of 1000/x are taken, to a max of 125 and a minimum of 30. Maxfps values are always rounded up, so if you input com_maxfps 112, it will really be 125. If you put in 105 it will really be 111.

Currently cg_drawFPS has a cap to prevent it from displaying a number that is higher than com_maxFPS. So the values shown by drawFPS can be incorrect, as for example com_maxfps 120 will show up as 120, even though it is actually 125. This can verified with fraps.

As for your fps issue, I also strongly suspect a driver problem. You might look into some performance tweaks for windows 7 though just in case that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by theMolester View Post
    Its importance to the game physics is paramount.
    Actually the physics will be the same in QL at any of the allowable FPS values. Not that <125 is ever desirable.

thanks lorfa, I spent the evening using some performance tweaks that I found in various forums, specially moving the kernel to the memory, improved a lot. Thanks for the fps explanation, and yes, I've read that the last "good" driver was 12.4 don't know about downgrading because of performance with newer titles. Time will tell.

*Cando
    I have the same card comes with the new Toshiba satellite lap top ,I got a few months ago.
    I am using with windows 8... now updated to 8.1.
    I am using with it an external KB,mouse,and monitor...all seems well so far.
    In regards,
    ~~disable Catalyst A.I. yes that might work~~.
    I have no need so far to do so,but what ever works.
    Good thing to know in case i ever have problems.
    I can get 250 fps,but it jumps from 166 to 250, but at maxed 125 it is pretty stable at 125 fps.
    Maybe stick with the original OS it could be the driver, but I think it was ur config..
    now that you did all that, god knows what the heck is going on...
    Just keep working on it.
    It is a good card for QL honest,
    Best of luck m8
    Last edited by Cando; 05-10-2014 at 01:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread