+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finding better players to battle?

Junior Member festiveturtle is on a distinguished road

Finding better players to battle?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I'm still pretty new to QL (been playing Quake 3 for 6 or 7 years though).

I've started playing online matches and every time, I win pretty easily and get called hacker, cheater, etc. I'm not that great of a player and get owned all the time in Q3, and I know there are some really good players here too, but how do you find them? :/ Is there some way to find servers with a certain amount of skills? I hope I'm not offending anyone, and I really don't mean to, but I was expecting more of a challenge.
    I'm still kind of lost on this whole thing anyway, finding servers and everything is kind of confusing!

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    No offence to the FFA crowd, but the better players usually aren't much interested in this mod. It maybe be simply because it's much too easy when there is only one or two good player in the server at a time, not because of the mod. But fact is that FFA is not the place to meet competition. As it is now, it's mostly a mode where casual players can play within themselves.

If you want to face better opponent, start by trying another mode. If CA interests you, you can find correct opponents on public servers at any hour of the day. If you don't like it, you can hop on #natdm.ql on QuakeNet to participate in TDM pickups. You can also make Pro subscriber friends that like to duel to be able to join the duel premium servers. There are CTF pickups too in #qlpickup.us on QuakeNet.

Senior Member intheway will become famous soon enough intheway's Avatar
    I'm offended...and I don't play with myself.
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    Then it hits me.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Oh, by the way, if you're not familiar with IRC, here's an easy way to access the channel I was talking about :
    https://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=natdm.ql

Senior Member intheway will become famous soon enough intheway's Avatar
    No offence to the op, but with 3 wins, 15 losses, 9 quits and an overall acc of 21.53% you're not exactly steamrolling your opponents. Believe me, there are heaps of better ffa players than that. If you are american (flag in your stats) check out the VA, IND or DC ffa servers any evening after about 9 or 10. You can customize the server filters to show only populated ffa servers in your region. You'll find plenty of people willing to poke you a new one.
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    Then it hits me.

Junior Member festiveturtle is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the replies, I'll check out some of those options. Never played much of CA/TDM/CTF but I'll try it :]

Yeah, I know there are better FFA players, my question is how to find them lol. most of the losses are from when I was messing around and setting up config still, I know I'm not that good, just looking for something that matches my level.

So far I'm really starting to like this version of Quake though!

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Players are separated in skill tiers. If I'm not mistaken you start in tier 3. Tier 1 to 3 is for new/casual players. The better players are playing Tier 4. You should see servers with a green checkmark (your tier) or with up/down arrows. Try joining servers with up arrows to find better players. You can check your tier (and others) on the profile page (statistics tab). Grey bars mean you need more games in that mode to get properly ranked.

The density of outstanding good people is very low in ffa, you might get the biggest beating in duel. If you want additional anger from teammates try tdm/ca/ctf. And have fun

Edit: it became quite a sport to accuse better people. Take it with a smile.
    Last edited by malk_; 03-21-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

+ Reply to Thread