+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need help new 120 hz acer monitor screen locking

Junior Member END is on a distinguished road

need help new 120 hz acer monitor screen locking

Ok so like a month ago i broke my viewsonic 120hz monitor.. screen cracked sucked so bad.. i had to wait like a week before getting a new one just to find out viewsonic didnt make any more.. so i trolled and found thew acer 120hz.. so purchased the monitor loaded up ql and the performance was just so horrible. i looked at reviews of the acer and ql and no never mentioned anything. So ive been through two weeks of replacing vid cards upgrading to win 7 64 bit.. i mean just everything..I even sent the acer back and got a new one cause i thought that one was broke.. Now to the problem itself.. when im playing it like smooth like 120 should be.. but than when its going fast or in a lg fight up close the screen starts lagging... like freezes for a milisecond repeatedly... its so annoying and im not sure what it could be.. thought cause this new monitor is a 1ms compared to my old 3ms that something could be wrong there.. but i got a quad core i7
    with 4 gigz of ram a 265 gt vid card ( i also went and bought a new 620 gtx didnt change anything so returned it) and it seems like it should run this smoothly.. so please if anyone has any idea what this could be im all ears... Also since i started playing im noticing in the lagometer a lot of yellow chunks now instead of a solid green.. However i throw a practice arena up and it still does the same thing... the screen locking is just unbearable i ready to ship this acer back and try the asus 144hz... HELP!!!

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Same thing happen in q3? You could test the demo version.

What about fast moving video? Any issues there?

You could also try different resolutions and tinkering with r_displayRefresh to see if that has any effect on the problem.

Another test you could run is to set cl_yawspeed to a high number in a practice game, then bind an arrow key to +left or +right. If during a fast turn it still has the same issue it rules out a mouse problem (I know this sounds unlikely because it apparently didn't have a mouse problem on the viewsonic, but these things happen!).

Some displays have drivers, so as a shot in the dark you could look into that.

I'm not sure if powerstrip works for lcds, but it's something to try so that you could try different refresh rate values and see what happens. Also you could try tinkering with the scaling options in video card settings.

What if you cranked up your brightness settings really high such that you'd be in a room with all white textures. If you turned fast then, do you still see something unusual? If so what is it?

Also is it consistent? Like if you make a turn in-game and you see the screen freeze for a millisecond or w/e you're describing, and then you play a demo of you making this turn, does it freeze in the same spot?

If you can find something that at least affects the problem it will give an insight into what the problem actually is.

i will have time to test after work today.. finally the weekend thanks for the suggestions i will definitely test these out.. I did upgrade to win 7 64 bit and got new drivers for my mouse but i didnt like them so i just reinstalled the win 7 32 bit version again.. maybe that could be it hmm interesting...

ok so just got done doing some testing.. I installed the 64 bit version again of the mouse ware or setpoint for the g500 i dont like it but did it to test.. Nothing changed.. I loaded up q3 which i havent for like years but did it.. its smooth no freezes at any point at all.. still had my old cfg only thing different is the r_mode i have to use i think max for q3 was 800x600.. I also demoed myself in qlive.. I noticed when watching the demo there was no screen pause.. it seemed like sometimes i could see it than not.. idk i think i need soemone else to take a look at the demo and see if you can see it.. anyways more testing anyone has thoughts on what it could be im all ears

wait i just watched another demo and yes it does happen in demo to like just stops fora ms then goes smooth again... leave me a email address so i ccan send it to u its obvious in my demo it just skips.. i even mark it..

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    You should be able to use whichever resolution you wish with q3.

As for the demo what you should try is to see if the hiccup occurs at the same time as when you saw it on-screen.

Demos can stutter a bit at times, it happens. It isn't something unusual anyways.

You can e-mail me here.

By the way what video card do you have? Is it SLI?

sent the demos.. short ones.. but it shows the lag im talking about.. I have a 265 gtx it works good i can play black ops and now q3 and it runs fine no pauses.. I tried to delete quakelive and run from a standard config didnt seem to help any..

+ Reply to Thread