+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stretching before playing?

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Stretching before playing?

I read the ultimate quake live guide and it said to stretch. I play Quake a bit at a time several times a day. Does that mean I should stretch before everytime i start? Will stretching too much mess something up somehow?

Senior Member RockvilleRideOn is on a distinguished road
    QuakeLive is, as a whole, a physical endeavor that at times can be more demanding physically than your average game of football, basketball, or soccer... A good plake quayer has big muscles...

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleRideOn View Post
    QuakeLive is, as a whole, a physical endeavor that at times can be more demanding physically than your average game of football, basketball, or soccer... A good plake quayer has big muscles...
    I'm a good plake quayer.

Senior Member xXApathyXx is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleRideOn View Post
    A good plake quayer has big muscles...
    I sense sarcasm in this =P

As for op: Stretching your arms and cracking your fingers and/or knuckles can help.

Should I stretch the hands everytime I start playing (I play a bit and stop for a bit several times daily)?

Thanks for the stretches but I still don't know the answer to my question just above.

Junior Member vine is on a distinguished road vine's Avatar
    To answer the question: I do not think it is possible to stretch too much.

There was a dude that is a physical trainer that was hanging out interviewed during one of the DreamHacks (I think it was Summer during one of the 2GD couch things, not 100%) last year that showed some basic stretches. The pics Lorfa posted above include all of the ones I remember. I'm a generally fit person and exercise daily but a combination of playing with a low sensitivity and for too long was giving me some issues. I started doing the stretches above, thinking about ergonomics (for example, I have a tendency to sit on my foot with my weight shifted to the left, I started keeping both feet on the floor) and taking a break every three maps or so and I haven't had any soreness since.

The physical aspect of games like QL is interesting to me and often overlooked. Another area that could be explored more is the topic of nootropics and other substances that can boost your mental game.

If you stretch too much couldn't you get RSI just fro doing those stretches over and over around 7 times a day?

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eduguy View Post
    If you stretch too much couldn't you get RSI just fro doing those stretches over and over around 7 times a day?
    All things in moderation.

+ Reply to Thread