+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sampler Matches Updated - Red Rover

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar

Sampler Matches Updated - Red Rover

The Sampler Matches have been updated, now running Red Rover on Terminatria.

Red Rover is a mix between Clan Arena and Free For All. When you frag a player on the opposing team, they switch to your team and help you hunt down the remaining enemies. The round ends when all players are on the same team. You gain one point for every player you frag, and lose one point for every time you die. The player with the highest score at the end of 10 rounds of play is the winner!

As always, the Sampler servers are available in limited capacity, so look for matches named "Red Rover Sampler" and enjoy!

Senior Member RockvilleRideOn is on a distinguished road
    I have always been perplexed by this mod... Even though there may be an occasional teamkill that makes the difference between a player getting or not getting a potential point... Why have teams, since they hardly serve any function (unlike Infected where the two teams have different levels of power)... Can anyone clear up for me the benefits of this being the way it is rather than just Free For All with a 1 pt penalty for when you die... Thanks..

Member shady15 is on a distinguished road
    really u need to rethink the map that u choose for red rover case every time i play it i find it on a map that doesn't go with it
    thnx
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 03-20-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shady15 View Post
    really u need to rethink the map that u choose for red rover case every time i play it i find it on a map that doesn't go with it
    thnx
    although i dont fancy the mode as much as the other ones, this isn't true, it was playable on cold war. you claim something and name zero reasoning for it.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 03-20-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Junior Member Bau000 is on a distinguished road
    It only needs some setting up to make sure it's not game of the best fragstealer. Insta switch and freemovement is a must so you can deal the leathal amount of damage in short time. I fancy the limited ammo, and crossover between ca og ffa but some kind of handicap for each death would give it some sence of a game to stay alive in and not like now, where it can be smart to get killed by the underdog team to get to the poentional points.

Senior Member RockvilleRideOn is on a distinguished road
    There's no such thing as a cross between FFA and CA, which is why this mode doesn't work (Infected doesn't even "work", but it is way more fun).. There are two possibilities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFMe2jFfhAI (hehe)...

1. CA: Working as a team
    2. FFA: Working as an individual

There is no in between..

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleRideOn View Post
    There is no in between..
    Everyone! Stop playing Red Rover! There is no in between!

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I have always been perplexed by this mod... Even though there may be an occasional teamkill that makes the difference between a player getting or not getting a potential point... Why have teams, since they hardly serve any function (unlike Infected where the two teams have different levels of power)... Can anyone clear up for me the benefits of this being the way it is rather than just Free For All with a 1 pt penalty for when you die... Thanks..
    It's more a combination of clan arena, freezetag, and FFA.

A death results in giving the enemy team more players, ala freezetag (works by subtracting one). You can also get players back like in freezetag, except instead of unfreezing them you frag them.

You have all weapons, ala clan arena, but unlike clan arena you can keep playing after a death.

Also, dying twice gives you an opportunity to get more damage/kills as there is likely to be more enemies about in that circumstance.

It is like FFA because the game is decided by individual performance. The player with most frags/least deaths wins.

Someone who is on your team can actually function as your enemy, and vice versa! It can get pretty cutthroat.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    1. CA: Working as a team
    2. FFA: Working as an individual

There is no in between..
    "Working as a team" has many different ingredients.

There are tactics that consist of controlling areas, timing stuff, pressuring powerup X over Y etc. The only tactics CA has is agreeing on a meeting point and regroup point.

Then there's teamplay that consists of grouping up, attacking in formation and cessing or attacking in waves. CA has most of that (although there are less formations and there's no cessing).

So basically there are following levels of "working as a team":
    1. Working as a team - TDM.
    2. Playing tactically, but not as whole team (split positions statically) - CTF.
    3. Having something like a tactic, but relying only on teamplay - CA.
    4. Pure teamplay - RR.
    5. Working as an individual - FFA.

RR is the best casual mode, because I can just jump around, shoot stuff with my all weapons, but respawn after dying. If I want to step it up, I can try winning the round after being last on team and stuff. But if I don't care and just go all Rambo, I won't break anyone's game. Even quitters don't break anything (until there's 3 people left on server). It's that great!

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    ^good post.

Only things to be added are these:
    1.- CA and FFA are pretty bad examples of teamplay and individual play respectively.
    2.- The in-between of those is 2v2 tdm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

+ Reply to Thread