+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Linux - extremely slow

Junior Member katar666 is on a distinguished road

Linux - extremely slow

Hello.
    I use Linux (Lubuntu distributive, last version) + Firefox 19 (also tried QLPrism).
    QL starts normally, but in the game I have 2-3 frames per minute !! absolutely unplayable. Does anybody know what can I do?

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    In windows this means that QL cannot see your graphics card. The standard fix in windows is to either reinstall the current graphics drivers or update them.

How this works in linux I am not sure, but with the 2-3 fps thing this is certainly the "pathogenesis".

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    In windows this means that QL cannot see your graphics card. The standard fix in windows is to either reinstall the current graphics drivers or update them.

How this works in linux I am not sure, but with the 2-3 fps thing this is certainly the "pathogenesis".
    It's the same thing like Windows.. Lubuntu installed a proprietary driver that needs to be changed. When I ran Ubuntu 12.04 I had to change my driver.

Not sure how Lubuntu is set up as compared to Ubuntu.. But you can get more info and help here
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

Member 4rm0r is on a distinguished road
    I got quake going on 12.04 ubuntu the other day. Things you might wanna look at are

*Update gfx drivers through the update manager, or use the commands for your distribution to add the gfx drivers and update them (probably you want x-swat nvidia drivers or maybe the ones direct from nvidia site)

*Turn of Vsync (called "V blank" if you use nvidia drivers)

*if quake is choppy bad fps, Log into ubuntu in 2d mode (its a setting/button at the login password screen of ubuntu)

*If your mousewheel is not very responsive and cuts out you want to revert something called Xorg server to version : xorg-server 2:1.11.4-0ubuntu11ppa2really10.5
    webpage : https://launchpad.net/~supernaicol/+archive/xorg
    or add the ppa:supernaicol/xorg to your package sources

Then if it works you might wanna work on fine tune the mouse

Senior Member MajkiFajki is on a distinguished road
    Make sure you don't have those drivers, they came with 12.04 IIRC
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/982710

Senior Member BuzzBlade is on a distinguished road
    Certain chipsets are funky and not supported out the box, and although the mechanism to use the video card and display X is successful, it can not use the hardware implementation of openGL, default back to software, which gives 3 fps . People often think this game needs intensive hardware but I beg to differ blah blah blah.

Using an 2d oriented window manager such as lxde, openbox or xfce INSTEAD of kde or gnome, can significantly help as mentioned above.

Although not using ubuntu, I do use linux and when I use Openbox instead of KDE virtually all maps lose the fps drop. KDM and GDM display managers support selection of the windows manager on boot.

can you pastebin the output of:

dmesg

lspci -k

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

uname -av

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    First things first!

Just paste output of:

glxinfo | grep -e rendering: -e string:

Member DoktorTeeth is on a distinguished road
    I know that there is specifically an issue with latest ATI drivers and a subset of ATI cards, I had to roll mine back when I switched to Linux Mint 14, there's a fix in the Ubuntu forums. mine still doesn't work perfectly, but it's a lot better than it was, I still can't play in windowed mode with firefox or prism and with Chrome there's an issue where, after it's been running, more and more swap space starts to be used, and everything starts to lag, and my framerate drops to 13-30 fps, my fix for that is a reboot: swap returns to 0, and all is running smooth again until I next I run Chrome

*HELL_YEAH
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    First things first!

Just paste output of:

glxinfo | grep -e rendering: -e string:

Hi, I have that:

direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.4
    client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    client glx version string: 1.4
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33 x86/MMX/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 9.0.3

Have I to change the drivers? I'm using Linux Mint 14, and QL is very slow: 1 frame each 2 segons! But QL worked fine in Ubuntu 10.04, so I don't know if I have to configure de file xorg.conf or what... I pasted in manually:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel Graphics"
    Driver "intel"
    Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
    EndSection

What can I do? Or what should I do?

PD: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg doesn't work in Linux Mint 14 (?)
    PD2: And, for example, I can't install de lib glx-diversions, returns an error (broken packages).

*HELL_YEAH
    I have the solution to that problem!!!!!! Worked perfect for me!

Go to your CONFIG file in /home/user/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/qzconfig.cfg and add that line:
    seta r_enablePostProcess "0"

Do this without the home of QuakeLive opened, because sometimes it can't save the changes, so close QuakeLive, edit that file, open QuakeLive and enjoy!!

Source

+ Reply to Thread