+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cloudwalk beta test (cloudwalk_beta.pk3)

Junior Member TaraHadrian is on a distinguished road

Cloudwalk beta test (cloudwalk_beta.pk3)

... has ended.
    You can now grab the final version here, all links are updated. I whish to thank all the mappers here at mappers corner for their support and their suggestions. That was great, thanks!

I'd allways loved the q3-space-floaters so this is one, mixed with indoor style. Cloudwalk ist a skyrig, that hovers 36000 feet above the sea to extract anti-gravitiy from the continuum of the universe.

I decided to give the map a concrete-theme with some techpanels to keep the look clean (I prefer that). I have also wrote some nice shaders. Gametypes are: ffa team ca tourney ft. 2 to 8 player should feel comfortable in this map.

Download final version (4mb):
    Cloudwalk_final

Page:
    http://www.tara-hadrian.de/deckard/cloudwalk.htm

Gameflow
    Item Layout

Have fun, I am happy if you will drop me some lines
    Last edited by TaraHadrian; 04-07-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Cool. It could be a fun FFA map. It's a good idea to put the railgun in a difficult to reach area on such an open map. I would recommend you however to stick with the button, teleport and walk of the shaft to make it reachable. Firing mg at the light just makes it way too easy to get a railgun.

Thanks for your suggestion. I never thought, it could be a way to get the railgun, because the crates rise very fast, after falling down. But definitly - it is a way. My intention was: shoot at the blue flare, and a camper with the railgun falls down with the crates. If he is a perfekt sniper than you can use the button as a second option to bring him down from his upper position. Maybe a solution is: I can give the railgun item a nodrop-key like the quad. Than it will flow in midair even if the crates fall.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Then players would still be able to hop on the crates and rise with them to take the railgun.

True. Have to think about it. Falling time is a second, rise also. Wait between is 5 seconds. The teleporter or jumppad might be the faster option, but nevertheless it should not be too easy to reach the railgun (I gave here only five shots). I go an playtest al little bit.

Senior Member cityy is on a distinguished road
    Recorded myself playing the map for the first time and commentating.

Senior Member AXxXxO is on a distinguished road AXxXxO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cityy View Post
    Recorded myself playing the map for the first time and commentating.

nice review and really really nice map!
    i couldnt agree more with cityy and flash...looking forward for next version !
    Quote Originally Posted by Downlink View Post
    Add A Killcam Maybe?
    Only available for COD MW3 owners!Coming soon i next update....

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Am I the only one that felt it was too cramped and tight? Everything looks nice, but just imagine how OP RL would be on it. You hit one rocket and can either knock them off the map or you get splash damage because it hits a wall near them.

Thanks cityy for your video-review, that gave me a lot of input.
    For a mapper it is important to see how someone jumps in his map, who has never played it before. It will reveal the things that are well done and the things that are bad. I want to make my map better, so lets talk about the things that have to be tweaked (the others are well described in your video).

Cloudwalk is a fun map, no doubt about it. So I thought, I could be nice, to give a player with one jump a lot of power. There are three ways:
    1. Quad-->teleprt-->railgun
    2. Mega-->jumppad (aircontrol)-->railgun
    3. Mega-->Jumppad (no aircontrol, drop to pool)-->quad-->teleport-->railgun

Okay, that last one is too much and has to be changed. Minimun is to remove the mega somewhere else.

Why have i done it?
    As a railgun-sniper at the top of the crates, you cant easy aim, because you have to look straight down. And your opponents can kick you away by pressing the button or firing at the blue flare. But unlike to the q3tourney6-trap your still alive and have your weapons plus powerups. That might make the map unbalanced.

Other things I wil change after viewing your video:
    Remove the yellow armor to the place you proposed
    Decals for weapon-spawns

@pikaluva13
    I know that ql-maps live from their huge dimensions (i like this too). The reason might be that you always can have a great distance between yourself and your opponents -->that rises the suspense: find, fight, run away, change location, new attempt. But this is my first ql-map and i've decided to make the projekt no so big. I also like to break conventions and try something new.

Senior Member cityy is on a distinguished road
    I thought the scale was fine. It is a good mix of open and tight areas giving each weapon on the map its purpose. You don't have that on many space floaters.

+ Reply to Thread