+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help for a T3-T4-T3-T4-T3-T4-T3 CA player?

Member uf is an unknown quantity at this point
    to NeonEon
    Tier 4 does not exist (practically). In reality it is tier 5.
    Tier 3 matches - skillrating 50.
    Tier 5 matches - skillrating 150+.
    Very rarely do you find a t4 server with 70-100 skillrating. Your problem is unsolvable ( .

*MrSnuggles
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    It's fairly obvious that players in a T4 server are gonna be T4. MrSnuggles is talking about QLRanks' CA "Elo". QLPrism incorporates a script displaying the ratings of the players in the server. But of course you don't need QLPrism for that. Just install this :
    https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/111519/

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that script.

Another tip is to constantly watch the top players in the server. You wanna pick up on their strong points and what they do to survive. I feel like you really just gotta focus on figuring out how you can do the most damage based on how much health you have, and how you should move around the map to stay alive since those two are directly related each other in a way. The way I like to think about it is, the longer you stay alive, the more damage you can possibly do.

If I have a nice stack I feel more free to move around, and chase people with LG. If I'm really low, I just sit back and rail all day. It's a simple concept but there's lotsa times when you find yourself in places you don't belong.

*NeonEon
    Dear pikaluva13, I was not sarcastic, so dont be shy, we are all friends here! I am sure you have alot of knowledge about this game and your post count clearly indicates that you like to share. Until then, i will take your advice of training alot and will try to do my best!

uf, for now i try to belief it is solvable, as no one ever solved a problem by thinking it is not possible to do it. Maybe it will just take time.

MrSnuggles, i totally agree with what you say, but the implementation is the difficult part. It seems the strong point of a bunch of good players is that they act like a whole so that damage is spread between them and everyone dies later. But this cannot be done by trying to stay alive as an individual player. Its kind of not very intuitive.

Lorfa, i will think about posting a demo. Currently i feel like my play has so many holes that generic advice would suffice. Also, i share pikaluva13's shyness to some degree and would rather not do it at all, if i could evade it
    Last edited by NeonEon; 03-04-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Elo rating for CA is a pile of garbage, BUT you might still be able to figure out the "easy T4" matches by observation. What I mean is, you watch the players and determine who's more a T5 player and who's in a skill range comparable to yours. After some time, just looking at the match in the browser can give you a fairly good idea of how difficult it's gonna be for you. Of course, this is CA - probably the most popular gametype; depending on your preferred server location, it may or may not be an incredibly painful process to memorize all the players you should avoid. Still, it will help eventually.
    Other than that, I suggest sticking to T4 whenever you can. Can you join T4 servers when you're T3? If not, then it's best not to waste your chance when you get promoted and instead make some use of it other than getting stomped. You can spectate some decent players - just wait a few rounds to see who scores the most and then follow him - to see what they're doing; a cool little thing is to constantly imagine what you would do in a given situation, then observe the guy's reaction and compare it to yours. You can also pay much more attention to the surroundings since you're not absorbed with the actual fighting. You can watch his mouse movement when aiming with LG and try to imitate it on your gear on the fly. Really, there's many ways to make use of speccing someone if you care to do something more than just mindlessly watch the game like it's some dumb movie or whatnot.

Also super protip for T4 (any mode, really): everything happens 2x faster than in T3. You need to react 2x faster too.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    In the end there's no proper ranking for ca, whether skillrating (tiers) or qlranks (awful in ca in particular). The only way we have to know which are the truly best are tournaments, and that still is kind of flawed considering the best players don't play it but play duel and tdm instead. And that's the online side of things, because the only one that really matters is lan.

In the end what you should do is get to the point you don't care about rankings: if you want to win on a pub match you just do no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Are you saying T4 CA players are no better than T3 CA players, megaman3?

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by uf View Post
    Your problem is unsolvable ( .
    Use a handicap and quit whining. Problem solved.

Member uf is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by KaasMan View Post
    Use a handicap and quit whining. Problem solved.
    You stupid idiot? I had this problem before and I wanted to play on Tier4, not on T3 (handicap 70) or T5 (handicap 0) .

*MrSnuggles
    Although I did suggest looking at elo's before joining a match, I have to agree with the people here that it's simply not a good way of judging a person's level of skill. But honestly I think some of you guys flat out just don't like elo's on a personal level OR you guys are high up there enough to see that it doesn't matter, especially in CA. Those two reasons should be outlined and understood imo.

I'm speaking for the low T4, not for you guys who've already been at it for so long. I mean I can see exactly why elo is garbage for CA because I've been in games where some 1600 elo player was just disgustingly dominant and the 1500 player was your typical average Joe, and also a 2000 elo player who didn't necessarily look like a top tier player. For that reason I can see why elo's for CA are unreliable, but I still don't think you guys should completely rule that out if that's what someone may be thinking of suggesting.

Because when you're sitting with a server full of 1600+ elo's, the possibility of getting your ass handed to you is higher than a server full of <1200 elo's. I'm just looking at all of this in perspective. Imagine you're the fresh newbie just learning Quake. Take away all of your experience, better yet hop into a game you've never played before that has a high skill ceiling like DotA 2 or SC2 or w/e game you have any respect for and play with a group of people with a 5+ years of experience. That's the point of view I'm taking, and that's the POV that most of us mediocre players experience when entering a stacked server.

That is why we need something to give us an easy overview of how tough a server may be. I'm pretty sure some of you haven't even experienced what it's like to join a Quake server to have some fun and then get kindly told to"gtfo" because you're not good enough, it's not so fun anymore when that happens. And that's my quip on elo's.

Also, Limbless_Pony's super protip on T4 being faster is so true. The other day when I was playing, I find that dishing out my damage and then getting the hell out of there often lets me survive a bit longer, if I'm lucky enough not to run into the entire team lol. Doing things like Railing just before leaving a bad position, or clipping someone with a rail as they run is a nice way to pad your damage so you don't look so bad on the scoreboard. But of course adding extra shots like that requires more effort in your game, but soon it'll be effortless.

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by uf View Post
    You stupid idiot? I had this problem before and I wanted to play on Tier4, not on T3 (handicap 70) or T5 (handicap 0) .
    Well I'm not really stupid, just didnt expect you to want to play on tier 4.
    If you want to play on tier4, work for it. Get your config right, practice matches, watch videos, read tutorials, practice specific things like strafing, aiming, dodging with friends in empty servers. Until you are good enough to play in tier 4.
    It's either that, or tier 3 with a handicap, or t3-t4-t3-t4. Make your pick. Don't whine about it, because if you can't even handle minor things like this, you won't have a lot of success in life.
    Last edited by KaasMan; 03-04-2013 at 01:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread