+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fatal Error trying to run QL in Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 x64

*x1138

Exclamation Fatal Error trying to run QL in Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 x64

Says an instance of Quake Live is already running.

Senior Member realgumby is on a distinguished road
    Seems to be a common problem at the moment. Hope they fix it.

Support Sasparillo is on a distinguished road Sasparillo's Avatar
    Internet Explorer 10 is not currently supported in Quake Live. We do not know if or when it will become supported in the future.

Junior Member NZ_Blade is on a distinguished road
    I'm sorry what do you mean "IF"? Surely an entire Operating System isn't going to be neglected? Windows 8 runs IE-10 out of the box?

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ_Blade View Post
    I'm sorry what do you mean "IF"? Surely an entire Operating System isn't going to be neglected? Windows 8 runs IE-10 out of the box?
    Then download a good browser. IE sucks.

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar
    Hi,

Traditionally, IE has only made up about <10% of our user base, with Windows 8 adoption even lower. While we don't explicitly support IE10 people have reported it working fine. Note that QUAKE LIVE will never run under Metro/Modern modes in any browser under Windows 8 due to the removal of browser plugins, they will only run on Windows 8 Pro (x86 only) on the desktop.

Junior Member NZ_Blade is on a distinguished road
    Firstly, thank you sponge for your reply.

pikaluva13, "IE sucks" isn't particularly constructive and the thread clearly highlights who the interested users would be, IE users.

Sponge, I realize Windows 8 uptake is low at present (that's a different story) and I also appreciate the need to target development resource for the masses. But I would like to help build a case FOR the continued development support of Quake-Live in IE.

Averaged global stats claim Internet Explorer users are the second highest browser base in the PC (non-mobile) world at present. Falling second only to Chrome. While this doesn't mean these are all Quake Live players it does still represent a large chunk of possible market share that could be lost should that "IF" remain.

I don't have any of your internal stats but I'm also willing to bet the majority of the Quake Live user base running a non-IE browser are not paying members? While once again that's simply speculation, it's still something I would encourage you to review.

I would also like to highlight that I am a paying member and obviously have an interest in retaining Internet Explorer, and while this thread continues to increase in views (while I type this at "156") I'm obviously not the only member with an interest in this.

I appreciate there are a number of complexities and balancing acts to be performed when running a web-based service so I won't rattle on any further but I would like to hope that maybe the Internet Explorer 10 topic gets some air time at your next Development meeting.

Thanks

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Firstly, thank you sponge for your reply.

pikaluva13, "IE sucks" isn't particularly constructive and the thread clearly highlights who the interested users would be, IE users.
    Sorry, I was a bit annoyed at other things at that time period. However, I still think IE sucks. :P

Averaged global stats claim Internet Explorer users are the second highest browser base in the PC (non-mobile) world at present. Falling second only to Chrome. While this doesn't mean these are all Quake Live players it does still represent a large chunk of possible market share that could be lost should that "IF" remain.
    He said it was less than 10%, and therefore is not that large of a percent (In terms of the browsers)
    I don't have any of your internal stats but I'm also willing to bet the majority of the Quake Live user base running a non-IE browser are not paying members? While once again that's simply speculation, it's still something I would encourage you to review.
    This wouldn't be usable information. You can assume that the majority of the overall playerbase are not subscribers, and as such, IE users would be less Standard accounts than subscriptions
    I would also like to highlight that I am a paying member and obviously have an interest in retaining Internet Explorer, and while this thread continues to increase in views (while I type this at "156") I'm obviously not the only member with an interest in this.
    Views don't mean "people that have an interest in this". I could care less about getting IE back into the "supported browsers", but I've probably viewed it about 10 times at least.

Junior Member Rawbat is on a distinguished road
    Is this not fixed yet?
    I'm a paying subscriber and IE10 has been rolled out to Windows 7 now.
    Time to fix this issue perhaps?
    There are all kinds of reasons to use IE over competitors regardless how some people should IE sux.

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawbat View Post
    Is this not fixed yet?
    I'm a paying subscriber and IE10 has been rolled out to Windows 7 now.
    Time to fix this issue perhaps?
    There are all kinds of reasons to use IE over competitors regardless how some people should IE sux.
    I've always used IE until recently, but I found the "upgrade" to IE10 for Windows 7 awful, and not just because QL didn't work. The whole thing seemed really sluggish. I'm sticking with IE9 for the time being, although I've been lured towards Chrome lately and am using it to play QL with no problems in Windows XP and 7.

+ Reply to Thread