+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Texas servers... Their quality lately is not good.

Junior Member skrillz is on a distinguished road
    Something happened recently to where I get over 100 ping in TX now, but I can get 60-70 to Chicago. What gives? I'm near Houston.

Senior Member infntnub is on a distinguished road infntnub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skrillz View Post
    Something happened recently to where I get over 100 ping in TX now, but I can get 60-70 to Chicago. What gives? I'm near Houston.
    In the realm of QuakeLive this makes complete sense and you'll be told to call your ISP.

Don't expect them to be very helpful though. :~)

Unfortunately, Texas has been an issue for many players for quite a while now and there's not a solution in sight.

I just wish I could understand why Texas, in particular, suffers so bad compared to pretty much all other North American locations. Some will say there must be more traffic on the lines down there but I can't imagine there being more there than somewhere such as DC.

Either way I'd advise you to simply ignore the location in your search results for servers. It's a shame for someone who lives in the same state as the server to have to do that but it's honestly the only real advice anyone can give you on this message board at this point in time.
    Quake 3 1.16n Noghost iFreezetag

-UE- .o2o. -g0d- n[2]p foq -end- *pWp* oBs H$ iD aM q3p {DR} *MS* uTk dT |c*|

Great Memories That Will Last A Lifetime :~)

http://www.instalounge.co.nr/

Banned NiC1CeMaNjj2j3n is on a distinguished road
    I live in Fort Worth and have AT&T got a 70 ping usually and now im way above 200 and have been for months... i got a new computer, router and plan it's definitely the server. Ever since quakecon came in our server went to **** i had a pro account since then and got most of it wasted because of this all other servers are faster, but not playable

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NiC1CeMaNjj2j3n View Post
    I live in Fort Worth and have AT&T got a 70 ping usually and now im way above 200 and have been for months... i got a new computer, router and plan it's definitely the server. Ever since quakecon came in our server went to **** i had a pro account since then and got most of it wasted because of this all other servers are faster, but not playable
    Yet you offer no evidence such as traceroutes.

By "plan" do you mean ISP? What type of connect do you have?

Senior Member Chibers will become famous soon enough Chibers's Avatar
    I feel your pain. I live about four hours from Indy and ping ~92 to those servers.
    #TATW
    It's more fun when you're mellow

Senior Member infntnub is on a distinguished road infntnub's Avatar
    Texas may as well be located in Europe, lol.

:~p
    Quake 3 1.16n Noghost iFreezetag

-UE- .o2o. -g0d- n[2]p foq -end- *pWp* oBs H$ iD aM q3p {DR} *MS* uTk dT |c*|

Great Memories That Will Last A Lifetime :~)

http://www.instalounge.co.nr/

Senior Member theMolester is on a distinguished road theMolester's Avatar
    For me they actually got better. I was getting an 80+ ping for about a year, and now I get 50. Still not the 12-14 ping I got for 10+ years before it went to 80+ (Q3 & QL).

Chicago servers, on the other hand, got worse at the same time Dallas got better. I went from a 50 ping there, to 100.

Thankfully, I do get the same ping to Frankfurt.
    Friend all SPAWN members to receive invites to Premium servers!! Click to learn SpaceCTF

Senior Member d3phx is on a distinguished road
    My pings to IL, DC, TX, and VA have all changed more times than I care to enumerate in just the past few weeks. TX was 43 for a long time before it spiked to 90 for about a month, and now it's 50. VA was 43 for as long as I can remember. About 3 weeks ago my ping jumped to 50, then 60, and now it's between 70 and 80, and changes every single day. My ping to DC has never been any lower than 70 until a few weeks ago, and now it's 48-50. Last, but not least, IL servers... My ping to IL has always been 48 and unchanging, just like my ping to VA was 43. Now it's 80-90, day in, day out. DC is twice as far away from me, if not more, than IL. How is it that my ping is twice as high to IL over half the distance?

Furthermore, what has changed in Quakelive's networking that is causing these problems? It hasn't affected any other game I play. What gives?

The obvious answer anyone will give to my post is going to be "So play in TX and DC." The problem with that is nobody ever plays in those servers because everyone is playing in IL and VA. TX servers begin to populate in the early afternoon, and they tend to die off after just a couple of hours, and DC is about as useless a server location as IN. Nobody plays in them, and nobody wants to if you host a server.

It becomes increasingly difficult to warrant paying for quake subscriptions when one's connection to a server is a coin flip on any given day. And I've just about completely given up on trying to refer people to quakelive from other games.
    Last edited by d3phx; 06-28-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Senior Member realgumby is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    Hosting has not changed. Well, the IP are the same so it's gotta be on the same hosting company. So it could theoretically be a cheaper offer from the same host but there's no such thing as offers providing better (or worse) routing over another. Basically, all the server providers can do about the routing is choosing a different ISP (connected to maybe a different backbone)... just like us. It would be cool if end nodes like us (clients) and id (servers) could control routing though. Would be like if harbours could control the ocean currents.

It seems I saw an ad for a company that does exactly what your talking about. What they do is give you the shortest routes to the game servers by providing a carrier route to it. I believe you log in through them and it goes from there.

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    The Texas server has not been in Dallas for over a year.

Can you say San Antonio?

http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/69.174.243.25
    Last edited by swampy; 06-28-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

+ Reply to Thread