+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Texas servers... Their quality lately is not good.

Senior Member CeeLoGreen is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by realgumby View Post
    It seems I saw an ad for a company that does exactly what your talking about. What they do is give you the shortest routes to the game servers by providing a carrier route to it. I believe you log in through them and it goes from there.
    Impossible. No ISP or party can dictate which direction data flows outside it's own system.

I work for my internet provider. We can design our plant to push data from the client in any direction we create. But once the packets leave our plant, we have no control over the path it takes.

If you wish to to communicate with a computer that lies within my plant.... Once you reach my ISP, you will take the path I made for you. Literally, I actually run the fiber, and coax lines...

Ask yourself this. How many ISP's does your data go through to wind up at a quake server?

No 3rd party can dictate the path data flows.
    Last edited by CeeLoGreen; 07-03-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeLoGreen View Post
    Impossible. No ISP or party can dictate which direction data flows outside it's own system.

I work for my internet provider. We can design our plant to push data from the client in any direction we create. But once the packets leave our plant, we have no control over the path it takes.

If you wish to to communicate with a computer that lies within my plant.... Once you reach my ISP, you will take the path I made for you. Literally, I actually run the fiber, and coax lines...

Ask yourself this. How many ISP's does your data go through to wind up at a quake server?

No 3rd party can dictate the path data flows.
    He's obviously talking about a VPN, such as wtfast.com

Although in that case it is:

Computer -> ISP -> Various Hops -> VPN -> Various Hops -> Server

Instead of Computer -> ISP -> Various Hops -> Server

However in cases where you ping low to the VPN, their network often pings much better to the server.

For example I'm 55 ms on LA (I'm in Arizona) but I ping ~20 to an LA VPN and it's like 2 ms to to the LA QL server from there.

Sadly I ping about the same to the QL servers as I do to the rest of the VPNs, so I was only able to have a gain on one server, and this is not enough to justify its monthly fee :-/

Sure you can find a short cut to the Mobil station. But that's no good if you like to buy Exxon gas.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Sure you can find a short cut to the Mobil station. But that's no good if you like to buy Exxon gas.
    I don't see how this analogy applies. Only talking about one entity here: good ping times to QL servers.

http://www.wisc-online.com/Objects/V...aspx?ID=CIS402

Please look at Page 8 of 12 : /

NO ISP OR THIRD PARTY CAN DICTATE HOW A ROUTE IS CHOSEN>

FACT!

Esp during peak hours, when data is sent, many things determine a path that your packets will flow.

Sometimes your path will be clean, sometimes it won't. Even my own net was pinging 80 2 nights ago to Dallas, at 6pm. Ironic that at 9pm it went back to 20 as normal, off peak hours. Was a switch down, and data rerouted? Were the nodes laser clipping because the pathways were congested with data? Who knows. But the route changed, and there was nothing that could be done about it.

VPN servers are subject to change in routes as well. "Priority" is a sales pitch term. When my Nodes go down, you will get rerouted to a different Node. Period, end of story. And it is no different for any other Node/Hop/ ISP out there....

By all means please check out the forums at WTFAST.
    http://forum.wtfast.com/

Note that the most popular thread is the complaint thread about people asking WTFast to change server paths because of high ping times
    Last edited by CeeLoGreen; 07-04-2013 at 10:06 PM.

NO ISP OR THIRD PARTY CAN DICTATE HOW A ROUTE IS CHOSEN>

FACT!
    That's exactly what you do with a VPN though, otherwise there would be no reason for it.

You aren't changing your own routing to the VPN server, nor are you changing the routing used by the VPN.

However going through a VPN _is_ changing the route that would otherwise be determined by the ISP to a given server, assuming this VPN isn't at a hop in the ISP's route already.

[QUOTE=Lorfa;267703]

You aren't changing your own routing to the VPN server, nor are you changing the routing used by the VPN.

Thus you can not control the packet flow to any server you wish to hit.
    But if it makes you happy, and proves me wrong, by telling people the fastest way to get from point A to point B, is to ASK to go to point C first.... Then go right ahead.

The only thing your doing is ASKING going to an alternative location before you reach your final destination. You still have no control over the pathways the routers are going to take.
    And as the webpage forums show. It does more harm than good. Beginning with taking money out of your pocket.

Thus you can not control the packet flow to any server you wish to hit.
    But you are, otherwise ping could not be reduced.

But if it makes you happy, and proves me wrong, by telling people the fastest way to get from point A to point B, is to ASK to go to point C first.... Then go right ahead.
    This analogy is incorrect since you do not have a direct shot.

Also it could very well be a case where your ISP is using more hops.

For example your normal routing has 6 hops which results in ping x.

Your VPN routing has 3 hops to the VPN, then the VPN has one hop to the game server which results in ping y.

Ping y < ping x and has fewer hops.

The only thing your doing is ASKING going to an alternative location before you reach your final destination. You still have no control over the pathways the routers are going to take.
    You only have the control to ask it to use the routing of the VPN or use the standard routing. You don't actually control any routing directly.

And as the webpage forums show. It does more harm than good. Beginning with taking money out of your pocket.
    You do know that people usually go to site forums to report problems and complain right? When something is working people don't usually go "hey this is working great! thanks guys! I just registered on this forum to say that!".

Like I said, I personally can get 20 ms on LA as opposed to my normal 55 ms. Don't believe me? I can prove it.

I know a lot of other players that experience reduced pings using VPNs as well. In fact you can even try it for yourself, wtfast is free to try for a bit which is great because you don't know what you're getting until you test it.

Nice to see you stumbled across a cleaner path in your search for a better ping through a 3rd party.

But the ultimate point is " You, nor that 3rd party CHOSE THAT PATH to that server" It just so happens that's where the internet police "ROUTERS" CHOSE FOR YOU.

You said yourself " You aren't changing your own routing to the VPN server, nor are you changing the routing used by the VPN " BECAUSE IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO DICTATE DATA DIRECTIONS!!!!!!! What do you not get about this simple statement?

But you can twist words around all day long. The simple fact of the matter lies within your own quote. You have no control over it. You just happened to stumble across a cleaner path to a single server. Kudos!

I'm done here. Happy route searching.
    Last edited by CeeLoGreen; 07-05-2013 at 08:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread