+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Site Update - February 26, 2013

Junior Member FlankinYouUp is on a distinguished road
    How about the inconvenience that I paid for this game yet it's kicking me every 25 seconds if I don't press a key? How about that this same new idle kick timer is also bugged? How hard is it to get this stuff right? Seriously do you guys even test the game for more than a minute before you roll it out?

If you join a game after it's already started and the round that's going on lasts longer than 25 seconds you will be kicked before you can even spawn one time... I waited nearly 10 minutes just to join the game because it was full, then when I joined I got kicked because the round went on for too long... I then rejoined and of course the spot was taken and the game was full again.

You could maybe see how this could be a problem? Why does it seem like all the updates over the last year have been aimed to try and kill this game off? If you don't want to continue running the servers then just end it. Stop dragging out customers who have been playing your game for over 14 years. I bought Quake III Arena several times due to losing the disc and such and also bought team arena and the pack with quake 1 and 2 at one point. I also re-purchased them because I wanted to support you guys. So when I bought my premium memberships I assumed that you guys would be updating the game for the **better**. Please don't think I'm just complaining and see that your player base is upset with the way things are going and there needs to be a change. I would be very surprised to find out that your premium numbers contradict what I'm saying.

Please don't say we should provide more feedback or anything. These bad changes lately just seem obviously bad. Let's just get things going in the right direction please? Or shutdown the servers.

Edit: Also from a programming stand-point. This bug with the idle kick timer being in place when a person joins a game in progress is VERY obvious and should have easily been thought of when this change was being implemented.

I know you are obviously getting complaints about people going idle during games for prolonged periods of time but this is clearly not the answer for this problem... How about if players get an average score per round of less than 1 after 2 consecutive rounds they are kicked? After all we know the real problem is people going to servers and trying to get deaths to cheat your tier system into knocking them down again and again. This will combat both idle players and those doing this.
    Last edited by FlankinYouUp; 02-27-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlankinYouUp View Post
    If you join a game after it's already started and the round that's going on lasts longer than 25 seconds you will be kicked before you can even spawn one time...
    Nice catch.

How hard is it to get this stuff right? Seriously do you guys even test the game for more than a minute before you roll it out?
    Probably pretty hard. You know, that stuff happens in every single software project. It's not only in QL. And in a game's case, it's not a matter you can help by programming a ton of tests. It has to be tested in actual gameplay... and the possibilities in there are endless. If you can think of every single error possibility then you are a super-human and you should definitely apply at id for the good of all the community. Please.

It's not super-human to assume that if you implement a piece of code that will kick a player after not entering input after 25 seconds in round based games that when a person joins a game in progress it will kick them before they can spawn if the rounds longer than that time. That is what we call common sense. It was right in front of them. A giant bug waiting to happen from a new feature that nobody will EVER see as a feature and anyone that has played this game for more than an hour could tell you NOT to do it.

EDIT:
    according to SyncError it's "Fixed for the next release."

Oh yay, is that next week? ... don't think I'll be repurchasing premium next time mine expires.
    Last edited by FlankinYouUp; 02-27-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Senior Member intheway will become famous soon enough intheway's Avatar
    Until it's fixed, will tapping a key occasionally or jiggling your mouse qualify as input?
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    Then it hits me.

No input is detected while you are dead. So no. The only thing you can do is not join until the round is almost finished.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Oh yay, is that next week? ... don't think I'll be repurchasing premium next time mine expires.
    That's your choice as a customer. The update should be tomorrow or tonight though as they said something else would be fixed tomorrow.

No input is detected while you are dead. So no. The only thing you can do is not join until the round is almost finished.
    Actually, you could chat and it should work. Unless that changed since how it was done before (as you could get kicked while you were dead if you didn't do anything)... Jiggling the mouse wouldn't work though.
    Last edited by FlashSoul; 02-27-2013 at 08:47 PM.

I did not try chatting ever. But yeah the bug existed already in another form, at least the only bug close to this that I'm assuming you're talking about is when you have been idle for say 130 seconds and the idle kick timer was set to 150 seconds. You then die and the round lasts for that last 20 seconds, then you will be kicked while you are dead and moving the mouse and pressing wasd or any keys didn't count as input. But again, I never did try chatting, so maybe that does work.

I actually can't get this to happen anymore. So maybe they fixed it? I don't know..

Yeah I just tried and I can't get it to work. Maybe you were just spawned already and you didn't notice. Or there are some very specific conditions to make it work...

Seems to be specific conditions because it's still happening, just not every time.

+ Reply to Thread