+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Shameless Solicitation of Analysis

Senior Member CPTcman is on a distinguished road
    Lowered my accel to 0.1, and it feels fine - honestly not too different than 1 since my cap is high, but definitely a bit more controlled with fast 180's and rocket jumps. Thanks

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CPTcman View Post
    "There are some defaults/ineffectuals you could take out if interested."

Which ones?? I thought I got them all
    Defaults:

seta cg_autoswitch "0"
    seta cg_crosshairBrightness "1.0"
    seta cg_crosshairColor "25"
    seta cg_crosshairHitTime "200"
    seta cg_crosshairHitStyle "2"
    seta cg_drawCrosshairNames "1"
    seta cg_drawCrosshairNamesOpacity "0.75"
    seta cg_drawCrosshairTeamHealth "2"
    seta cg_drawTeamOverlayOpacity "0.75"
    seta cg_forceEnemyModel "keel/bright"
    seta cg_forceDrawCrosshair "0"
    seta cg_gunX "0"
    seta cg_gunZ "0"
    seta cg_itemFx "7"
    seta cg_placebo "0.0100"
    seta cg_plasmaStyle "1"
    seta cg_simpleItemsRadius "15"
    seta cg_smokeRadius_dust "24"
    seta cg_smokeRadius_flight "8"
    seta cg_smokeRadius_haste "8"
    seta cg_switchToEmpty "0"
    seta cg_weaponColor_grenade "0x007000FF" // I like 0xFFFFFFFF personally
    seta cl_mouseAccelPower "2"
    seta cl_viewAccel "1.7" // Pertains to gamepad or joystick I'm pretty sure
    seta com_maxfps "125"
    seta in_mouse "2"
    seta m_filter "0"
    seta m_yaw "0.022"
    seta m_forward "0.25" // Pertains to cg_freelook 0 that no one uses
    seta m_side "0.25" // Pertains to cg_freelook 0 that no one uses
    seta r_BloomBrightThreshold "0.25"
    seta r_BloomPasses "1"
    seta r_drawskyfloor "1"
    seta r_enablePostProcess "1.000000"
    seta r_gl_reserved "1"
    seta r_texturebits "32"
    seta s_doppler "0"

Ineffectuals:

seta cg_enemyColor ""
    seta cg_smoothClients "0.5"
    seta r_bloomActive "1" // Read-only, just reflects the status of bloom
    seta r_colorCorrectActive "1" // Read-only, just reflects the status of colorcorrect
    seta r_postProcessActive "1" // Read-only, status of bloom post processing

seta r_BloomBlurRadius "5" // As far as I know the bloomblurs are ineffectual
    seta r_BloomBlurFalloff "0.75" //
    seta r_BloomBlurScale "1.0" //

seta r_detailtextures "1"
    seta team_model "james/red" // This is handled by forceTeamModel

Non-existent:

seta cl_mouseAccelStyle "0"

Note:

You can remove cg_kickscale if cg_screenDamage is set to 0 (which it is in this case), since screendamage 0 removes the effect of kickscale.

Also I noticed that you have 'r' bound to reconnect. I personally would never bind a key to disconnect, connect, or reconnect. At one point binding such a thing was against CPL rules since it would really create a mess if someone disconnected by accident during the game.

Accidents do happen, and you'd be surprised how often you end up hitting a key by accident even if it's far away from your movement keys.

"The other thing is that you have a rather unusual movement key config."

- I do indeed. This is the way I learned to play Q1, and there's no changing it.
    A lot of people tell me this kind of thing and I don't believe them :-)

That's like saying that if all you've ever used is an automatic shifter on a car, you could never learn to drive stick, or if you moved to Britain and had to drive a British car where the steering wheel is on the other side, you could never ever get used to that. The truth is that you certainly can, even if you've been doing it the other way for decades.

I get it that people don't want to change their movement keys due to ingrained habits, but really I would jump at the chance for such a big adjustment if I thought it would help me. I switched from asd mouse2 to wasd at one point. It took some getting used to but it wasn't devastating or anything. Partly because I could temporarily play with both w and mouse2 set to forward and undergo a slow transition.

I've tried WASD, with pathetic results.
    Wasd would probably be too big of a jump. I would never tell you to use it. I have seen some similar controls to yours that have worked at the highest level, and they are:

asd mouse2 , where a and d are strafes, s is back and m2 is forward. This can be anywhere on the keyboard. Although the majority of players jump with space, so they tend not to go too far to the right side so that the thumb can still rest comfortably on space.

sd, space, mouse2, where s and d are strafes, space is back, mouse2 forward. Players who do this jump with the pinky. Again can be moved about the keyboard to anywhere comfortable. While this setup seems a bit crazy to me, it has been proven to work.

To make matters worse, as you pointed out, I am right handed. This makes it somewhat awkward, especially with a laptop as I am currently using. / is my zoom key I use my pinky for +speed...
    Wait what? You have your left hand on the keyboard? For this setup that is.. insane. You cannot zoom and hit back at the same time even.

Jumping with the pinky is.. controversial although some players use it quite well. I assume you're doing this because on most keyboards you'd have to tuck your thumb behind the index finger to hit space if your middle and ring fingers rested on ,.

What's wrong with thumb for jump? You could in that case move this config over to the asd area.

The thing that's really strange though is why you have the back key 'skipped' over one. Like why not use / for back?

Quote Originally Posted by CPTcman View Post
    Here's a demo of some 2v2 practice on Thunderstruck using the new config
    Bots! If you're going to play vs. bots do:

bot_challenge "1"
    bot_thinkTime "0"

addbot <botname> 5

That way they will at least dodge somewhat :-P

Senior Member CPTcman is on a distinguished road
    "asd mouse2 , where a and d are strafes, s is back and m2 is forward. This can be anywhere on the keyboard. Although the majority of players jump with space, so they tend not to go too far to the right side so that the thumb can still rest comfortably on space."

-This actually makes sense...it wouldn't mess with my finger positioning too much. I really need to use my pinky to jump (oddly enough I don't use my thumb for anything now that I think about it!), so I might put that on shift, and zoom on space (btw, I never saw the need to zoom and back up simultaneously, don't ask me why). The main drawback IMO to my current setup (especially with a laptop) is that in order to be comfortable, I have to have the screen slightly left of my field of vision. Not an issue when I can move the keyboard around on my desktop, but definitely annoying otherwise. I don't really know why my brother and I started playing this way - just one of those things that we just stuck with because it worked.

"bot_challenge "1"
    bot_thinkTime "0"

addbot <botname> 5

That way they will at least dodge somewhat :-P"

-What? Bots dodge???? I never even tried this till now! Much better! Why is this a "cheat"? Why not make the nightmare bots do this automatically??

-Thanks for the list of defaults/innefectuals! I'm off to edit

-Cheers

+ Reply to Thread