+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Restricting the Player's View?

Senior Member MexicanPadre is on a distinguished road

Restricting the Player's View?

I want to restrict the distance the player can see in my map but I don't want to use fog because of the performance issues it comes with. Is that my only choice or is there some other way I can do it? (other than adding more walls)

Senior Member cityy is on a distinguished road
    Hey,
    if you mean something like geometry disappearing in the distance (like in the GTA games for instance) that's not possible in QL.
    The only ways to break long lines of sight are indeed walls or doors.

Edit: Sometimes rethinking the shape of your layout helps too, adding in some 45 degrees paths or u-turns for instance.

What I mean is, you know how when you fall into pits you can't see very far because the fog is thick? I want to do that, but the fog has a lot of performance issues. There is no other way around using fog to produce a similar effect i presume?

Oh, yes there is, use a light entity and give it a negative value. If you want to simulate something like a very deep tube or something like that there is a shader you can use to make a surface appear entirely black (also there wont be projectile impacts on the surface). I think it is sfx/black; not sure from the top of my head though. Use it on the very distant end of your tube/tunnel/hole.

Although that still isn't what I'm looking for, I appreciate you trying to help out. I'll just use the fog. Using a negative light value just makes everything dark.

So you have a lot of open space and just want to block the players view into the distance? If so fog is indeed the only way to do that.

+ Reply to Thread