+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About Skill Matching

*Prominence

About Skill Matching

can someone explain to me something please.
    the "Skill Matching" games should be green yeah?
    WHY DOES IT TELL ME SKILL MATCHED WHEN I ALWAYS END UP KILLED WITH 3 FRAGS AND THE LEADER MAKES 50.
    WHAT SKILL MATCHING IS THAT!!
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 02-21-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    This is Quake. Expect to lose a lot, regardless of "SkillMatching". Talking about that, it's not strict "SkillMatching" like you may see in some other games. You are not assigned to a server, you choose one in your skill range and this range is pretty wide.
    Anyway, if you perform too badly you may end up being move down to Tier 2. If you happen to improve you'll eventually end up on Tier 4 where you will suffer greatly until you drastically improve.

Keep Dwarf Fortress' motto in mind here : "Losing is fun!"
    Good luck.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Skill-matching problems in a nutshell:

- little playerbase
    Separating people into 4 tiers is just not enough to always provide real skillmatched games.

- ranking system itself
    Since nobody knows exact details, everything you read about it is properly made up. However, it's not working 100% correctly. Many people feel they are ranked too high or too low.

- the required skills spread too broadly
    Meaning that even small gaps in skill lead to devastating losses. But always keep in mind that even pro player games might end up with 17:-1. It's in the nature of the game.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member MajkiFajki is on a distinguished road
    Other problems are "tier-slummers" - guy who plays Quake for years, register new accounts all the time and join just to beat the crap out of you :]

Also - Skillsystem prolly needs more players. But QL won't get ones.

From which FPS game you came? I mean what FPS games you played before (I talk about multiplayer ofc)?

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Actually, I might suggest 3 tiers, not 4
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Actually, I might suggest 3 tiers, not 4.
    Yep, everytime I got crushed (frequently... ok, almost always), I remember dkt vs zero4 on hektik (epic comeback) or k1llsen vs avekkk on tox (30+/3) Sometimes it even helps.
    sry, pls delete my 1st post.

*MrSnuggles
    And the reality is that when you get your debut into Tier 4 there will be even more suffering to be had. If you're lucky you'll get into games where everyone is relatively a little bit better than you. Or you might be extremely unlucky and walk in to a room full of seasoned and active vets with 1 or 2 super high tier players. Of course this only applies to team games, I can only imagine how hard the stompage must be in duels.

As for my own experience with different tiers, you pretty much got to learn how to enjoy playing with these people. Sometimes the only difference between them and you is that they can hit 2 - 3 more rails or have 5% more LG accuracy a round than you, and they move better because they have more experience. So it's not impossible to get to that point one day, you just got to keep playing and have fun rather then getting frustrated.

Senior Member Asuka_ is on a distinguished road Asuka_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vurun View Post
    Actually, I might suggest 3 tiers, not 4.
    That's a good idea actually to get the playerbase together but then there will be a lot of guys raging (and maybe leaving) just like the op.
    Quake Live
    Asuka
    My Youtube

Well, more players in top tier = more low skilled players in top tier. I think that's what he wants. I think it would be good to get rid of tiers, but I'm T4 in CA & FFA, so I won't get any harder game than I am having now. Others may have another opinion. But tier discussion gives a very negative aura every time it's being started.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by vurun View Post
    I think it would be good to get rid of tiers
    Nooo, that's suicidal. Check unrestricted servers when they're available - while Samplers aren't as apparent an example as DevPicks once were, the matches where everyone can and does join tend to be a disaster more often than not. The skill gap is just too large.

That being said, merging T1 and T2 wouldn't be that bad... there's little impact on gameplay even if the lowbie server gets someone who figured that holding +forward 100% of the time isn't optimal.

+ Reply to Thread