+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Paris Server Decommissioned; Rotterdam and Buenos Aires Added

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Bandwidth requirements?
    You know those better than me :) I guess no single server can serve enough players to saturate a 100 Mbps link, but maybe you're asking about monthly bandwidth. That will depend on play time the server will see, so it's a trick question, right? :)

Junior Member Aceborne is on a distinguished road
    Please try to get a server in the Costa Rica-Panama-Colombia region. Between us and Central America, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru and the Caribbean we are a lot of players. The lowest ping I've ever had was 98 ms and I don't even know how cause regularly is 120-150 ms. Everywhere I play, people complaint about my ping.

For some reason, Chilean/Argentinean servers give me a lot more ping than others with the same distance (200-250 ms, while US servers give me 120-130 ms); it feels like European servers which are unplayable for me (although I find German servers playable for some reason). There's a vacuum between U.S. (or Mexico, I don't remember if they have servers) and Chile/Argentina.

Get a server in Panama or Colombia! I beg you.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceborne View Post
    Please try to get a server in the Costa Rica-Panama-Colombia region. Between us and Central America, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru and the Caribbean we are a lot of players. The lowest ping I've ever had was 98 ms and I don't even know how cause regularly is 120-150 ms. Everywhere I play, people complaint about my ping.

For some reason, Chilean/Argentinean servers give me a lot more ping than others with the same distance (200-250 ms, while US servers give me 120-130 ms); it feels like European servers which are unplayable for me (although I find German servers playable for some reason). There's a vacuum between U.S. (or Mexico, I don't remember if they have servers) and Chile/Argentina.

Get a server in Panama or Colombia! I beg you.
    Servers here are provided by the community. Same in all other regions (that aren't NA) and most european servers.

With that said, that region is on the exact same situation Brazil has been for years: you have to reach id software with a proposal, meeting all the requirements (bandwidth, pc and so on. Remember on each location it's like 50 servers uploaded at the same time), willing to pay for all expenses, having some people responsible for that, the lot. They have not done that in 4 years but the only thing they do is complain and think someone is going to give them away money for free, when it has never ever done in quake (all the old school servers were community uploaded, not id) nor in fps games really.

So yeah. It has nothing to do with begging or asking id to upload servers. That initiative has to come from the community, like it has always been but with the added requirement of reaching the company in order to make those servers appear on the server browser.
    For that what's needed is a community behind that in each location. If there are no proposals that means there's not a worthy community there but just a vocal minority that's spread all over the place (at least create fb groups).

edit: Here are two sites that show the amount of players of each country based on the in-game flags
    http://qlranks.com/duel/
    http://qlranks.com/duel/country/PA
    First link (top100) shows all players from each country no matter if they have played duel or not. Second link shows the amount of players of countries that aren't listed in the top100 but has to be done manually (change the last 2 letters of the link, for example PR is puerto rico) and is mod specific, so it shows 41 players in panama and 43 in ca, again by changing the mod on the link ("duel" to "ca").
    As you can see on both links, there are way too few players on your region, all countries included and even considering inactive players. This last bit is of the essence considering I checked the players from panama on the second link, duel only: Out of the 41 listed there I checked the top20 and there's literally one (1) player still playing the game rofl, casually the top1. Tough luck, but probably can still get a server accepted if someone there is willing to finance a server on his own like practically all not NA servers are.

More concretely, Chile and Argentina have servers because they pay for them, did all the necessary arrangements and have 10x more players than all the rest of southamerica combined, not counting brazil which does have the amount of players but have been lazy for 4 years straight and counting. The only thing they ever do is complaining and demanding free stuff no one gets in the world lol.
    Last edited by megaman3; 02-27-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Junior Member nico62 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gurvan View Post
    There's no point in complaining about the servers changing when it's completely out of your control.
    Actually, it's the only case when you can't do anything but complain. When you've got some control over an issue, you don't complain, you fix it.

About the ping issue, you HPB must understand something. When you play a game @12ms with friends, it's more like playing on LAN than on the internet. Most of us played with this ping for years, we're used to it. Suddenly having to play @40ms or more is a different game, it's probably still enjoyable but not when you're used to LAN.
    Some of you may have played quake world back in the 90s @ 350ms ? It was fun, could you play it today, used to 60ms like you are ? Probably not...

Id does not want to make the effort to host servers in France, Ok. That's just a big regression, a bad signal sent to the community. At least in France, QL is going down. Which is the next country with a "too much expensive" server host in the list ?
    +1 Entièrement d'accord avec toi!!

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar
    The new Argentina location is a paid location. For the record, we looked into, and certainly would like to provide one for Brazilian players, however dedicated servers are extremely expensive in that region compared to what we found in neighboring countries and the rest of the world.

Junior Member spirit_of_error is on a distinguished road spirit_of_error's Avatar
    Thanks again sponge.. C;

Junior Member Aceborne is on a distinguished road
    Thank you very much for your reply Megaman3, that was enlightening; I thought Id arranged for the servers itself. I guess we are screw over here 'cause I know nothing about running a server and even if I could, my girlfriend would nailed my nuts to the wall if she finds out what it is for :S.

In that case, people please don't ask me to leave because of my ping anymore; since I can't do nothing about it, it would be the same as asking me not to play Quake Live altogether. Besides, is not that bad, if I can play, so should you, right?

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceborne View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply Megaman3, that was enlightening; I thought Id arranged for the servers itself. I guess we are screw over here 'cause I know nothing about running a server and even if I could, my girlfriend would nailed my nuts to the wall if she finds out what it is for :S.
    Well they do pay for most of the servers themselves; just not where it's not economically viable to do so. There's also something very beautiful we learned in sponge's last post : Argentina's playerbase has evolved enough to make it profitable to have a server there. Erm... or maybe the server costs went down, which isn't impossible in countries in development. Or maybe id is running them at a loss to satisfy the playerbase at the expense of Quake Live's viability but I wouldn't bet on that. Anyway, it means there's a hope for smaller populations to grow into something a business can build a partnership with and this is good news.

Also, there's no way your girlfriend wouldn't find out about a hole of several thousands dollars in your yearly budget so you better forget that .

Finally, I have something to say about this topic and the kind of comments we find in these kinds of topics :
    It's fine to complain about your favourite location disappearing. It's fine to tell that whichever replacement location proposed doesn't suit you well. But the whole "Omg I have 20 more ping now" or "id software is now dead to me" is getting old. On the other hand, "Omg stop complaining about servers" is annoying too. Such complaints can be valuable information. Just make sure you're respectful, people... a lot seem to have problems with that and it's sad.

Junior Member spirit_of_error is on a distinguished road spirit_of_error's Avatar
    Update: Argentina Location Paid but Laggy... :/ :\

Junior Member Shardik is on a distinguished road
    I am French. I like QL but its my last pro account. Now only .de server with ping playable. No more :/

+ Reply to Thread