+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spectators negatively affect connection for players?

Senior Member CPTcman is on a distinguished road

Spectators negatively affect connection for players?

This may be a dumb question, but can spectators negatively affect the players' ping? I was spec'ing an awesome duel and was asked to leave; the reason given was that I was causing connection problems. At no time did I attempt to join the game.

-Thanks

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Doubtfully. The guy probably just didn't want you to watch, but assumed you'd leave if he said you were negatively affecting his performance.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    No. You cannot affect the connection of others even as a player. Well, there's a little more information to send to other clients (especially if you play) but if they have a problem with such a ridiculous thing, you're really not the one to blame.

Well if the server is at its limits that little extra could have an effect but to do that you need some insane settings like stupid nailgun rebounds and other stuff nobody uses. There would also be the possibility that the server's connection is used so much that one more client connecting could affect the overall quality but that does not happen in practice.
    Last edited by FlashSoul; 02-17-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Senior Member CPTcman is on a distinguished road
    Thanks guys, I'm a little ignorant when it comes to how this game routes information.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    It's completely Client-Server. There is no communication directly between clients. You can search for "Q3 networking" for more information... it should be pretty similar to QL.

Senior Member insect is on a distinguished road insect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CPTcman View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but can spectators negatively affect the players' ping? I was spec'ing an awesome duel and was asked to leave; the reason given was that I was causing connection problems. At no time did I attempt to join the game.

-Thanks
    Every player or spectator takes one slot, so spectators limit the number of players in game.
    If the server is poor quality, too many spectators might cause lagging (but it's in extreme cases 20-24 players or more).

If you want to watch good duels, there's always qlranks-tv
    And as it is Sunday - faceit-tv

Senior Member pwnstar is on a distinguished road pwnstar's Avatar
    A known cheater once claimed spectators made his framerate unstable but no, you cant affect the other players.

Now if they could just fix that spiking issue when people join or leave...

+ Reply to Thread