+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Opinion question, answer even if you don't have a clue.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MajkiFajki View Post
    Too bad rest of the world disagree Quake stopped years ago, while genre moved on.
    I don't quite see how Quake can adapt actually staying Quake at the same time. It's very orthodox, pardon me for saying so. QL has headshots - so who is really using them? Someone proposed to remove strafejumping - he was immediately called "heretic" and burned to ashes.
    I am afraid, the only way to revive this game is to create a nice advertisment that will seduce new gamers to play "good, old fashioned, classical, unique, adrenaline dripping, etc" father of all FPS. And this, IMHO, will never happen. So I think we will have some more time to play QL, and after that, hopefully there will be some copies of Q3 left on the planet so we could play.

Not making this a complete offtopic, I would say that Q is not popular due to outdated graphics and tough gameplay (hard-to-master mechanics & many veterans).
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Just wait for 2GD's Reborn before jumping ship. If that game ends up sucking the competitive FPS genre is pretty much dead.

Senior Member CPTcman is on a distinguished road
    It would be interesting to see statistics comparing total number of QL and CoD players worldwide as well as monthly % increases or drops over the years compared to CoD. Also interesting would be to compare the longevity of the games, i.e. how long the average player sticks with each game. I first played Quake sometime in late '96 and played it continuously through Q3A before giving up video games altogether for a while. I played CoD pretty much exclusivley from 2009 until recently, when I discovered QL was alive and well...

All things must fade, but I firmly believe QL will ultimately outlast the CoD model. Maybe I'm just being hopeful.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Haven't read the thread, but imo back in the days with CS a process started that most people choose "realistic" or "reality based" shooters over arcade ones like Quake. Another thing is the game pace. Quake movement and gameplay is faster compared to most other shooters. And last but not least, Quake is not objective driven. While even CoD features gamemodes like FFA or TDM (hearsay), I assume the main selling point is getting more EXP, getting better gear, etc. Stuff you don't have in Quake. Quake is just pure deathmatch, and todays audience is looking for entertainment.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member MajkiFajki is on a distinguished road
    It's not that people are opposed to it but any kind of radical changes will take resources that don't appear to be available in QL at this time, and may never be available.
    If QL had 30 000 players in peak, resources would magically be found But it won't happen, because:

Quake is just pure deathmatch, and todays audience is looking for entertainment.
    And it won't change, because:

Someone proposed to remove strafejumping - he was immediately called "heretic" and burned to ashes.
    I mean I would NEVER trade off rocket jumps for iron sights, but some adjustments to 21st century could be done

BTW

What was the story with Quake Wars?

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Peak players on PC MW3 is about maybe 6000-10000 players on at a time. Normally when I get on it's about 2000 players.

(You can see this statistic for the current time while in the game)

Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    Peak players on PC MW3 is about maybe 6000-10000 players on at a time. Normally when I get on it's about 2000 players.

(You can see this statistic for the current time while in the game)
    That's actually less of a difference than I thought...my stats on Xbox CoD are somewhere around 400,000th out of about 30,000,000 active players. Any idea of how many total QL profiles are out there? Do you think ID has information about this, including statistics about monthly adds/deletes/inactives? If I had hard data, a graph would be easy.

So many console players as opposed to PC...it took me forever to learn how to use an Xbox controller, and now that I'm back to PC, I wonder why I even tried. Maybe that's the crux of the issue...consoles are just more accessible to more people.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CPTcman View Post
    That's actually less of a difference than I thought...my stats on Xbox CoD are somewhere around 400,000th out of about 30,000,000 active players. Any idea of how many total QL profiles are out there? Do you think ID has information about this, including statistics about monthly adds/deletes/inactives? If I had hard data, a graph would be easy.
    XBOX stats are much higher than PC because more people have it. They definitely should have the stats though.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPTcman View Post
    So many console players as opposed to PC...it took me forever to learn how to use an Xbox controller, and now that I'm back to PC, I wonder why I even tried. Maybe that's the crux of the issue...consoles are just more accessible to more people.
    MW3 used to have about 20K people online, but then died down when the DLCs started coming out, and then Blops2 as well.

+ Reply to Thread