+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Opinion question, answer even if you don't have a clue.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by zzbios View Post
    Do you think the popularity of Call Of Duty is so high because many of those players couldn't handle it on a FPS like Quake.

Quake is not easy and it's frustrating for me but I keep plugging away, but I really think many of the COD players want to own but they can't in Quake, and I been watching a few playing on a server at a community college and all they play is COD on a Xbox,

your opinions...............................
    I don't believe the 'Quake Learning Curve' has anything to do w/ the fact that the bulk of FPS players prefer COD. The market shifted rather drastically over the past 5 years based on a number of factors:

1) Technology continues to soar upward which allows game developers to make 'Graphic Rich' games that cater to a society that favors progression, not more of the same. In 2013, Quake to many looks like an outdated game (Graphics and genre wise) where people in general prefer the best games available which equates to 'Realism.' Quake is not realistic and some claim it to be 'cartoon like.'

2) Now that game developers have the ability to make 'life-like' games, the community followed suit because it was the natural progression.

3) The market switched to 'Open-Environments' that you see in military shooters like COD or BF3. Quake is a 'tournament-arena' game that was played out in the early 2000s, the market got bored and moved to 'realistic environments.'

4) ID software has made zero effort to modernize quake 3 for the ever progressing market place. If a company doesn't consistently innovate based on market conditions, their product becomes obsolete... that's what happened w/ Quake. Quake's only chance at this point is Quake 5 that is made for the market, not an extinct genre.

Look at Kodak for example... they dominated the market place for years because of 'Film based media.' They didn't switch fast enough to memory cards and lost the bulk of the market place because of it.... they didn't adapt, so they got left behind.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MexicanPadre View Post
    The only thing that is good about COD is This, but COD really isn't that bad of a game if you look at multiplayer. It's just really hyped up.
    I completely disagree. I find Zombies in CoD to be boring and a waste of time. At least in the normal multiplayer there's a point to playing a lot (leveling up yourself and your guns). In Zombies it's just the same thing every game.

I do agree that it's not bad if people actually try it though. Usually the biggest complaints are
    1) Not realistic (Which it's no supposed to be. The Campaign is completely over-the-top on purpose)
    2) Same thing as the game before (Yeah, that's only true with Infinity Ward -- Treyarch games are actually different)
    3) Community (Community isn't bad at all compared to MOBAs)

Senior Member realgumby is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by zzbios View Post
    Quake the original was probably the first real popular PC fps game, *wolfenstien* had followers and *doom* but quake was more played, then when Quake 2 came out a big time following happened and then the popularity monster Quake 3 Arena.

The top fps of old with hard core gamers was the Quake series because of Arena, then the Unreal series entered the mix and Half Life with it's team mods took a huge amount of people away from Quake and Unreal.

Then the years of the middle 2000's though 2008 lets say was a huge cluster of new games and the hard core three mentioned above fell back in popularity

Then the better console at the same time of the mass of new games came into play, and really opened up gaming to everyone so to speak, and the games changed and got easier as to competition, which is good for the money angle.

COD is the main game for competition at the moment, but Quake may somehow catch up with them, but some type of gimmick in my opinion must be added, to make competition easier for the mass of gamer's, I don't have any good ideas on that.

But like I say those nerds playing COD thought they were bad ass, and several never even heard of quake
    I think you skipped over a few things. Quake 3 was a success and ID made Quake 4 but didnt bother with multiplayer coding that was worth a crap. Also near that same time Quake Wars came out. Remember that POS. That pretty much doomed the comunity to the hard core players and split it into fractions. Its sad but true.

*zzbios
    Quake needs a inter city battle maps/map like odd old downtown area's of large cities which would keep it quake like ,and a whole team mod with nothing but those type maps, which in a way is part of the main popularity with COD, you join a team and hunt around town for your foe.

Which could also have zombies or some alien race for a *co op* mode like the original unreal had, that could and would bring a interest.

Especially with great graphics

Senior Member dji1 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by realgumby View Post
    ID made Quake 4
    nope .

making a game and licensing an engine is not the same thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvf7PUx1mY0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zFZ32ZWj2I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlWZluzBNxM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZA0cyPnA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUzi832Me2U

Senior Member MajkiFajki is on a distinguished road
    ID software has made zero effort to modernize quake 3 for the ever progressing market place. If a company doesn't consistently innovate based on market conditions, their product becomes obsolete... that's what happened w/ Quake. Quake's only chance at this point is Quake 5 that is made for the market, not an extinct genre.
    Change one texture on campgrounds, and community will come to id's HQ with axes and torches. So why they should evolve quake game? It's a deadlock alike situation here - new ppl are bored with 90's game design, and old schoolers will never allow ANY modernization of quake.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MajkiFajki View Post
    Change one texture on campgrounds, and community will come to id's HQ with axes and torches.
    I disagree. I suggested changeable map skins a while back. I would really like that as I hate having to look at the same color textures over and over again.

So why they should evolve quake game? It's a deadlock alike situation here - new ppl are bored with 90's game design, and old schoolers will never allow ANY modernization of quake.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "90's game design".

Also if by "modernization" you mean "dumbing down" until it's a cod clone then no, nobody wants that. The quake community is not opposed to change, if the change is good. Really though unless we discuss specific examples this is a pointless conversation.

Senior Member MajkiFajki is on a distinguished road
    I'm not talking about iron sights for plasma gun lol

Look at Shootmania
    Look at Xonotic (auto jumping specially)
    Look at many other weirdo-games

I suggested changeable map skins a while back. I would really like that as I hate having to look at the same color textures over and over again.
    That kills "always same environment and gameplay for everybody" rule.

Junior Member Chocolatemonk is on a distinguished road Chocolatemonk's Avatar
    quake is too much for lots and people like to play at being soliders.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MajkiFajki View Post
    I'm not talking about iron sights for plasma gun lol
    What are you suggesting? Specific examples are needed.

Look at Shootmania
    Look at Xonotic (auto jumping specially)
    Look at many other weirdo-games
    I wouldn't call those specific examples.

Shootmania really only has one weapon (except in certain spots), no armor, no items, large terrain, few configuration options, odd/slow "on the moon" type physics, and is entirely team based. I don't know why this is modern. It gets rid of a lot of good ideas instead of adding new ones imo.

As for xonotic it's a lot like quake.. or more specifically unreal. I'm sure some of its ideas would be welcome in QL. The question is what are they? I'm not sure the auto-jumping thing "fits" quake so well, but no biggie.

I don't know how to respond to "other weirdo-games".

That kills "always same environment and gameplay for everybody" rule.
    Gameplay would be identical.

Idea is that everyone would have access to the different skins and be able to choose them on the fly. It is just so that maps played over and over again don't have to burn the same putrid color scheme into your eyeballs. I mean, campgrounds is a "blue" map to me, and ztn a "red" map.

I get tired of staring at the same color over and over again, would be nice if I could play some ztn in "blue" and some campgrounds in "red". That's all. It's more of an ergonomics issue really.

+ Reply to Thread