+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion question, answer even if you don't have a clue.

Senior Member Mr_Bombadil1 is on a distinguished road
    more exposure, drop the marketing for teens, market it as the most intense skilled fps there is or ever was, market it as hard, fkn hard lol.
    crap on about its heritage, remember that quakes been around for awhile so can market to a wider age bracket.
    i really like how i've met fraggers in quakelive that are from so many previous quake versions.
    anyway so it goes on.

and definately update the sound (if possible)
    oh ffs, ok make it look real pretty (marketing for teens :P ), hang on, old people like pretty things too :P
    Last edited by Mr_Bombadil1; 02-15-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Senior Member DeeDoubleU will become famous soon enough DeeDoubleU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cANTaIM View Post
    I almost pissed myself watching this, tears running down my face. He's for real. I have a couple of people living in my house who are like this. They love Modern Warfare 2 and such... Hate QL because of what this guy goes through in the vid.
    But how can they like any FPS when they shoot the air and rage that enemy doesn't die?!
    Real life? Life is real?!

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDoubleU View Post
    But how can they like any FPS when they shoot the air and rage that enemy doesn't die?!
    Cause the games they play have something called "Hardcore Mode" where you don't need aim to kill people. You just need to luck out and have a stray bullet hit a finger.

Member Gundra is on a distinguished road Gundra's Avatar
    Stop being proud quakers. PPL play games to relax and enjoy. Of course they will play game that fits their skills, otherwise is waste of time.
    Remember. Its not all about quake, this game is still active because of oldschool (and couple newbies ) players that cant stop playing it.
    No reason for newer ones to spend years practicing before they can actually do something in game.

Senior Member MajkiFajki is on a distinguished road
    Gundra nailed it.

Quakers often overlook the way how casual players play video games. They buy decent computers and want to play good looking game for some time, then play another one. They don't need/want to spend years on one title, when 100 others is being released and Steam has Summer Sales. Also - if we talk about 30 years old guy with wife and kids, who can play for like hour daily - he want ENTERTAINMENT - not "White Power Supremacy" stuff.

Therefore FPS games have lower skill ceiling in order to adapt to that, that's all.

Truth is - carrying game through decades is not a good thing. Look at CS, Quake, etc. Big communities emerge, being anti-anything, when it comes to changes in game or its evolution in general. Why big studios should create such monsters?

Epic Games abandoned Unreal Tournament for example and went into different direction.

That's why I'm super curious how Shootmania will work

*zzbios
    Quote Originally Posted by MajkiFajki View Post
    Gundra nailed it.

Quakers often overlook the way how casual players play video games. They buy decent computers and want to play good looking game for some time, then play another one. They don't need/want to spend years on one title, when 100 others is being released and Steam has Summer Sales. Also - if we talk about 30 years old guy with wife and kids, who can play for like hour daily - he want ENTERTAINMENT - not "White Power Supremacy" stuff.

Therefore FPS games have lower skill ceiling in order to adapt to that, that's all.

Truth is - carrying game through decades is not a good thing. Look at CS, Quake, etc. Big communities emerge, being anti-anything, when it comes to changes in game or its evolution in general. Why big studios should create such monsters?

Epic Games abandoned Unreal Tournament for example and went into different direction.

That's why I'm super curious how Shootmania will work

Your right on with that statement . ........a guy or gal with a lot of day to day pressures, and limited time, doesn't want or need to play a game that kicks their ass every time they try to enjoy themselves, so in turn game companies made the games for the mass consumer not the expert or wanna be expert who has time and the motivation,a desire and natural ability.

That is why it's hard to play a game like Quake with a fun mentality, way to much skill involved even for casual play to have simple fun.

Senior Member DeeDoubleU will become famous soon enough DeeDoubleU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Cause the games they play have something called "Hardcore Mode" where you don't need aim to kill people. You just need to luck out and have a stray bullet hit a finger.
    Hmmm, I played COD4 in hardcore mode and default one with my co-workers who played for fun and even they tried to shoot at least in the general direction of the enemy. Not this "oh, his pixel appeared in the corner of my screen! CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICKITY CLICK" nonsense.
    Real life? Life is real?!

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    I've never found the excitement in hardcore. It'd be like putting shotgun on instagib. You don't really need to aim at all as long as you hit them (because they'll usually die). The normal portion seems to be a good amount between reflexes and accuracy; you don't always need to see the opponent before they see you, as long you have better accuracy.

Then again, I like to knife-only, so that makes it a lot harder lol

Senior Member MexicanPadre is on a distinguished road
    The only thing that is good about COD is This, but COD really isn't that bad of a game if you look at multiplayer. It's just really hyped up.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by MexicanPadre View Post
    The only thing that is good about COD is This, but COD really isn't that bad of a game if you look at multiplayer. It's just really hyped up.
    CoD games leave a better first and second impression than quake, but they simply don't have the long lasting appeal quake has and that's why no one is really passionate about that series. Problem is to get to love quake you have to endure the bad parts first and dodge the noob traps called ca and instagib.

I know I posted this on esr but it's the perfect analogy. Quake is like learning how to play guitar: hard at the beginning but very satisfying afterwards. CA is a guitar with one string.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

+ Reply to Thread