+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ping varies depending on server location

Junior Member koan is on a distinguished road

Ping drastically varies depending on server location (ie. UK and NL)

Hi,

Recently, I'm finding that my ping will drastically vary depending on which server I'm on. Specifically, I'm generally averaging around 30 for the UK, which is perfectly fine, but bizarrely will average a stable 100+ (not lagging or spiking) for the Netherlands at the same time. I can literally connect to a Netherlands server, see that my ping is a steady 100+, immediately leave and join a UK server to see that my ping is 30.
    Last edited by koan; 12-17-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by koan View Post
    Ping varies depending on server location
    You could have knocked me over with a feather..

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't quite sure if this was a troll post or if I was completely missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't quite sure if this was a troll post or if I was completely missing something.
    Aha, sadly not. I've altered the subject line to make it clearer. As both servers are fairly close, and I used to ping around 30 on the Netherlands server in the past, it seems strange that it's often around 100+ now, but still 30 for the UK.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Obviously there will be different pings between different locations. And yes, it's surely a routing issue, but it's outside of your control.

Geography (and speed of light) sets the minimum ping, but on current age Internet, there is no maximum, even if you're pinging a server kilometer away. Try FR/DE and compare.

If you're more interested where exactly it broke, or want to help your ISP resolve this problem, check this post from Yakumo with some tools that help visualize the route your packets take to server.

Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    Obviously there will be different pings between different locations. And yes, it's surely a routing issue, but it's outside of your control.

Geography (and speed of light) sets the minimum ping, but on current age Internet, there is no maximum, even if you're pinging a server kilometer away. Try FR/DE and compare.

If you're more interested where exactly it broke, or want to help your ISP resolve this problem, check this post from Yakumo with some tools that help visualize the route your packets take to server.
    Thanks, I suspected as such (regarding routing). Read Yakumo's post as well, which was very informative. Will try FR/DE.

+ Reply to Thread