+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Get me out of t4!

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by infntnub View Post
    All I'm trying to say is with the current setup; if you're stuck as a "tweener" who is good enough to get bumped up constantly to a higher tier but not quite strong enough to stay there the game can become highly frustrating. :~)
    That's where you should set a handicap.
    Most people go through that phase, or end up stuck in that phase if they act like you.
    What I did back then, was setting a handicap. At first 90, later it increased to about 75. In the end I think I even managed to play decent with a 50 handicap now and then. Also did a lot of rail-only in CA. It can be surprising how well you can actually manage to stay alive with only using a railgun (you actually have a chance in a 1on1 vs someone who is using lg). When my railing was good enough, and I started to get bugged with those really low handicaps, I decided to give tier 4 a try. And stayed there.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    @kaas

both sides are considered. the thing is that what you're portraying is something i've seen people discuss even on the forums here.

and it is possible to do that...

@lolzy dont worry im here for you =D
    Last edited by danstar; 02-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infntnub View Post
    I disagree with the "balance itself with time" part of your post Flash; I actually gave up on CA since I kept bouncing back from T3 to T4 - I'm either T3 or I'm T4. The fact the game couldn't figure out where I belong between June and August got me fed up and I just stopped playing altogether for a few months lol.
    >I'm either T3 or I'm T4.
    No. Someone's skill isn't as defined as that. You can't say that player A has a skill of Z and that it never changes. When I started playing Quake in 2010 I must have been horrible, probably on the lower end of CA's T2. Now I only have difficulty against the best CA players in T4. Any skill system has to take changes into account. With the way QL's system is made, it is normal for someone whose skill is around the frontier between two tiers to jump between both. Usually, the players get better over time and spend less and less time in the lower tier. I agree that this is not the best situation as you find yourself either destroying T(n-1) or being destroyed in T(n) (if the gap is wide). As someone else said, try to get around it by using an handicap.

Senior Member MajkiFajki is on a distinguished road
    It's all fun and laughs with those tiers, but getting destroyed by rest of players is experience far from pleasure which video games should deliver :|

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ihateu View Post
    I tried a handicap, rail only
    Either your handicap wasn't big enough, or you were already good for tier 4.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by MajkiFajki View Post
    It's all fun and laughs with those tiers, but getting destroyed by rest of players is experience far from pleasure which video games should deliver :|
    Best advice is improving. Me and most old school players never had a tier problem to begin with.

Right now you pubstomp tier3, next step is pubstomping tier4. Then come being admitted in pickup games, duel, cups, etc, which means pub play tier4 is still low skill to some people so there's a lot of room to improve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

You know - it's only a game...

It's not like you need to study the game or something. Just by timing you should roflstomp 90% of ffas/ctfs and with the slightest bit of dedication you should do well in tier4, for example practicing trick jumps (it's still playing the game. Defrag people actually enjoy it so much they don't shoot each other)
    Last edited by megaman3; 02-13-2013 at 02:37 PM.

I play CTF mostly, sir - FFA is boring in the long run.

ctf is a lot about trick jumping, considering in QL it's about getting someone stacked who then pulls off a jumping or rocket jumping trick (rule of thumb is not fighting when you are carrying the flag). There's something you can practice and ideas on what to practice are on youtube (lets say "quake live ctf2 jumps", or quake3 since it's the same).

if you defend or do mid (depending on the map) you should use a zoom bind and time items, no matter if you are picking them up or not. You can always hit more rail % :P.

be a team player, like dropping weapons, regen and so on. Actually youtube can help on that as well, like watching a match to look what teams do on each map.

play duel. That's the fastest and best way to improve in quake because you are on your own. Just be sure to remember ctf is a team game instead of 1 against 4.

With those 4 advices and practicing them it's at least a tier higher than before in a month, but then again there's tier4 public ctf and then there's actual matches with divisions (lets say the former is equivalent to div4 ctf).
    Last edited by megaman3; 02-13-2013 at 03:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread