+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Show hit direction

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    It's helpful in CoD because if they have a silencer you're rarely able to hear where it came from.
    I am confused here. Why would CoD have a silencer in first place? Same goes to CS with Colt. If you would have a direction notificator and moderate map knowledge, you can pinpoint enemy's location barely seeing him. I can't really see any logic here.
    VG278HE@120Hz@LightBoost + EC2evo + G-TF speed + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vurun View Post
    I am confused here. Why would CoD have a silencer in first place? Same goes to CS with Colt. If you would have a direction notificator and moderate map knowledge, you can pinpoint enemy's location barely seeing him. I can't really see any logic here.
    Guns have silencers so you don't hear them...therefore it's good to be able to see them...I don't fully understand what you're confused about.

Senior Member MajkiFajki is on a distinguished road
    If there would be hit drection marks on screen, I assure you, before your brain read them, enemy will be far far away - Quake is much faster than COD/CS. You get hits from players who are air-borne, strafe jumping, bunny hopping, etc. Pointless and worthless info it would be :]

Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    Guns have silencers so you don't hear them...therefore it's good to be able to see them...I don't fully understand what you're confused about.
    Silencer is meant to hide shooter's location. Why would a game need a silencer, if it exposes that location with visual indicators? I can't hear you, because you use a silencer, but I still know where are you exactly, because you have a big sign above you reading "he did it".

*AlTec
    F2.
    Learn to listen and look around. The point of ambush (with SG for example) - shoot and cover while your opponent needs some extra second to realize where did that come from.
    I've seen that kind of info in some CoD or smth... it's ********.
    You can't hear rail from long distance and if shooter cover immediately You don't know from which direction.

If You are confused - ask a frind to join a empty server and test, and get wiser...

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Silencer is meant to hide shooter's location. Why would a game need a silencer, if it exposes that location with visual indicators? I can't hear you, because you use a silencer, but I still know where are you exactly, because you have a big sign above you reading "he did it".
    It's not as easy as you think it is to determine where you get hit from with them. It's not like "HEY! THEY'RE RIGHT HERE!". All it shows is the direction, but it gives a player at least something to respond to so they can fight back. Using a silencer doesn't tell anyone other than the person you hit, and if you die before you figure out where they are via direction, you'll know exactly where they are from the killcam. (Unless you turn it off)

Senior Member filo is on a distinguished road filo's Avatar
    like lorfa said use cg_screendamage 1 and increase cg_railtrailtime to 1500 and use these visual clues as a direction enhancer.

I dont have any of that turned on, cuz i am aware of where i am standing on the map and from where an enemy can appear, so i try to stay at points on the map, that i know where the enemy is coming from AND try not to expose my back to corridors where i dont see what is happing.

So i think your biggest issue is not that you dont know, from where you are being shot at, but your positioning on the map and map awareness -knowing the map, knowing where players move more often/less often, angle of attack to a room/corridor and so on ...

This is why i like maps like campgrounds, almostlost, quarantine, trinity, asylum, devilish, hiddenfortress, seamsandbolts, cannedheat more then maps like hells gates, thunderstruck and so on, because they give me more of a challange in terms of thinking about movment, my -on map position, where should i go, awareness of enemy players and all that gets even tougher and exciting while doing with rocketjumps flying all-over the place eather if its CTF or CA. :}

Quote Originally Posted by AlTec View Post
    You can't hear rail from long distance and if shooter cover immediately You don't know from which direction.

If You are confused - ask a frind to join a empty server and test, and get wiser...
    cg_railTrailTime. And a map knowledge in general. Nuff said.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Long railtrailtimes just block Line of Sight for me. I have it at 100ms.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    New CoDs are weird, very weird. For example the very latest one on consoles (no idea about the PC version. Last one I played on the pc was mw2) was made to intentionally have bad positional sound on enemy footsteps so headphone users don't have an advantage. Plus it is practically impossible to use headphones on that game anyway since explosions are absurdly loud no matter the in-game or dac/amp setup (tried 2 headphones, with and without my fiio e17).

edit: about black ops 2, I know the official headset comes with a dac/amp that supposedly has an option to reduce explosion sound ("blast limiter") but I have never tried it. I did google it and found nothing specific about it. What people say though is just complains about them being useless anyway because of the said enemy footstep issue, and that's the official headset with cheats built in it.

And I don't get the OP's problem. I have never, ever experienced it in quake, a game and franchise in which the only long range weapon has a trail that shows where the shot came from. For all the rest (and the rail too in 99% of maps) sound alone is fine to know where the shots come from: there's not even the need to use the trail that's on by default.
    QL has a pretty bad vertical positional sound for some reason (been discussed to death on the community site. Q3 has objectively better positional sound) but still there's no problem to distinguish where you are being shot from.
    Last edited by megaman3; 02-13-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

+ Reply to Thread