+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Game feels broken - help is needed.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    c3, will disabling any of those settings in BIOS mess with my overclock?

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPHIREM View Post
    Mine was like that when idle. A bios update fixed it for me. Now idle it is like 2 us.

It still goes to 1000 under load but it is relatively steady.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPHIREM View Post
    c3, I didn't really have time to go through all of what is written in the guide and to be honest, I'm not really that knowledgeable about computers. It takes time for me to swallow all of that. But still, thank you for the effort.

What I did do is that I downloaded that latency checker and let it run for 5 minutes. I guess the result is not so good, eh?

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hwigjl.jpg

After that test I played a few games. It felt a bit "off" at the times, but it was tolerable somehow.
    Thanks for posting that as it speaks volumes to your problem.

I believe your DPC latency test concludes that you have some rather serious 'DPC Latency' issues with your computer which implements a significant amount of unnecessary input lag, stutter, sluggish movement, etc. At this point, DPC Latency Checker should be your best friend so you can tweak your system and check to see if your DPC Latency has improved.

Your DPC latency ranges from 42-751us, which is absolutely horrible. I wouldn't be surprised if you also have a lot of 'cracking & popping' w/ your audio. My DPC Latency ranges from 2us-15us. Your test illustrates that you're spiking in the upwards of 700us at consistent intervals. This can be caused by many things... Off the top of my head, try the below tweaks, and after each tweak, re-check your DPC Latency.

1) Open up your services.msc app. Click the start button and type services, open it up. Check the link I gave you and find out what services you should disable as many window's services cause significant DPC Latency spikes. For starters, find 'Window's Event Log' and disable it. There are several other services that can cause this.

2) This suggestion may be even more likely to be causing your latency issue. You may have a faulty driver causing these spikes... this is very common and something I've dealt w/ quite a bit myself.

Open up your device manager (right click my computer then click properties) and disable your devices one-by-one. Check your DPC Latency each time you disable a device (network card, audio device, rom drive (dvd, blu-ray, etc), wireless device. If you discover that your DPC Latency has ceased all spikes and has lowered significantly, you have found the culprit to your problem. Uninstall the driver and roll back to the previous one or newest release. If you're already on the driver's newest release, roll it back.

Also, make sure to properly update your motherboard's intel/amd chipset drivers to the most current. Lastly, go to your motherboard's manufacturer website and download the most current BIOS version and update. Your BIOS version can also be causing these spikes.

It's a pain in the a$$ troubleshooting process, but it's necessary to resolve your problem. I know I said this before, but make sure all your C-power saving settings are disabled, HPET, cool n quiet, hyper-threading... check the guide I gave you.

Start testing and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    c3, will disabling any of those settings in BIOS mess with my overclock?
    Cat, as you know, overclocking is a science, and depending on how you have overclocked your machine, these c-state power settings may affect your overclock, but it will likely affect your overclock in a positive manner. These settings restrict power to your system/cpu, and many overclockers disable all c-state settings to maximize their overclock, but it's situational depending on your setup.

Personally, I'd suggest disabling all your c-state settings, checking your DPC Latency before and after, then running a stress test on your CPU with your c-state settings disabled. Many will run a stress test over 24/hrs, but doing it for at least 2-3/hrs is necessary. If you're unsure how to run a stress test for overclocking, google it. Many great guides out there, and I'm hoping you have an aftermarket cpu cooler or I wouldn't be overclocking.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    I overclocked my CPU when I got my computer. It's at 4.3GHz and it maxes out at about 67 or 68 degrees C with Prime95 running for an hour.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    hehe, I've been searching YEARS for the reason Tell me when you've found it. Until then I'll accept the fact that I suddenly unlearn some skills (like railing) under certain preconditions
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    I overclocked my CPU when I got my computer. It's at 4.3GHz and it maxes out at about 67 or 68 degrees C with Prime95 running for an hour.
    If you're maxing out at 67-68/deg, then you're solid.

Trying disabling your c-state power settings (all of them) in your BIOS, and check your DPC latency 'BEFORE & AFTER.' If your DPC Latency has much improved (it should), download a stress test program for oc'ing and stress your system for as long as you can. See if it has any impact on your peak cpu temperature. If it's negligible, disable those suckers. IMO, this is a MUST for gamers. Those settings implement a good deal of input lag because your system is restricted of a consistent max power throughput.

I've isolated DPC Latency spikes caused by the Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network driver. Problem is there are no later versions of it that I can get that fixes it and I kinda need it to have an internet connection.

Problem persists with Microsoft Security Essentials' RTP disabled, so that's not it.

EDIT: Further testing and googling reveals that the problem is with Malwarebytes' malicious website blocking... Disabled that. Now the highest spikes are at 400us every minute or so. 50us average when using my soundcard, 10us when no sound is playing.

Senior Member NEPHIREM is on a distinguished road NEPHIREM's Avatar
    I'm back. After some tests I found the culprit to be Realtek Ethernet adapter driver. I manually downloaded the newest version from their site, result is this:

http://i47.tinypic.com/rtdyjn.jpg

Didn't test it in-game yet, but many thanks for help you provided, c3.

Senior Member GoBotz is on a distinguished road GoBotz's Avatar
    I ran the dpc test normal and under load... load being... fl studio with a bunch of plugins running.... ql in windowed mode and a movie playing in media player classic. Normal things run tween 5-10 us and under load 15-25. Still experiencing the same problems in game. Have tweaked my system, graphics drivers ect ect ect. I've never had fps issues... steady 125 on all maps. There doesn't seem to be anything to do about it.I don't have any of these problems in other games.

+ Reply to Thread